Sunday, October 22, 2006

Hostess Gifts

I've said it before but it bears repeating: I would still invite the usual suspects to the Autumnal Feast even if they didn't bring such superfantastic hostess gifts. A small token for the hostess is always a lovely gesture but it's not expected. However, the two couples in question have a tendancy to outdo themselves and it always makes the Autumnal Feast feel a smidge like Christmas.

(Btw, the guests brought tokens for the rest of the family, too. The Child got a wild orange feather boa with little lights in it and a pair of earrings. The Spouse got a CD, plus, of course, he gets to enjoy the gifts I received.)

So first off, The Boys gave us this superfantastic microplane box grater. If you have never used a microplane grater you are missing out on some culinary ecstacy. Seriously. It is a joy to cook with well-made tools that are perfectly designed for their function. I heart this.



















ChouChou had called earlier in the week to ask for gift ideas. (I don't know why because she has been giving me lovely things for 15 years without any help). I sent her in the direction of a beautiful bowl I'd seen at Williams Sonoma. Actually, we had given the same bowl as a wedding present to the Bride & Groom last month and I'd been thinking of snagging one for myself ever since. So I wasn't surprised when I opened this up:



















What I didn't expect was to receive these as well:



















Aren't they just the coolest thing ever? I heart them, too. Even though it's not about the stuff.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Renee opined...

Very cool plates. We bought my mother-in-law the WS rooster tablecloth and napkins for her bday which must be in the same line.

Also, I heart your stove. Poor me, I think I have about 20 more years in the kitchen before I get one of those.

October 22, 2006 3:35 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm going to have to start looking for the tablecloth now! I heart my stove, too. And yeah, I was 45 when we got ours but maybe the stove fairy will come your way sooner. Talk about using good tools.

October 22, 2006 5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm giving you the "2 great words that go great together" award for "culinary ecstasy." Pretty sure I just spelled a word wrong, but I'm okay with that.

October 22, 2006 11:54 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Man, I can't wait until you're on the Nobel Committee.

October 23, 2006 6:28 AM  
Blogger jLow opined...

L - your graciousness never stops amazing me.

Methinks your dinner parties are nothing short of award-winning.

And I'm a little green over the stoneware.

October 23, 2006 11:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I WANT that cheese grater! And those plates would go perfectly with one I have.... love, love, love them!

October 23, 2006 5:43 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I love them, too, Gina. And the grate rocks.

October 23, 2006 5:57 PM  
Blogger jLow opined...

L - here's my hostess gift for you (even though I wasn't invited) only you'll have to go get it and pay for it.

But the lovely THOUGHT is from me!

http://www.christianbook.com/Christ
ian/Books/product?item_no=19708&
netp_id=447904&event=EBRN&item_
code=WW#CURR

October 24, 2006 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home