Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I've Got this Bridge in Brooklyn...

It is inevitable that one dreams big for one's child. You imagine her becoming a doctor or President (yes, please) or being the first human to walk on Mars. Maybe she'll write the Great American Novel or become a renowned actress, like her grandmother, Dame Judi. But just like people who say they were Queen Elizabeth in a past life, but not a peasant who died of plague, you never imagine your child doing anything mundane. She might grow up to be a fine teacher or a chef in her own restaurant (with 2 different programs - at least - on the Food Network), but she won't be managing a Burger King or handing out parking tickets from a little cart.

The Child has her own life plan. She wants to be a veterinarian, an astronaut, a teacher and mother of five. And I, as her mother, like to think that if anyone could manage all those things, it would be her. When I look at her gifts and talents I suspect she will grow up to do something in the arts. Or, because of her profound gift for debate, she could become (gasp) a lawyer. But sometimes I lie in bed at night and think that what she'll end up in is sales.

She did not get this from me. I think I told you the story about being threatened with an F by the yearbook teacher unless I sold 3 ads. I was the only one on the staff who hadn't yet done so and it killed me to do it. (I somehow talked her into just selling 2 and those were to my church and the bank that gave me a student loan for college. And it still took all I had to do that).

When The Child started school we entered the world of fundraising. Every school in the US has to do this, public and private. (The obvious issues this raises may be addressed in another post. Or not). In the parochial system (ours anyway), parents sign a contract and are on the hook for a set amount of fundraising every year. If they don't raise x amount of dollars through various sales and auctions and such, they have to pay the difference at the end of the year. It's how the schools keep tuition manageable. It's part of the deal and I'm fine with it.

But I hate stuff like gift wrap sales, magazine subscription drives and the like. You can only go to the well so many times and I have a strict rule that The Child can't solicit donations from anyone who has a kid of their own in school (which also frees me from having to buy the crap their school is selling). So when we make our fundraising elections every year, I go for the big money makers that aren't morally objectionable to me, specifically the jog-a-thon and the auction. Between her jog pledges and my auction procurements, we can hit our nut.

But as I mentioned, The Child loves to sell stuff. She was very happy when, in 2nd or 3rd grade, I gave in to her pleading and let her sell gift wrap. I held the line for the next several years but she begged to do the candy sale this year. I ordered the minimum amount of candy and let her at it.

The sale started on Friday and she's almost out of goods. She's moving chocolate like a tsunami. She's selling chocolate to kids who are selling chocolate. And between this and the jog-a-thon, we've hit our nut, with nary a lick of trouble on my part. Gotta love that. So mommy learns yet another lesson: I might hate sales and therefore hate the notion of anyone having to sell something. But when your child has a gift, you have to encourage them. Caramel Whirls, anyone?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

Very nice post honey. I detet a career at the Gap.
"Try this belt with that bra."

October 25, 2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thank you, dear. And I had the last of the Caramel Whirls for breakfast so if you want some to snack on tonight you'll need $2.

October 25, 2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

The Child will do very well in life.

October 25, 2006 5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

With her talent,and the guiding hands of two wonderful parents,the sky's the limit!..How about President and attorney general of the Martian veterinarian's association?..Could happen..

October 25, 2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger Renee opined...

I'm married to an excellent sales person who also happened to graduate with a bachelors degree in studio art.
The possibilities are endless.

October 25, 2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Glad to hear she's doing so well with it, if I lived in Seattle and wasn't current;y trying to lose some weight I'd be all over the sweets...:)

October 25, 2006 10:42 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Selling yourself and having a goal!!! I dont see sales -- I see politician-- this coming from a real estate broker :)

October 26, 2006 6:49 AM  
Blogger jLow opined...

hmmmm . . . given my 2.5 year old's current interest, I wonder how well being Superman pays??

October 26, 2006 8:27 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Iwanski, I certainly hope so. Perhaps she needs a mentorship in Chicago.

Sling, I like the way you think. Which is scary.

Renee, You give me hope.

Grish, They're only a few calories per nugget of goodness. How many can she put you down for?

I agree, Charlie, I agree.

Citymouse, A) Thanks for stopping by and 2) I could certainly see it going that direction. Must make sure she doesn't inhale.

Jlow, Are you kidding? Appearances on the "graphic novel" circuit...that's some big chunks of change!

October 26, 2006 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home