Monday, January 01, 2007

On the 7th Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me

our last day of lying around.
New Year's Day is spent like Boxing Day, always in our jammies, eating cold cuts and watching movies. Except, of course, first we had to greet Norbert, who we had asked to be our "first-footer". (A wee tradition from the old country which allows that if the first person over your threshold today is a tall, dark man you will have good luck in the new year). He arrived and we offered him scotch, as custom dictates. He politely refused, as reason and sense dictate. (Single malt scotch? At 10:30am? I am descended from comedians).
But there are little nibbling signs that this day is not like the Non Sans Jammie of Boxing Day. Everyone knows that tomorrow we get back to business. It will still be Christmas for a few more days, but work and school are back on the docket. The Spouse is ready. He realized this morning that he hasn't left the house since Mass on Christmas Eve. The Child is, of course, a little less excited but Lord have mercy, the kid has had 2 grand weeks of vacation. And she did brighten up when she realized that she gets to take in rounds from the Big Ass Tree. (They've been studying trees in class...she's pretty sure her tale of giant falling trees and the evidence thereof will score her a few extra credit points).
And so. The Spouse has gone off to fetch his bus pass for the month. The Child and I are fixin' to move her computer back into her room. And then The Neighbor will arrive, the platters will come out and we'll plug in some movies. It will be just lovely. And so will getting back on schedule tomorrow.
Hope you have a good first day of the year!

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I think that is a fabulous tradition! Tell me, does it mention anything about the tall drink of water being single and forced to linger longer? Because I could really see myself incorporating said tradition if that's the case.

January 01, 2007 11:45 AM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Happy New Year to the whole clan!

January 01, 2007 11:47 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I don't believe there are any particular requirements as to marital status and the like, Eva. Which suggests that you can take that tradition in any direction you please. And blessings on it.

Thank ye kindly, LA, and a fine and prosperous New Year to the MacAlien family.

January 01, 2007 12:11 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

What does it mean if a hungover,and slightly disoriented Lizzard King is the first to cross the threshold?..no matter...Scotch it is!

January 01, 2007 2:06 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Golly, Sling...Grandpa never told me about that...although, as you've discovered, a nip of scotch will always smooth and otherwise awkward situation.

January 01, 2007 7:51 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I wish I had a cool tree ring slice thinige to take to work tomorrow.

January 01, 2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

"Thingie" is the word I meant to type.

January 01, 2007 9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

A fine way of life ona fine day, lorraine. and how does it feel to be a published writer?

January 02, 2007 1:19 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I wish you did, too, Iwanski. I wish you did, too.


It feels kinda tingly, Charlie, but that could just be because I slept on my arm funny.

January 02, 2007 6:23 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

So that's how I get tall, dark handsome men to cross my threshold!

Hey, now that Norbert's practically famous anyway, why not seal the deal and post a picture??

January 02, 2007 6:50 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I can see this is going to become a trend...days before the New Year, single folk trying out the new pickup line..."Um, hi, my ancestors are Scottish and uh, well, I can't help but noticed that you are tall and dark and I was just wondering..."

As for the picture, you've already seen it...he's the one drinking a wee dram of scotch with The Spouse at SFYS. Also the one singing oooh ee with his little fam.

January 02, 2007 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home