Thursday, August 03, 2006

It's That Time of Year Again

This weekend Seattle has an annual summer celebration known as Seafair. For all the years I've lived here, which is most of my life, I have never understood this fete. Hydroplane races are prominently featured, as are the beer and sausage companies that sponsor same. There is an evening parade that starts things off, called the Torchlight Parade, to which I've never gone and never intend to. There are Seafair Pirates: business men who dress up and carouse from bar to bar, harassing beautiful women. There are Seafair Clowns: business men who dress up and carouse from park to mall to street corner, harassing young children. And sometimes beautiful women. The fleet is in town. 'Nuff said.

I have to keep my opinions to myself in this house. The Spouse has dreadfully fond memories of Seafair as a kid and he loves taking The Child down to the lake to watch the hydro races. I don't grudge him any of that or his passion for this "uniquely Seattle" celebration. I just have never understood it. Especially because more than anything what we seem to be celebrating is noise.

The hydros are really loud. We can hear the races from here. And more to the point, Seafair isn't Seafair without the Blue Angels. Who are dive bombing my house as we speak and freaking out The Dog.

See?

Poor little fella. Because when I say they are divebombing our house I am not exaggerating for dramatic effect. They are practising for their weekend show, which takes place over Lake Washington. Which is right by our house.

Now the Blue Angels, as The Spouse tells me every year, are the best of the best. These guys know how to handle a jet plane. And I believe him but seriously, like right now when they are flying some formation that has 2 planes going one way and the rest the other and they happen to be on either side of my house, it scares the crap out of me. And The Dog. Poor little trembly fella.

Plus, I admire the artistry of what they do, because it is an art of some sort. They have one formation where they fly straight up in the air and then branch off from each other, leaving vapor trails that look like a fleur de lis. It is very impressive. But it is so scary loud! And even though this is an air show over a benign little city-wide fair, it also is showing off our military what-have-you which creeps me out a little (even though I'd rather an air show than a bombing raid). And you know, with everything that is going on right now I can't help but think about this noise and all the civilian populations right now stuck in the middle of misbegotten wars and how they listen to stuff like this day and night. Plus explosions. And I don't find that enjoyable.

Poor Spouse. He's going to feel like he has to defend his beloved Seafair and Blue Angels. Go ahead, honey. You know I mean well. It's just so creepy, scary loud and your puppers is very unhappy.

Every year there is a new crop of Letters to the Editor, complaining about the Blue Angels and the militarism and the noise. I'm not one of those people. I understand that all this has meaning for others, like The Spouse, and I'm not one to get all high and mighty about the superiority of my viewpoint. I don't get Seafair but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be held. It's one weekend out of the year. Coping requires that I remember the following:

1) Use an alternate route out of the 'hood because my usual street will be choked with traffic.
2) Afternoon naps are out for the next four days.
3) Someone must be present at all times to cuddle The Dog.

A very happy celebration of Very Loud Things to you all.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

The Blue Angels come to my office every year because we have a lot of retired and active Navy in our company. Pilots do a two year rotation as Blue Angels. So every year, there are different men who come. And what I've learned over the years in meeting them and cupping with them in the tasting room is that apparently a prerequisite for the program is being handsome. (Biting my hand here.) YIKES.

But what I've always wanted to ask them is how long it takes to adapt to the G-force of those jets and not toss your cookies. ICK.

Hope the puppers is doing okay. Long live Seafair!

~BBBM

August 03, 2006 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

America loves Pirates.

But messing with naptime? There oughtta be a law. And I say that as someone who believes we already have way too many laws.

August 03, 2006 12:00 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Damn Hippies

August 03, 2006 12:32 PM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

Feel for you and the fly overs.. hmm. dive bombs! Poor wee doggie- what is his name??? I remember watching the Blue Angels at Brunswick Naval Air Station, ME- wow. As for handsome, not sure, they passed too fast. :)

August 03, 2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Dick Cheney will be over tomorrow at 2 pm to squeeze and hug the witto doggie.

August 03, 2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Iwanski, For the first time ever I just don't know what the hell you mean. But you'd better not be mocking my dog...

August 03, 2006 7:35 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

Well at least you're supportive of your husbands love for Seafair. I mostly fear Seattle when anything exciting is going on. Seattle is like Washington's New York... in my opinion. Then again I am 16 and rarely have any idea what I'm talking about.

August 03, 2006 8:06 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama opined...

yeah, it freaks me out too.

xxo

August 05, 2006 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home