Friday, January 19, 2007

A Mess O' Random Things

Things I Bought at the Grocery Store Today

Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese. We always have a large thop of Tillamook medium cheddar around the house but ever since Legal Alien sent me his electoral debt I've been jonesing for some nice sharp cheddar with my evening apple. I'm sure it won't be as good as the stuff LA sent but it will make me happy.

Stuff for pizza. The Child has taken to making dinner on Friday night. Trader Joe's was out of pepperoni so we'll have proscuitto. Pizza and a movie. Is there much better than that? Well, yes...having a night off from cooking myself.

A "1" candle and a "3" candle. Someone in this house has a very important birthday next Friday. And may I just say, for the record, she is feeling every inch of that impending birthday, alternately embracing it and freaking out. Which is to say that she has been a wicked pain in the ass most of the time. When she's not pulling faces, yelling at us or pushing boundaries like she's getting paid for it, she is a cuddly booface. Last night, for example, after entirely too much stürm und dräng, she wanted me to sing her a lullaby. And that's why they invented boarding school.


A tin of cookies. But not just any tin. I'm a sucker for packaging. Sad but true. Trader Joe's had tins of French butter biscuits from Brittany. More to the point, they were in a charming faïence (also known as Quimper) tin. With a rooster on it, no less. And you now how I am about French stuff. And chickens. Hello? It was calling my name. See how cute?
















I don't know if the cookies are any good and I don't even care. They've already been transferred to the cookie jar and the tin is now on my desk holding unattractive but necessary desk items. And all for $2.




When we were in Nantes for Nicole's wedding I mentioned wanting to get a piece of Quimper before I left. One of her French friends was disgusted. "Oh, that crap!" he exclaimed, "Why would you want something so tacky?" He likened it to visiting Seattle and coming away with a Space Needle snowglobe. I politely begged to differ but I think from that moment on he assumed I must live in a trailer park.


Undeterred, I bought a sweet vase for something like 75 francs.




















It especially nice when filled with daffodils or tulips.


































Other stuff:


During the snow we put down cat litter on some icy spots and now whenever anyone comes into the house they track these ghosty white footprints through the living room. I really need to sweep that stuff up because this mopping every day thing is so not my style. Although my floors haven't been this clean since we moved in.


The Child has a speech tournament tomorrow. This is of no consequence to me as we established last time that she doesn't want me around. I'll drop her in the morning and pick her up in the evening. Thus there will be no interference with my VJ duties over at "Here's the 80s", which is all I care about on Saturdays. I'm excited about this weekend's theme, mostly because I'm going to get to play a bunch of artists that I really like. Plus it's going to be fun to see how long it takes anyone to figure out the theme, which must be stated in the correct phrase in order to win the big prize. "You should definitely come over and play", she said, jumping quickly onto the Shameless Self-promotion bandwagon.

Good News/Potentially Bad News
In talking with our principal yesterday it turns out that we probably won't have to make up any snow days, partly because we have a longer school day than many of the other Catholic schools plus have the equivalent of 2 emergency days built into the schedule. So we haven't cut that much into our required hours for the year. She has proposed to the archdiocese that we have full sessions on the first Friday of the remaining months of the school year (usually the kids get out at noon on First Friday) and if they approve then we won't have to change the last day of school. The bad news? The Farmer's Almanac predicted that this would be a hard winter here. It correctly predicted all the rain and snow in November, the Big Blow in December and the snow we just had. Guess what it has to say about February? And I quote, "The heaviest snow will fall in mid- to late February". Out of the woods yet, not so much.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I, too, purchased some extra sharp cheddar for my traditional wintry grilled cheese and tomato soup Friday night spectacular. But the thumb as garnish was new. Don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon.
"Pizza and a movie. Is there much better than that? Well, yes...having a night off from cooking myself."
I don't recommend the cooking of oneself. As I just found out, sadly (suckles burnt thumb).

January 19, 2007 4:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grilled cheese and tomato soup. Yum! Sawed off thumbs, not so much. (drops a healing mama smooch on the bloody stump)

And I appreciate your advise but I rather enjoy cooking myself more of the time. I'm particularly tasty in a slow cooked tomato sauce. I also do nicely if I just braise slowly in the oven all afternoon.

January 19, 2007 4:33 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I'm a fan of a good brie myself (so, so gay).

The people who write the Farmer's Almanac scare me. They been drinkin' of the devil's hoodoo they predict the future so well. Spooky.

January 19, 2007 5:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Red, Oh, so gay. We straight people only eat brie when we go to cocktail parties hosted by gay people. Little known fact.

January 19, 2007 5:20 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Truth be told, the only time I eat brie is at cocktail parties hosted by gay people. Perhaps that's why I'm so fond of it.

January 19, 2007 6:48 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Hey!..I went to the Tillamook cheese factory and had 100 year old cheese and...WHAT??...A teenage Child in the house?...I'm outta here.

January 19, 2007 8:28 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, No!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't leave me in my hour of need! I'm going to need all the help I can get!

January 19, 2007 8:57 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Hey tell the child happy B-day for us..

and save me a slice of Pizza. It's an almost perfect food..

January 20, 2007 4:11 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Oh my goodness, I just feel so inordinately relieved about the decision that the kids won't have to tag extra days onto the end of their school year.

I'm a teacher and the thought of my summer holiday being eaten into is the epitome of horror, and I mean that in the most forceful 'Marlon Brando / Apocalypse Now' way!

January 20, 2007 6:27 AM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

(1) Trailer park cuisine ain't so bad. Boxed wine and a bag of Cheetos make Friday night something special.

(2) I'm pretty sure you exceeded your umlaut quota today. Expect a letter from either the NSA or the MLA.

(3) I love Trader Joe's. If it were possible to marry a corporation, I would.

January 20, 2007 6:53 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

G: Your slice is in the fridge but I can't guarantee it will last beyond The Spouse's lunch-time urges. So you'd better hurry on over here. (We'll make some more in May).

D: I knew that would make you happy. (Forceful image duly noted).

LA: I love Cheetos. I love umlauts. I'm pretty much going steady with Costco but I admit to flirting with TJ's all the time.

January 20, 2007 7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home