Friday, September 22, 2006

Lo and Behold

Will you look at this handsome fellow?




















Yesterday I was minding my own business, working on an apple pie for The Spouse, when I looked up and noticed this gentleman, calmly perched on the fence between our house and The Neighbor's.




















He sat there for quite a while in bird terms, long enough for me to snap these piccies of him through the window. (I didn't dare go outside lest he fly away).

The Dog seemed to be equally intrigued because he just hovered by the sliding door in the dining room, emitting a low little rumbling growl as opposed to the full-scale bark-o-rama that he would normally unleash on a bird in his yard. Perhaps he had the sense to see that lurking beneath the placid, unruffled exterior of the bird lurked the heart of a predator with a fondness for puppy meat.




















Actually, I don't know that this bird eats puppies. I do know that he is a Cooper's hawk. We have neighbors who are avid birders and I showed them the pictures. They were very excited that he'd come to call.




















He looks so dapper with those tweedy looking chest feathers. I have decided to call him Reginald. I hope he comes by again.

And that's what I saw out my kitchen window yesterday while I was making apple pie for The Spouse.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Ooohs and aaahs from me and the three-year-old.

September 22, 2006 9:05 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Thanks for the post! Give my fond regards to Reginald should he return. Perhaps a dead mouse might entice him back?

September 22, 2006 10:24 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

LA, I'm so happy to have provided today's entertainment.

Charlie, I thought you'd like him. He speaks highly of the Highlands.

Jon, I suspect he's more interested in the pooch but we could try. I hope he comes again.

September 22, 2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

You get a hawk and I get a family of racoons....how is that fair?

September 22, 2006 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

RAPTORS!!..Still,a handsome winged fellow.

September 22, 2006 6:28 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, Kendall, think of it this way, racoons are...um...well, they have those nice...er...tail thingys...and they...yeah, not fair. I win.

Sling: Bet the puppies from hell could take him. Although it would make me sad if they tried.

September 22, 2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger Knitty Yas opined...

damn thats a good sized birdie. strange that he decided to stop in such a populated area. i mean a fence between houses of all places..

where the hell do you people live? i dont get that. i get angry feral cats attacking my windows trying to reach my wussy cats.

September 22, 2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yasmin, That's it exactly. Here we are, in a densely populated part of Seattle and a fracking hawk sits on my fence. NOT something one sees every day. I'm just lucky my cat didn't see it. She would have so tried to take him down. It would not have been pretty.

September 22, 2006 10:32 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

That is awesome. So long as it doesn't carry you off.

I like reading your blog.

How would you blog if the hawk takes you back to his comically-oversized nest and tries to feed you worms?

September 23, 2006 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Great photos!

September 23, 2006 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home