Thursday, September 20, 2007

Today Has Not Begun Well

The Spouse is my snooze alarm. About 5 minutes after my alarm brutally rings, he comes to me with a cup of coffee and a goodbye kiss. A most excellent way to begin one's day.

This morning he came in with the kiss and an apology. He'd managed to make coffee without installing the pot. And he had to go to work. Oops. Sorry.

But that wasn't the worst of it.

Sure, there was a pool of coffee on the kitchen floor but I have to mop today anyway. No, the problem was other.

First, there are no coffee beans in the house. No where. Which means that the only coffee available is the emergency pre-ground stuff that was leftover from the Big Blow. Fine. The adage "coffee is coffee" is not one I ascribe to, but a sip or two of hot beverage is still required.

The situation is not optimal but it is times like these that test one's character. I was brave.

Except that something, and heaven only knows what, has rendered the coffee maker mute. It will not light up. The little digital clock face is blank. I unplugged and replugged the machine (because that's the first thing you do in any mechanical misfire). Nothing. I smacked it, gently, but smacked it. Nothing. I swore at it. Still nothing.

Having exhausted my technical repertoire, I boiled some water and made some totally crappy coffee with the emergency* crap.

Fortunately, I do not have time to sit around and worry about this unfortunate turn of events. I have a house guest coming tomorrow and preparations must be made. Including getting some decent coffee into the house.



Yesterday The Child and I went out to harvest grapes. Ah, the vendage. The harvest was not as bountiful as last year but there look to be enough to make jelly and juice. But that's not the important bit. The important bit was that as I was harvesting on one side of the vines and she on the other, I was thinking to myself that this was one of those perfect moments: brisk autumn breeze, the rustle of leaves, the snip of the shears, the scent of the grapes warmed by the sun. It made me recall moments on the farm, harvesting this or that with my grandpa or Dame Judi...little moments so perfectly perfect that they swell and make it seem, in memory as if growing up was always late summer, always harvest. And it made me wonder, as I do from time to time, what moments of her childhood will stick with The Child in that way?

And as I was thinking that The Child sighed and said, "I really love doing this, mama. It's one of my favorite things". She went on to rhapsodize about the glory of grapes, how they need so little effort...just planting and watering and pruning to yield satisfying fruit. She asked if I'd be making a winemaker's cake with some of the grapes and if there would be enough for her favorite juice. She told me that she wants to own a vineyard when she grows up.

I almost cried.


*Note to self: get decent coffee for the emergency rations. What? We're going to compound the stress of a cataclysm by drinking crap? I think not.



Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown opined...

The no coffee thing? Totally unacceptable. I think I'd be crying if that were me, or screaming at someone. :) Sounds like the coffeemaker is kaput. The Child's comment would make me cry too. Way too sweet! I hope the rest of the day goes far better. At least you didn't slip on frost and bust your behind (see my post for reference).

September 20, 2007 11:00 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Completely and thoroughly unacceptable. I am seriously put out.

September 20, 2007 11:06 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

That was beautiful. It made me a little moist.

September 20, 2007 11:26 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

my eyes are a bit shiny too. good kid, that one.

September 20, 2007 11:27 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Here's a towelette, Buck.

Thank you for your support, Anne. In times of crisis it's good to know that...oh. Wait. You're not crying because of the coffee situation, are you?

Carry on.

September 20, 2007 12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I want to own a vineyard when I grow up too!

September 20, 2007 12:04 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Remember we hav ethe spare coffee maker in the garage

September 20, 2007 12:50 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

They are doing construction between my place of employment and the little cafe that supports my addiction. I actually cursed violently at the hapless flagger standing next to the row of cones with her stop sign. Could they not have left out TWO cones -- just two -- in order allow vehicles to turn into the cafe? Is that TOO FRIGGIN MUCH TO ASK? Are they TRYING to exacerbate INSANITY?!

OK. Breathe. Sorry.

And that stuff with the child ... again, stretch marks, worth it.

September 20, 2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

PS: I just re-read that; my windows were up. The flagger didn't know (i think) that I was cursing at her. I'm not that mean. But if they keep this crap up, I may be...

September 20, 2007 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Two things:

1) you can always come to my house and get beans/brewing capability

2) did you check your fuse to the electrical plug? The pot may be fine, just a blown fuse

helpfully,

nayb

September 20, 2007 2:06 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Wow, what a cool story -- the Child bit; not the stuff about the coffee. I get all my weekday morning coffee from the indie-coffee-shoppe down the street anyway, but I had a similar situation a few weekends ago -- not pretty.

I've never harvested grapes, but the memories that bring me joy in my adulthood are similarly random and just happy in a calm way, not the exuberantly joyful moments one would expect to remember. I just think it's cool that one of her "favorite things" is something that many folks would consider WORK. Because work isn't always bad, and you can work at things you love, after all.

My last profound thought: Winemaker's cake? I don't know what that is, but I'm intrigued ...

September 20, 2007 2:38 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It's good to have goals, JP.

Yeah, but it makes crap coffee. I'm so distressed about the Cuisinart.

You'd think, in a land known for its coffee, that even the DOT would make allowances for the coffee shops, no? And I"m glad your windows were up, Cowbell.

Oh, hallelujah! That IS the problem, Nayb! Oh happy day (oh happy day) oh happy day (oh happy day).

Red, it's a yummy cake that is made with, well, grapes. I think I wrote about it last summer...

September 20, 2007 2:59 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I hope the visit goes well.
I wish we going to be there.

September 20, 2007 6:09 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Swearing at the coffee maker didn't work??..Try harder.
...then bottle this vintage memory of The Child,and decant it on the occasion of her firstborn...

September 20, 2007 10:35 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Well done: you and yor daughter just managed to live in the moment! A rare feat. (Which reminds me that I really should watch my DVD of Into Great Silence before too...)

Is your guest who I think it is? The guy who was horrified when I offered him a virtual pint of bitter...?

September 21, 2007 6:38 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Oops! Excuse the typos! (typed in haste...)

September 21, 2007 6:39 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Iwanski, I wish you guys were going to be here, too!

Sling, that is just beautiful. Not the swearing at the machine part...the decanting bit. Love it.

One and the same, Dariush. Only this time the bitter will be real.

September 21, 2007 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home