Thursday, October 12, 2006

End of an Era

We've all had this happen. We go along with our lives and try to "enjoy every sandwich" but you know how it goes. We become complacent. Sure, we appreciate the presence of the other in our lives but assume, callously, that they'll always be there.

Then something happens. Maybe it's the cumulative effect of a thousand little inattentions. Maybe it's just age, familiarity and weariness. But suddenly, when we least expect it and likely when things actually seem to be going pretty well, there is a break. It is so small we don't even notice it at first and then, without warning, the dam bursts and we're left with, well, nothing. Nothing but a memory.

And 15 years is a long time. Especially by today's standards. Ours is a planned-obsolescence-love-'em-and-leave-'em society. It happens. And yet...

So it is with a heavy but resigned heart that I tell you, today, October 12, 2006, my crockpot died. The crockpot that has served us well since the day we were married. The crockpot relied upon for Thursday night suppers and chili feasts. Oh, the chili feast! We're having one this weekend and here I sit with nothing but the ruins of a lost love.

My heart is breaking but I must high-tail it to Costco to buy a new one. Ooh, maybe even one in stainless steel.

Oh, how quickly we move on.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

sniff...I'll miss it.

October 12, 2006 1:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I know, honey. I know.

October 12, 2006 1:41 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I love crock pots. One could plunk a stiletto in there and it would taste good.

I'll look forward to a post-n-pic when the new one arrives.

October 12, 2006 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm still voting for this one:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=173044&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

~BALT

October 12, 2006 2:26 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Except you, Charlie. I can always count on you.

October 12, 2006 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home