Wednesday, October 18, 2006

New Neighbors

I've added some new links to my blog roll, mostly because I navigate to my regular blogs through my own blog and I had grown weary of having to go look these 3 up from my "Favorites". I'm lazy like that.

I've been reading The Complaint Department for a couple months now. Here's what I like about Jlow. Her blog is funny, a bit sardonic even. She intelligent. She's married to a world-famous sheriff. She's cute as a button. Here's something else I like about her: she's a Republican. Not the vicious Ann Coulter type, not the black-and-white-my-country-right-or-wrong type. Just the old-fashioned small government/low taxes type. You know, the kind that seems to be so rare these days. Her blog isn’t all that political, either, this just happens to be a piece of the whole picture that is Jlow. And I find it refreshing.

We all know the trouble with labels. It's been too much a part of the problem in this country lately. We smoosh people into little pigeon holes and then it is much easier to dismiss them, hate them even. I'm as guilty of that as anyone, although I try not to be because I know how it feels. I have a brother-in-law who has always made assumptions about my views. Having grown weary of it, I recently challenged him to ask me what I believed about any given issue. He threw about a half dozen things at me, from gun control to abortion to capital punishment. And he ended up looking at me with a dropped jaw. In every case I did not say what he fully expected me to say. On some issues, I took a far more conservative position that his own. (He considers himself an "independent leaning libertarian"). The point was made: because a person largely votes Democrat and holds "liberal" views on some issues doesn't mean you can safely peg them.

If we were more invested in listening to each other and engaging one another in conversation there would be a lot less friction in the world. But that takes time and most people can't be bothered. The black and white comfort of labels is much easier.If it’s true that we’re judged by the company we keep then I hope what my blog roll says is that I try to keep an open mind. Everyone over there doesn't necessarily always hold the same views I do or conduct their lives according to the same precepts but I like reading them because it’s important to me that I not just curl up the comfort of my own opinions, assuming blithely that everyone thinks like I do. Because they don't always.

Plus, nearly everyone over there on the blog roll makes me laugh every day. Jlow makes me laugh. That’s super important. So stop by and say “hey” and tell her I sent you.


Two other blogs of note, Gina over at Eclectic Defined and Greeny at You Get What You Need. I found Gina through Charlie, which should be recommendation enough. But she’s also one of the nicest people ever. Among other things, she has offered to be my back-up computer geek because she’s totally into that techy stuff. That amuses me because she is an attractive, blond California girl (who doesn't live in California). There I go again, making assumptions and labeling people. Gina’s adorable and she wants me to send her figs.

Greeny is adorable, too. She doesn’t post as often as I’d like but when she does it is usually more than worth the reading. Plus she’s always questing for the ultimate cocktail…a worthy goal in my estimation.

10 Comments:

Blogger Angel Feathers Tickle Me opined...

An Angel Visits You

October 18, 2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

OMG, I am so humbled and honored, Lorraine, both by your amazing comments about me and by being added to your blog roll. You have no idea how many times I have wondered if I would ever be on your list. THANK YOU!

And btw, I think YOU are awesome and can't wait for the day that I know will come when I have the good fortune to meet you face to face.

October 18, 2006 9:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Oh, and another thing, I too navigate to my favorite blogs via YOUR blog and Charlie's! I'm going to have to check out JLow's since it sounds like she and I share political leanings. I'm always a bit reluctant to disclose my party affiliation since most of my blog buddies are of the opposite persuasion, but it's nice to hear that not all Republicans are looked askance at. I'm also not the Ann Coulter type, and I too think Republicans like Jlow and me seem to be rare these days, sadly. I really, really loved your comments about labels, politics, etc. You are the (as my daughter says) bomb-diggity Lorraine!

October 18, 2006 9:26 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Angel Feathers, tee hee.

Gina: A) Oh, stop. Except the part about meeting someday and 2) it's gotta be rough being GOP right now; for anyone who isn't a neocon by nature, that is. Y'all need to take your party back, is what I'm thinking. Go find an Eisenhower, would you? But you shouldn't be afraid to say what you think in your blog. Don't let all the big bad liberals scare you (hee hee). I love you no matter how you vote.

October 18, 2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger jLow opined...

L~ WOW! Thanks for the killer review! And even if you didn't share me on your blog, I'd remain a loyal reader of yours.

and it sounds like you, me, and G need to plan a howdy-do - - I soooo want to see Seattle.

But until then . . . we'll be sisters in spirit!

October 18, 2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You're welcome, darlin'. Seattle is waiting! (And you know, I do make my way down to your neck of the woods every now and again).

October 18, 2006 1:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

You are so right, Lorraine...we need another Ike. I'm not afraid to say stuff on my blog, really, just...well, I am reluctant, and really, most of the time, I don't really want to make political statements. Once in a while I will...but mostly my blog is just, well, like yours...about family, friends, work, and just life in general.

Thanks for introducing me to JLow... we three could have a rocking good time, don't you think?

October 18, 2006 6:14 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I think the three of us could get into some serious trouble, Gina.

October 18, 2006 6:18 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Like the new additions!

Just curious, but why are the last 3 peeps seperated. Did we do something baaad? hehe

October 19, 2006 12:44 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish, I have NO idea. The code in my template doesn't look like it should be doing that. I sent it off to Gina the Geek Girl to see if she can figure it out. You did NOT do anything bad and are not being punished. Promise.

October 19, 2006 6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home