Thursday, January 25, 2007

I've Got a Problem

Tomorrow is The Child's birthday and I don't have a present for her.

Dame Judi and Sean are probably giving her a gift card to some cool store.

John and ChouChou are giving her 13 $5 bills.

Her godparents are taking us all out for a superfantastic dinner at a superfantastic restaurant AND they want to give her a spa day outing.

I. Got. Nothin'.

She really wants a cell phone but she isn't getting one of those until she needs it. Which she doesn't. Not to mention I'm not shelling out bucks for something that she's going to end up leaving somewhere. Because she will. This is a kid who is still not always remembering to bring home her coat and lunchbox. An iPod is out of the question, for the same reason.

When she was little it was no big deal. A book, a toy, a cute little top...it was easy. Just walk into a shop, swing a dead cat and buy the first thing I hit.

But 13 is a big deal. It requires something more or less memorable. Doesn't it? Of course, I don't remember what I got for my 13th birthday.

She has a watch. Which she never wears. I could give her some nice earrings but she always loses those, too. She has all the Harry Potter paraphernalia a girl could want. She has all the current CDs of all the music she's into. She doesn't need a computer game and Lord knows I don't want to get anything just to be getting it.

So what do I get that will commemorate this auspices occasion, that won't break the bank, that won't just be some "thing" that will sit around in her room until I toss it out in a frenzy of decluttering?

A trip is out. She's going to Chicago this summer and France the summer after.
She's too young to drive and if we ever do give her a car it's going to be because I've upgraded and she can have my old one. She has a bike, she doesn't skateboard or ski. She's got a dog and a cat and we don't have room for a pony. She's still too young for a training tiara.

I'm completely, thoroughly and overwhelmingly stumped.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Mollie opined...

I think creativity is called for here, in honor of this momentous birthday... It seems like you spend lots of time together already, so perhaps the gift of your time wouldn't be so very exciting, but I bet you could come up with something simple but special that you could do together. Like, take her to a movie and then out to dinner, just the two of you - something like that? (I can't remember anything I got for my 13th either, by the way.)

Oh, and P.S. Hi! from a longtime lurker.

January 25, 2007 11:32 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Mollie, First of all, hi and thanks for delurking! Keep it up.

And yeah, I'm thinking something creative and out-of-the-box is what's required. I just am having a devil of a time thinking up something!

January 25, 2007 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I know you listed an aversion to gifting her with earrings, but I think you could get screw posts on these and she'd never be able to get them off. Which is a good thing.

http://www.benbridge.com/store/catalog/Diamond-solitaire-earrings-14K-p-6959.html

BALT

January 25, 2007 11:53 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

BALT, She did mention that last night she dreamed of getting diamond earrings for her birthday. It might be wiser to just take the money and let her flush it down the toilet. That could be fun, too.

January 25, 2007 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Tee hee.

January 25, 2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger Dana opined...

Any favorite musicians coming into town soon? When I was 13, I would have loved tickets to my first kind of grown up "rock" concert. Debbie Gibson or Tiffany would have made my day.

January 25, 2007 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh wow, tomorrow is my nephews birthday. He will be 14. Could an arranged marriage be on the horizon? Perhaps we should play a little game of shadchan. Then again, she's Catholic, he's Mormon and neither of them appear to be Hindu or Jewish. Ah well.

January 25, 2007 12:44 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Eva, Let me know if he converts.

January 25, 2007 12:47 PM  
Blogger Elroy opined...

For the record, my oldest daughter (12 going on 47) loses just about everything. The one thing she does seem to keep track of is her cell phone. I have no idea what this is.

January 25, 2007 1:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

That's because Julie welded it to her head. I was there.

January 25, 2007 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home