Sunday, August 20, 2006

Why I'll Need a New Hobby


In 2001 the Seattle Mariners were the American League champions, having won 116 games in the regular season. The only other team to have won that many games was Chicago, in 1906. (And technically, one of those games was a forfeit so the Ms actually have a better record, in my estimation). Right. It is my firmly held conviction that, had 9/11 not happened, the Ms would have gone to and won the World Series. Unfortunately, the first team they faced in the playoffs was the New York Yankees and I don't care what anyone said at the time, it was a series of pity losses.

In 2002 and 2003 they finished the season with 93 wins. They haven't managed to do anything comparable since. The team has changed substantially since 2001 (way too many chaps from the 2001 team are in Yankee pinstripes) and up until yesterday, there were only 2 guys still on the team for whom I had any particular affection.

And now the Ms have traded Jamie Moyer to the Phillies. Jamie is in his early 40s, rather "old" to still be in the game, especially as a pitcher. He hasn't had a great season, 6-12. But in the 11 years since he's been with the team he has a record of 145-87. And he's a great guy. A stand up guy. A guy who is very involved in the community. He's got a slow, soft pitch but when he's on his game the best hitters in the game can't figure out what do with it. But he's old, the Ms stink and apparently 2 right-handed minor leaguers offer more hope for turning the team around than he does.

So it goes.

But this means that the only guy left on the team who I even care about is Ichiro. And he's young, he hates to lose and my guess is that as soon as his contract is up he's going to want to go somewhere else. Probably to the fracking Yankees. Which would really hurt.

Pft.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sling opined...

Sounds like you really know your baseball.Hey!..You could become a Bookie!..that would be a fine new hobby.

August 20, 2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I don't really know that much about baseball, Sling. I just know my Ms. Or rather, I knew my Ms. My Ms are virtually nonexistent now. Maybe I should look into that bookie thing. Do they have a school for that?

August 20, 2006 1:44 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Sounds like you know your team rather well. The bookie thing sounds like a good idea but I'm having a hard time seeing you beating people up when they don't pay...:P

August 20, 2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Lorraine, it is time for you to start thinking about the Seahawks.

August 21, 2006 3:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish, You've never seen me pissed off.

Iwanski, Ya think?

August 21, 2006 3:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I feel ya, lorraine... sad, isn't it?

August 23, 2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It's so sad that yesterday I put The Child's Ms shirt in the donation bag.

August 23, 2006 8:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

You didn't! Wow, that IS sad.

August 25, 2006 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home