Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Uh Oh


I'm in one of those moods. Who knows what exactly brings it on?

The Spouse will say that "the gland is secreting" but that really only applies to those times when I suddenly rearrange all the furniture in a room.

Today's mood is different. This is the mood that sends me into cupboards and drawers, tossing and organizing. It's the mood that results in 412 pounds of recycling and a pile of stuff on the parking strip with a sign that reads "Free", because I'm in such a mood that I don't even want to keep the culled stuff in a box in the garage for the next time that Community Services has a truck in my neighborhood.

I am in a mood to divest myself of stuff.

I'm not a clutter kind of girl. Never really have been. If I replace a pillow or can opener I toss the old one. I don't have shelves full of Hummels. My wardrobe is pared to basics that all go with each other. I don't have "fat clothes" or "5 more pounds off and I'll fit into these again" clothes. But even so, stuff accumulates. And when it gets to a certain point I have to deal with it. I like knowing that there isn't anything in the house that isn't useful or beautiful. Beautiful to me, anyway.

I have already cleaned out my Big Notebook of Organization, the one in which I keep things like volleyball schedules and grocery lists. I have tidied out the drawer where all the plastic storage containers live. Next stop is the coat closet and then I'm taking on the linen closet. After that will probably be the Detritus Drawer, the one in the kitchen where we keep hammers and rubber bands and half-used tubes of SuperGlue. That'll be reduced to essentials by noon. There may even be a session with The Child, wherein we try to reduce by half her 2 baskets of toys and general kid crap.

Sometimes I think my organizational fits are a response to world events...trying to make order when chaos swirls all around. Maybe it's just the 10 degree shift in the weather that has brought a cool, cloudy morning. Or maybe it's the passage I read this morning in a book called A Well-Kept Home:Household Traditions and Simple Secrets from a French Grandmother by Laura Fronty and Yves Duronsoy. (Edy and Renee, I think you would both love this book. You would, too, Jonathan). Anyhoo, here's the quote:

"I will describe her life and her home to you as I remember it: the rooms where life was lived; the bedrooms drenched with sunlight in the morning; the floors festooned with apricot, red and ochre Oriental rugs inherited from her mother-in-law, which seemed to absorb the light and retain the heat despite their age. There were books, dried flowers and cushions inspired by the colors of Matisse; and objects sparkling with an authenticity that, had they been owned by an ancient community, would have been placed in graves for the next life: crystal dice, bits of stag antlers, amber pearls, boxes, sculptures, wooden balls..."

James Salter, Un Bonheur Parfait (Perfect Happiness)

Of course, I think bits of stag antler would be nasty and I would never have dried flowers because they are dust-catching, moldering things. I prefer my flowers fresh. But you get the idea.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

Just dont touch my stuff

August 15, 2006 9:57 AM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Be careful. I just read that FDR was an incorrigible clutter-bum, and look how far it got him.

August 15, 2006 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I've had those moods. I'll be frantically detail oriented for a minute, until I realize how much work I've created for myself, and then I usually end up throwing everything in the closet. But sometimes I can really get a lot accomplished during the timeframe between inspiration and overwhelmed.

August 15, 2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger Renee opined...

Thanks for the book tip.
I looove your buffet table.
And I see you are not afraid of color at all. Wanna come paint my house?
I know I would like it once it's done, I just am always a chicken when it comes time to have them mix it up.

August 15, 2006 12:07 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Leave Eric's stuff alone.

August 15, 2006 3:12 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Eric, Eeww. Boy stuff. No worries.

Pat, It's ok. I don't really want to go to Yalta.

JP, Word. (I'm quoting Katie Couric). That's why I have to do one closet or drawer at a time. And I set a timer. Otherwise it would look like my house threw up.

Renee, It's the coolest buffet ever. We inherited it from friends who didn't want to schlepp it when they moved. And I'll paint the house but Phil has to do the taping. I hate prep work.

Iwanski, Eeww. Boy stuff. No worries.

August 15, 2006 3:16 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Am I the only one that thinks this sounds like "nesting?".. :O

August 15, 2006 4:50 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, dude, the fertility ship is nearly out of the harbor...don't fracking jinx it.

August 15, 2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

My wife just waits till I go to work and then moves all my stuff and hides it. That way she has months of enjoyment watching me hunt for stuff as common as a screwdriver...:)

August 15, 2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I spend a lot of time thinking about de-cluttering my drawers and cupboards, but I almost never get around to it. It's so sad. I'd make a fortune at a garage sale. Unfortunately, I'm a memento nut, and keep everything that I might remotely want to look at again some day, or read, or wear, or... and my husband is even worse. When we die, our kids are going to have to just burn the house down. I do have my days... days when I start tossing things with impunity, eyes closed, black garbage bag within chucking distance. That's the only way it ever works.

I love the buffet and the colors too. I LOVE color - hate white walls.

August 15, 2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I'm in that mood, too! I can hardly wait for the weekend to do a throrough 'cleaning out' of my abode.

I think its the impending season change. Or at least that's what I'm saying...

August 16, 2006 8:12 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish, LOL! Ah, the simple pleasures of wife-dom.

Gina, Girl, get yourself over to Flylady.net. Seriously.

S&C, Yes. The change in season. Let's go with that, shall we? We KNOW you're not pregnant. (Neither am I, Sling. Word.)

August 16, 2006 8:18 AM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

I am late to the party, been out for medical crap. But, a lovely quote Lorraine. Except for the part about inherited stuff from the mother-in-law. During the divorce, the ex-mother-in-law actually stole everything she could carry, found of value, or thought I might find of value from the house.

And, except that I don't collect wooden balls. Just glass and ornate metal balls. Which doesn't matter. As long as the 15 year old has the opportunity to toss out the comment that her mother "collects balls".

Reading "Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston enables you to throw out everything but the Viking.

August 16, 2006 4:29 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Yay. I just got the book on half.com for seven bucks. Thanks for the tip! I wuv stuff like this.

August 17, 2006 1:12 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I'll let The Hag read it when I'm done. Better yet, we'll have a book discussion while Iwanski is watching the Bears.

August 17, 2006 1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home