Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Christmas. Day 8.

I rose nice and early so as to enjoy at least one cup of coffee, browse some blogs and generally have a little quiet before engaging in what I am reasonably sure will be a bit of a battle with The Child this a.m. Her creativity never ceases to amaze me. What will it be this morning? A sore throat? Stomach troubles? Beri-beri? She just better not angle for a mental health day, given that she just had 18 days of them.

This, btw, is one of the things I hate most about parenting: having to be all firm and "get up, young lady" when I know exactly how it feels to go back to school after a wonderful and lazy vacation. But I have to be all spit-spot and Poppins-like about things, getting her out of bed and out the door, as if I had no idea that inside she's desperately wishing to magically acquire all the "boring" stuff all the adults seem to think she and her kind need or, at the very least, hoping that when she gets to school she'll discover it really is Hogwarts after all and she is, in fact, Hermione Granger.

The Spouse, on the other hand, has sprung from his bed with the lightest of steps and seems quite eager to resume regular life. Or maybe he's just looking forward to showing off all his cool new stuff. Because I know for a fact that the Avenging Unicorn and the Horrified B Movie Victims are going to go live at his office. He will be the coolest kid in Building A.

For myself, I intended to spend the day in restoring order and writing. Actually, I'll write first, then restore order. Because I need to resume the "regular" schedule, too. I feel a little soft and doughy, physically and especially mentally. Golly. Do you realize that just 2 weeks ago we were only just digging ourselves out from the Big Blow of '06? That seems soooo long ago. Point is, we've had our bit of adventure, we've had (almost all of) our Christmas revelry and I'm hankering for a spot of Ordinary Time.



Big News: Please to be checking out this. Unbound Press has launched, thanks to all Amy and Charlie's hard work, and I think we should all applaud them. Clap clap clap.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I love it when you are spit-spot and Poppins-like.

I was once spit upon by someone named Bob Poppins, but I suspect it's not the same thing.

January 02, 2007 8:40 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, isn't that just supercalifragilisticexpialadocious?

January 02, 2007 8:42 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

order? you have order? can you pass some my way? they dont go back to school until Thursday!

January 02, 2007 9:08 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

CM, I had some order. At the moment I think it's buried under pine needles, stock pots and gift wrap. But if i do find some I'll UPS it.

Why the hell would you start school on a Thursday? What's the frakkin' point of that?

January 02, 2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Pft (blush) and pft, again.

January 02, 2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Happy New Year! The kids here start school tomorrow (Wed). And I know what you mean about having to be all spit-spot and Poppins-like. My kids hated me. If they weren't puking or didn't have a fever of 105, they went to school. I was so mean. On this end, The Spouse was dreading going back to work. A week of sleeping in until 8 (can you BELIEVE that?!) made 4:30 look much, much, MUCH too early. We did it, though. And I even went to the gym! Starting the new year off right.

January 02, 2007 12:58 PM  
Blogger barista brat opined...

hi lorraine!
i put a link to your blog on my own. hope you don't mind.

January 02, 2007 1:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Honored, I'm sure, Brat.

January 02, 2007 1:40 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Yes congrats on getting published! A big pat on the proverbial back is in order..

January 02, 2007 3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home