Thursday, January 25, 2007

Problem Solved

First of all, thanks to Mollie, BALT & Dana for offering creative suggestions to my gift giving dilemma.

Second of all, God bless Kina.

She just called with a brilliant idea. She suggested that, since I'm a writer and all that, I write something for The Child about what her birthday means to me, the promise it holds for her and such like that there. She then suggested that I put it in a little keepsake box or some such.

This idea is fab for a couple of reasons, not the least of them being the fact that I was also planning to take The Child to dinner in the next couple of weeks, just her and me. Only when we get to the restaurant we would be greeted by the other women who are important in her life, like The Neighbor, Seattle Coffee Girl, Kina and ReeRee, for starters. The purpose of this dinner would be to ritualize the fact that she has all these amazing women in her life who have and will continue to support and guide her as she makes the journey from childhood to womanhood. Women who will share their advice and experience whenever she needs it. (It has always been very important to me that she have other women in her life, for those inevitable times when talking to me won't feel like an option). I had thought that they could all bring a piece of advice that has served them well, written on a note, that she could keep against the challenging times ahead.

So there you go. She's getting a Box o' Wisdom for her birthday. And maybe some earrings.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

That Kina, she's a brilliant one.

BALT

January 25, 2007 1:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I know. We are so keeping her.

January 25, 2007 1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

In my next life, I am coming back as one of your children and that's all there is to it.

January 25, 2007 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

"You Know, candle sticks make a nice gift."

January 25, 2007 1:40 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ok, Eva, but you're still going to have to clean your room.

Crash, What are you doin' later tonight?

January 25, 2007 1:43 PM  
Blogger jLow opined...

What an incredible birthday the Child is going to have!!!!

She is NEVER going to forget it because it will be imprinted on her heart forever.

January 25, 2007 2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Doing tonight? Tonight I believe....

The secret word is
bpffooa
Excuse me

January 25, 2007 2:15 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I'm with Evangeline, I want to be your daughter as well and I promise to keep my room clean if I get a great car when I am 16!

January 25, 2007 2:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I hope so Jlow...the 13 $5 bills may seem more exciting for now but hopefully the Box o' Wisdom will last longer.

Crash, 3 words: must see TV.

Kendall: You get the 2000 Focus with the dented driver's side door. But you can keep all the change that you find under the backseat.

January 25, 2007 2:34 PM  
Blogger Renee opined...

Do you really have a Focus too?
Funny.

I think the Child will love your gift. Now and fifty years from now.

If I ever have a daughter, I'm stealing the idea.

January 25, 2007 2:39 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Your so cool. That is like the best idea evah...

January 25, 2007 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I want to contribute to the wisdom box!

Write this down: "If he does not call you within 2 days he doesn't deserve you in the first place. But save his number in your phone, so that when he does call you'll know who it is and can make sure not to answer it."

January 25, 2007 3:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Renee, Yep. A silver one. Like everyone else. And you are more than welcome to the idea.

Grish, Everyone should have a brilliant friend like Kina.

JP, That is awesome advice, it will be included and you just gave me a superfantastic idea.

January 25, 2007 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home