Saturday, January 06, 2007

12th Night, or Morning as the Case May Be

I will be baking cakes today. Lots and lots of cakes. You may recall that I had baked a dozen mini eggnog bundt cakes to give our to the teachers and staff at The Child's school. That same night the worst storm in 412 years blew in, disrupting our lives for a week. Which meant that the cakes were given out to neighbors and hungry linemen.

I had decided to make another batch by the time school began again but the general laziness of Christmas week prevented me from caring. So I figured, hey! I'll make 'em for Epiphany. Which is today, but the point is that there will be a little token of appreciation for all the nice people at school come Monday and won't they be surprised what with Christmas being over and all that?

Then we also need a 12th Night Cake for dinner. I'd hazard a guess, because I could care less about researching it, that there is a traditional recipe for 12th night cakes and I'll just bet you lots of dried and/or candied fruits are involved. Which would make that a non-starter around here. So every year I make up a nice light orange cake that is very delicious and which looks very pretty when baked in the bundt pan that looks sort of like a cathedral and then sprinkled with confectioner's sugar. All I have to do to make it into a proper 12th night cake is remember to stir a charm or coin into the batter. The person who finds the charm (hopefully without breaking his or her teeth) is the King or Queen of the Feast. And since 12th Night is falling on a Saturday, we'll actually be able to give the King/Queen their proper due, which is to be allowed to choose the entertainments for the evening. Oh! And I need to make a crown. There's some tinselly stuff around here somewhere.

The Spouse will shortly be making enchilada sauce. The Child is going to help me "make the table small", one of the final of the Christmas rituals, as it turns out. For 2 weeks now it has been stretched out full, all leaves in, surrounded by chairs and taking up quite a lot of room. It has accomodated a lot of friends and food and that's been very nice. But 12 days of feasting really is enough, thank you very much. It will be nice to take down the very last of the Christmas trappings, burn the greens from the mantal on the fire tonight and sit cozily around a table sized for four.

The Neighbor will be joining us for our last feast, which will be lovely. (And which makes me think that this year's Cake should be individual bundts because with just 4 feasting we might have to eat our way through a lot of cake to find the charm. Eating a lot of cake may sound like a good thing but The Spouse is making his amazing bigger-than-your-head chimichangas for dinner and there won't be a ton of room left for cake. Trust me).

Hope you have a very nice Saturday...come on over to Here's the 80s for a little musical fun. That's likely where I'll be the rest of the day.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Just starting my day, can't wait for the chimis tonight and the eggnog cake - Happy Ephipany!

XO nayb

January 06, 2007 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

make that Epiphany - I'm edjamacated.

January 06, 2007 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

make that neighbor - I should go back to bed now.

January 06, 2007 11:47 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Golly, hon, you're very sleepy...go rest up.

January 06, 2007 12:15 PM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

o.k., your eggnog bundt cakes probably required buying eggnog (unless you made your own). I made eggnog loaves out of the Target Archer Farms mix, 3 mini loaves out of 1 $1.98 clearance price package. Reading this reminded me that I still had one in the freezer. I am eating it right now. Thanks.

January 06, 2007 9:21 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Store-bought eggnog. Life is short.

You're welcome. Hope it was yummy.

January 06, 2007 11:04 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

We don't celebrate 12th night per se, but we ceremonially take all the decorations down (which we did), AFTER we've safely delivered the three wise men to their proper places in the crib.

Your cake sounds great, though. Who found the charm?

January 07, 2007 2:08 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

D: After the ceremonial removal of the decorations, you really deserve cake. Remind me to send you some next year.

As for the charm, well, you'll see what happened in the next post.

January 07, 2007 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home