Thursday, October 26, 2006

I'm So Lucky

I'm not the world's biggest fan of meetings. There are huge chunks of my life, spent in boring, badly run sessions, that I will never get back. I consequently look to spend my volunteer efforts in ways that minimize the need for these soul-draining exercises.

However.

I've been on the Executive Board of the school's Parent Association Committe for almost 2 years now. I expect to serve until The Child graduates. Because I love it. It's not an elected position, all the members were recruited by the administration. I first said 'yes' for the simple reason that meetings were held on Thursday mornings. And you know how I feel about evening meetings. I figured it would be a fairly easy way to rack up my service hours. What I didn't expect was to have quite so much fun.

By an act of pure grace, I happen to serve with a collection of very creative, funny, committed individuals. We are charged with raising $12,000 of the school's annual budget and with building community. We kill two birds with one stone by planning fundraisers that people want to attend. Today was our last meeting before tomorrow's Halloween Carnival. It. Will. Rock.

When we took over, the PAB had been losing steam and was nearly non-existent. It was like pulling teeth, so I hear, to get volunteers. Some classes stepped up, others not so much. We're changing all that. We have great room parents who act as our little field marshalls. An event is coming, we tell them what we need, they get it done. We also started this year having already planned our calendar of events (which was unheard of). This means we spend all our time focusing on how to make each event as terrific as possible, rather than constantly trying to get ahead of the curve. We have our curve. We own our curve. It's almost too easy.

And we have fun. Each member has his or her own particular strengths and we give those gifts free rein. We like each other. We laugh. We get more done in one hour than some executives do all day. I'm sure of that.

Tomorrow we'll be busy turning the cafeteria into a carnival and transforming the upper floor into the dreaded "Hallway of Horrors", which we will all be manning because, hey, that's the most fun bit of the night. And we're selfish that way. (I'm still debating, btw. I'm either going to be a Catholic school girl with a really bad attitude or a banshee. Thoughts?)

I don't know why I'm necessarily posting about this except that sometimes I just can't believe how fortunate I am: all I did was say "yes" to a morning meeting and I fell in with a terrific group of people. It's kinda like how I feel about y'all. Lucky, lucky me.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I am not surprised at all to learn how naturally this comes for you, the event planning that is. I get flustered when I try to coordinate more than 3 people to go to the bar.

I'm voting for the banshee. The world has enough schoolgirls with attitude problems.

October 26, 2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I'm with JP I can't do any planning on a grand scale. If I try and something goes the wrong way I don't like it...

October 26, 2006 11:41 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Catholic School Girl all the way!

October 26, 2006 12:25 PM  
Blogger jLow opined...

L - isn't funny how the Lord puts us where He wants us and it ends up being better than where we wanted to end up in the first place??! Who knew?

And JP hit it on thehead: we DO have enough school girls with attitude problems.

Go with the screeching banshee. It'll be cathartic.

October 26, 2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger Allan opined...

What a great example of the good things 'regl'r folk' can do when they care enough to work together.
Bravo!

Banshee with an attitude!

October 26, 2006 1:40 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP, It's a little flustery for me, too. Dinner parties are one thing...having to make money kind of ups the ante. But I'm not managing this one...which makes it way more fun for me.

Grish, It's important not to sweat the small stuff. I figure it's only not a success if hardly anyone comes and the ones who do have a bad time.

Jlow, It is indeed.

Thanks, Alan.

And so far that makes the vote 1-school girl, 3-banshee

October 26, 2006 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh sure,..If I say Catholic schoolgirl then I'm a big ol' perv with latent..oh yeah..Definitely Catholic schoolgirl.

October 26, 2006 7:19 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

I vote School Girl and uh...Keep the costume..for..uh...later.
Like Banshees check out Chaionte a film we made last year.
You can see it here.
Chaionte

Yes I'm Blog whoring

October 26, 2006 7:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Eric & Sling, You two are so never getting together.

October 26, 2006 7:40 PM  
Blogger jLow opined...

What IS it with guys and costumes for us to wear? I could put so much more into this post but Hubby is an elected official and all that.

Let's just say: geez louise!!

October 27, 2006 6:35 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

it is nice to know there are other crazy people in the world! keep up the great work!

October 27, 2006 7:45 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Jlow, No kidding. Perves.

Citymouse, Hey, we crazy folk have to stick together.

October 27, 2006 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home