Friday, August 18, 2006

Success

Warning: The following post will only be interesting to the girls in the audience. Thank you.




The Child and I had lunch today with another former boss of mine, Heidi. I'll have more to say about her (very good stuff) in another post. Suffice for now that after a very pleasant lunch, The Child and I returned to all the stores I'd perused the other day, looking for my Mother of the Junior Bridesmaid dress.

We went into Ann Taylor and The Child took over, informing the shopgirl that her mother was going to a wedding (that she was in, by the way) and I needed something nice to wear, maybe in brown (because the colors are apple red and chocolate brown and my dress is red, by the way). Shopgirl was very sweet and very able. She pulled a few things, mostly from the sale rack (don't you just love her already), I found a few things and off we went to the dressing room.

I tried on a nice enough dress but it was a little fancier than I wanted and I have plenty of fancy clothes. But the second try was IT. It wasn't brown, it wasn't a suit (which is what I'd been thinking of all along) but it was the most perfect "little black dress". It looked very plain on the hanger, with thin straps, a fitted bodice and a simple pleat in the front. It's a cotton/silk blend (which is going to get me in dutch with those who enjoy quoting Leviticus) and at the waist there is a grosgrain ribbon with a tiny bow in the front. It is so Audrey Hepburn (the real one, not my sister) that I can hardly stand it.


See how pretty? And not only was it the perfect dress, not only did it look super fantastic on me, not only was it a size 8 (I'm kvelling now) but it was on sale! On sale as in "I couldn't have bought it at the Gap for less" on sale.

So now I'm all set for the big day, and many subsequent big days plus cocktail parties and late lunches not to mention, since I love it so much, cleaning the house, shopping for groceries and attending parent/teacher conferences.

11 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Hey. I found this post VERY interesting. I just love it when you can find just the right item that fits perfectly, looks cute and is on sale. I spent over two hours with The Hag helping her find just the right coat last year.
Go be a knock-out, miss girl.

August 18, 2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

Yes, this is THE perfect dress. I have it in red. I have to be careful when I use it.

August 18, 2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Edy, You do NOT! Really? Geez, that and your blond do-me wig had better stay out of Home Depot.

Jon, You must be a girl.

August 18, 2006 7:05 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Do the men get a prize if they read it anyways?

August 19, 2006 12:03 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

The straight ones do. Congratulations, Grish. Now go on-line and buy this dress for your wife. Talk about prizes...

August 19, 2006 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Congrats on finding this superfantastic frock for my nuptial event.

Next question...shoes...?

August 21, 2006 3:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

BBB: I'm thinking my little black pumps are perfect...unless I stumble on something whilst purchasing The Child's bridesmaid footwear...

August 21, 2006 3:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I LOVE that dress! It is THE perfect little black dress. What a find!

August 23, 2006 8:24 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Gina, I know! I usually don't have that sort of shopping luck. When I fall into a bucket of money I'm going to see to it that every woman has one exactly like it.

August 23, 2006 8:34 AM  
Blogger Molly opined...

Well, it's beautiful and I'm sure that you're glasses-less face will compliment perfectly! That and your fantastic witty humor!

September 01, 2006 4:35 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, thanks, Mol, but I think you might be just a smidge biased...

September 01, 2006 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home