Monday, October 23, 2006

Snack Mom

There are 2 kinds of mothers. At least. One kind never leaves the house without a supply of Goldfish® crackers, juice boxes, carrots sticks and raisins. The other kind is like me.

My lack of snackage is less of an issue now that The Child is a tweener. But when they are little and you go on a playdate, it's always good to have something for them to munch. I just hardly ever remembered. I always had a little container of Cheerios® in the church diaper bag but it never occured to me to plan ahead like that for day-to-day stuff. Sometimes I think it is because we lived downtown and any outing could always end up at a coffee shop somewhere, with a steamed milk, not too hot, and a butterhorn if anyone was feeling peckish.

But sometimes we'd have playdates with other moms and kids and these women would always have snacks. Not a mere baggie of pretzels but an entire smörgåsbord of crispy, healthy treats. Some of them had soft-sided, thermally controlled bags dedicated to the purpose, plus a case of juice boxes in the car trunk. Just in case. I wanted to be with these women when The Big One hit, knowing we'd be able to survive for days. I just never figured out how to be one of them.

A true Snack Mom isn't just prepared for outings. Her home is also equipped with a variety of crackers, cookies, cheeses and 6 kinds of beverages available at all times. I have juice and milk. Sometimes there are tablewater crackers. Sometimes there are cookies, but they never last longer than a day. Kids come here to play and ask for a snack and my response is, "Well, there's apples". They look at me with baleful eyes and then usually say something like, "Come on, my mom has snacks. We can go to my house".

Poor snack-less Child.

I thought of this today because my friend J is the ultimate Snack Mom and we are meeting up at the dog park this morning. She's such a good Snack Mom that she even remembers snacks for the pups. It's humiliating.

So I just put chicken sticks in my coat pocket. I never have snacks for my child but maybe it's not too late to redeem myself with The Dog.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown opined...

My daughter is the ultimate Snack Mom. She didn't learn it from me. She laments the fact that I don't have a cupboard full of snacks for the grandkids. She obviously forgot whose house she grew up in! She has learned to come equipped with snacks to my house too. Otherwise, the grandkids get water, maybe a cheese stick, more than likely a banana or apple. I'm pathetic.

October 23, 2006 11:24 AM  
Blogger jLow opined...

The real to trick to being a good Snack Mom is having been a Snack Kid. My mom wasn't so much prepared with the snacks but I distinctly remember making the demands, unfulfilled though they were. Ergo, I'm packin' snacks every time I walk out the door with the Bear not so much for him as for ME!

October 23, 2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Gina, At least I'm in good company. And clearly, we can hang out with Jlow because she'll have plenty for us to eat!

October 23, 2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 23, 2006 12:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Okay. So, that was really me (the Rosemary comment). I was helping a friend with her commenting and forgot I was logged in as her. Doh!

Yes, you, JLow, and I could definitely hang out. Add my daughter to the mix, and we'd never have to worry about something to eat, ever.

October 23, 2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

What on earth is wrong with an apple? arghh
Why all this worry- let the kids go hungry- life is hard! lol
l never buy fizzy juice- Sam enjoyes going to his Nan's because he can get it there- poor Mum is happy he enjoys his visit-lol.
Bests for now

October 23, 2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Horizon, I know, right? Apples are yummy. Kids. Pft.

October 23, 2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I would like you if you gave me chicken sticks.

October 23, 2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, Iwanski, you probably would. But it would be weird if you jumped up and licked my face every time I came in the door. Plus, I'm so not cleaning up after you however much you like me.

October 23, 2006 5:56 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I never was much of a snack 'Dad' either. My parents and my grandparents though kept a tin of snack food around for us. I do store apples and bananas away though, for what good it does me...

October 23, 2006 6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm with horizon on this.Nothing wrong with fruit for a snack.But I know of some kids that aren't hungry at dinner time,yet are asking for snacks 10 minutes after the dishes are cleared.

October 23, 2006 8:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

That's it. Grish & Sling, you have emboldened me. I will serve those little frakkers fruit salad and do so proudly. Some day, they'll thank me.

October 23, 2006 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home