Monday, October 16, 2006

Why, Indeed

Brooke noticed that I haven't posted the Applesauce Cake recipe. Considering how obnoxious I've been about it, that is quite a glaring omission.

Please note that as we do not like nuts and raisins inside our pastries the recipe notably leaves them out. If you are otherwise inclined you can, of course, add such things. (Eeww).


Lorraine's Applesauce Cake

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg pinch of cloves
½ teaspoon powdered ginger
2 cups applesauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream the butter. Add the brown sugar and continue mixing. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla, then mix until well blended and fluffy.

In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the applesauce. Pour batter into a greased and floured loaf or tube pan and bake until firm to the touch, about 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in the pan, then turn it out.

To serve dust with powdered sugar or frost with Gingered Vanilla Buttercream Icing.

Gingered Vanilla Buttercream Icing

3 c. confectioner’s sugar
1 c. butter, softened to room temperature
1 t. vanilla extract
1-2 T. whipping cream
¼ candied ginger, chopped up fine

In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.

Add vanilla, 1 T. cream and the ginger and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed to reach spreadable consistency.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

OH.
MY.
YORD.

That looks like a big cake pan of yum.

Many thanks,
Brooke

October 16, 2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

MMM. Ick to raisins. I approve of the ommission. Love nuts, though. I like the mention of using a whisk attachment for the mixer. Ha ha ha. Oh my. I am sadly deficient in this area.

October 16, 2006 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

*Crackle*...*buzz*...What?...your recipe is garbled!..*Hiss*...*crackle*...Just send more Applesauce cake!..

October 16, 2006 9:01 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

B-Yup, and easy, too.

BA-You make me laugh.

S-It's in the mail (you lazy SOB).

October 16, 2006 10:30 PM  
Blogger jLow opined...

Good morning!!

You'll be happy to know that I have expeditously printed of said recipe for the making this weekend to the enjoyment of mine family.

My turn to be exhausted comes tomorrow when we have our Annual Methodist Spaghetti Luncheon. I crazily signed myself up to make not one, but TWO, Apple Crumb Pies and volunteered to help with the take out orders. I am taking extra vitamins today in preparation.

October 17, 2006 8:46 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hey, Jlow. Hope you enjoy the cake. And I'd worry about your sanity but after looking at my calendar I decided that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Have fun with your pies!

October 17, 2006 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I like to think of myself as an "energy efficient" SOB..:)

October 17, 2006 6:05 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Duly noted, Sling.

October 17, 2006 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home