Saturday, October 21, 2006

I Just Love it When

....The Child gets out her homework and does it without a word from moi.

...the morning of the Autumnal Feast starts out foggy and chill. I got up early this a.m. (for a Saturday, I mean) and the house was shrouded with mistiness. It's clearing off now, which is fine as well because I would rather harvest apples in the crisp than the wet.

...the whole day is stretching out in front of me and all I have to do is soak dried mushrooms, chop aromatics, caramelize apples, clarify butter, grind spices, trim baby peppers, slice pears, toast crostini (and walnuts and hazelnuts), seal wontons, make sauce (3 - one for the amuse bouche, one for the entree and one for dessert) and set the table.

...I set the Autumnal Feast table with leaves The Child has collected, strewing them over the burgandy and cream table cloth (red wine stains don't show as much). I love arranging the candles and plates and calligraphing the guests names onto cards for the jewel colored place holders.

...the first cup of coffee tastes this good.

....the morning sun peeps over the top of The Neighbor's house and into my writing window.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger TWISI opined...

What time should I arrive? BTW, it is K-E-N-D-A-L-L for the place card!

Have a great night!

October 21, 2006 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

And remember, I'm a lefty so don't seat me to the right of a righty or we'll bump elbows.

Hope it goes well, hope you take some pictures, can't wait to see the menu!

October 21, 2006 9:14 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Right, thanks for the reminder. I remember last time I spelled it d-E-l-l and felt so ridiculous. Although you were really gracious about it.

JP, I've got you on my left this year. We do NOT want a repeat of the Sauce Boat Debacle of '05.

October 21, 2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

That sounds like a slice of heaven. I wish I could be there -- we could giggle while clarifying butter.

October 21, 2006 9:21 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And burn our fingers on the caramel sauce.

October 21, 2006 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

If I'm not there in time for dinner,don't worry.
I'll be there in plenty of time for the poker game after.

October 21, 2006 1:33 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'll set a place just in case, Sling. You need your nourishment. Don't forget the cigars!

October 21, 2006 1:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Sounds like a wonderful day. Especially when the first cup of coffee tastes that good. :)

Btw, I made my travel arrangements for Seattle for t-day. We'll have to start emailing this week to see if we can meet up again.

October 22, 2006 6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I keep a few Cubans stashed in my giant stainless steel humidor in the basement for just such an occasion!...I'll send one of them to go pick us up some White Owls..:)

October 22, 2006 8:31 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

S&C, My coffee brother. Crossing my fingers that there's time for a meet-up!

Sling, LOL!!!

October 22, 2006 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home