Thursday, August 17, 2006

June & Edy

I had lunch yesterday with June. I worked for her, way back in the mists of time, when she ran the Continuing Education program at my alma mater. It was my first gig out of college (after a horrible summer of unemployement, frustration and pain, mitigated only by the Sonics winning NBA championship. Unfortunately, that was in June and it was the high point).

When I first took the job, June scared the crap out of me. She struck me as very humorless and strict. Kinda like a school marm. There was another young woman in the front office with me, also a recent hire, and we bonded. One day we took it in our heads to start updating systems and organize things more efficiently. June came in on us blithly tossing out files. She just about died and I thought for sure that she was going to fire me on the spot. But she didn't. She started to figure out how smart (1) I was and pretty much gave me free rein. If I had a new idea about how to manage a system she'd say, "Go to it, Quiche". Yes. My college nickname was "Quiche". You had to have figured that out by now. June is the only person on the planet who still calls me that. It's adorable, coming from her.

June got married for the first time at the age of 60. The "girls from the office", who had all mostly left by then, gave her a shower. I asked her what made her want to get married now, at 60, after a very full, rich life as a confident, accomplished single woman. "It's an adventure I haven't had yet", came the reply. And that pretty much sums her up. We still get together for lunch once or twice a year. She always pays and she always shoots me the withering look that used to scare me so when I suggest that it's my turn. After lunch yesterday she wanted to do a little shopping so I walked with her to Crate and Barrell. At the table she had seemed just as vigorous as ever. When we started walking I realized she is slowing down. She took my arm as we walked in very slow, careful steps. And you'd think I would have been feeling all melancholy about her advancing years and feeling sorry for her but I wasn't. For over 20 years I have had the priviledge of being challenged and encouraged by her. That hasn't changed. I'm just thankful to have her.

She just recently disconnected her Internet so asked me to copy out some of my blog posts for her. I told her about the projects I had been working on and she took my hand and said, "I am so proud of you, Quiche. I love you so much for doing what you always said you wanted to do". Almost made me cry, y'all.

After lunch (and buying a new pepper mill) I took The Child to a friend's for a sleepover. When I got home there was a message on my machine from Edy at Hodgepodge. Edy and I have been emailing each other for several months but we've never spoken. She had a story to tell, something that really needed to be shared but that she couldn't blog about. (Oh, wouldn't you like to know...) I rang her up and she immediately starts in with this very hysterical tale and we laughed like a couple of drunk hyenas and then we started talking. And it was the coolest conversation because it wasn't one of those, "now that I have you, let's get to know each other" talks. We've done all that in email, anyway. No, we talked the way I would talk with ChouChou or The Neighbor, with all the ease and joy of two friends who have known each other forever. Which we haven't and yet, because we are kindred spirits (or separated at birth...I still have to check that possibility with Dame Judy) it was a delightful, familiar time.

I adore Edy. If you don't read her blog you really should. She blogs mostly about her cancer treatment, which is coming to an end. I know what you are thinking: "Eeww, that's a downer". In lesser hands it would be. But Edy writes about this phase of her journey with honesty, warmth and no small amount of humor. It tells you a lot about the spirit of a woman who was a survivor long before she beat cancer. (Which she is doing, thank you very much). She's an awesome person and you should make her acquaintance. I promised her that when she got the "all clear" I would come make a celebratory dinner for her. She'll probably get that news as the snows start to fly in Minnesota so, given my flying issues, the party will probably have to be next year but I can't think of many things I'd rather do than feed this remarkable person and celebrate life.


1 (June's words, not mine. In fact, she especially asked that I please tell you that she never meant to scare me and thought I was a "very smart cookie". Also, she wants you to know that she loves me a lot).

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown opined...

I'm jealous! A phone call from Edy! How great that must have been. I think you BOTH are remarkable women.

August 17, 2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

The remark on June were both touching and heartfelt. She sounds like a remarkable woman...

August 17, 2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Dang blogger, anyways both June and Edy sound like fabulous women. I have been over and read a few of Edy's post before and agree on your description of her writing...

August 17, 2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger Molly opined...

I just turned in my resume for my first job (if I get it) and I was terrified. The woman, Tracy, who does the hiring seems perfectly fabulous but still... I'm a sissy!
How much was your pepper grinder? :)

August 17, 2006 4:40 PM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

Michael.

August 17, 2006 5:32 PM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

And,yes, do check with Dame Judy. I bear a remarkable resemblance to Audrey Hepburn. I suppose this means I can't sleep with George Clooney?

August 17, 2006 5:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I remember when the Sonics won the championship. That was pretty much a high point of the year, huh?

Your blog buddy list is just exploding, girl! Pretty cool...

August 17, 2006 8:30 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Blogger is being a BUTT!..
Thanx for the link to Edy.

August 17, 2006 10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

ahhh yes the dreaded summer-after-college experience. you feel ready to conquer the world, and you get a summer of unemployment and strife.
i enjoy your blog - glad you somehow stumbled into our world (through iwanski)

August 18, 2006 5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home