Thursday, October 12, 2006

Life is Fast. Cook Slow.

Meet my new love.

Isn't it pretty? The earthenware insert is a very nice oval shape with an embossed design around the rim. It will look very nice on the table, when I'm inclined to use it in that way.









And Bride, I know you fancied this one but they are clearly cousins. Plus, did yours come with this?


Meet the "Little Dipper", which is supposedly ideal for sauces and dips. You know, like that Velveeta and salsa thing we always make for football games. (As if).

And all for the fabulous Costco price of $39.99. I also picked up a copy of "Reds", one of my top favorite movies of all time.






So let's celebrate. Here's what's cooking away in the new crockpot even as we speak; a recipe developed, btw, by The Bride and presented in her own words:


Fajita Stew

Serves 4

2 pounds lean top round, cubed into 1” bits and seared on high heat
1 small onion, chopped
1 14-oz can crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp red chile powder
salt, garlic powder, pepper, cumin, oregano to taste
½ bag frozen bell pepper trio from Trader Joe’s (or you can use fresh, but they’re so darned expensive that I refuse to use $2 peppers in a darned crock pot, but if you buy fresh, chop up one red one)
½ cup water
½ cup flour

Caramelize the onions with some olive oil. Then dry the meat cubelets off and sear them nicely on all sides in your cast iron pan. Dump everything into your crockpot. And the rest is history.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Wow, that was quick! You don't fool around when it comes to crock pots!

I'm gonna have to drag mine out now. It snowed today. Good crock pot weather.

October 12, 2006 3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I have Little Crock Potlet Envy. Seriously.

I am going to go home and eat a block of Velveeta while simultaneously snarfing down a can of Rotel because I'm so envious that you can make diplet things in your cute little potlet.

That recipe is so fab, thanks for posting. I seriously need to write that one in permanent marker in my pantry or something...because it's GOOOOD.

And the first time I ever served it was to The Child. So that makes it extra super special.

~The Bride

October 12, 2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Geez, dude, are you just sitting there waiting to see what I post next? Talk about not fooling around.

Glad your Internet is back up.

And snow in October? Really. Sheesh.

October 12, 2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Bride, You should seriously register at Costco the next time you get married. (HA!)

Don't envy the little potlet...you'll have plenty of chances to dip out of it, I'm sure. Ooh....chocolate for Carnevale?

October 12, 2006 4:01 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Hey that sounds yummy. Although at my house if I fixed anything for my family of four that is only meant to serve four, they'd chase me out of the house. Oh and BTW I kinda like the Velveeta and Salsa thing. :P

October 12, 2006 5:59 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish, Just double or triple or quadruple the recipe. You're a clever guy.

And who doesn't love the Velveeta/salsa thing? I don't actually make it myself but we have friends who do and I always eat my share. It's yummy and besides, a little transfat never hurt anyone. Oh. Wait a minute...

October 12, 2006 7:18 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Oh my God! It's time we reached across the ocean and bridged the cultural divide which has now opened up between us as a result of your latest post.

Please, please enlighten me as to the answers to these questions:

What's a crock pot?
What's Velveeta?
What's Rotel?

The recipe sounds great, by the way.

October 13, 2006 2:09 AM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

I am going to have a go at this recipe- sounds tasty and easy to cook- and like Grish will have to double the ingredients :)
Nice new Crock-Pot!
Bests

October 13, 2006 4:19 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

D: Your explanatory post will appear shortly.

Horizon: Thanks. It is always fun to get a spanking new appliance. It's very shiny and nice.

October 13, 2006 6:27 AM  
Blogger jLow opined...

I'm so glad to find out that I'm not the only one who delights in new cooking appliances, whether large or small!!

And since we had a dip in our temps (down to 70 today), I'm going to drag out my crock to try the recipe. You know anything with the word "fajita" will be popular down here!

October 13, 2006 6:34 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Jlow, I pretty much feel about new appliances the way I feel about new shoes.

October 13, 2006 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home