Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Ladies and Gentlemen, President Bill Clinton




The mood of everyone at yesterday's event with President Clinton was upbeat, to put it mildy. Other descriptions might include enthusiastic, electric and all agog.

I had the happy job of being a greeter and directing people to their table. This allowed me to hear the fabulous performance of the Sons of Thunder gospel choir from some church in Tacoma as well as see all the excited faces of arriving guests. I got to squeeze the toes of a very cute baby girl. And I was highly amused by a very sweet, earnest soccer mom type who had driven all the way from the red side of the state to volunteer at the event. She was so cute. I asked if it was hard being a Democrat on that side of the state. "Oh, goodness!" she exclaimed. "You can't imagine. But I'm getting bolder," she added, showing me a tiny peace symbol hanging around her neck. Later I saw her greeting a few gentlemen in cowboy hats and asked, "More members of the support group?" At one point she looked around the burgeoning crowd and sighed, "Are all these people liberals?"...like she'd gone to heaven or something. I laughed and said, "No. But they are all Democrats".


Just before the program started one of the staffers approached me and a couple other volunteers and asked if we wanted to sit. We were still in the back of the room but we got to nibble at the dinner some rich person paid for and that was an unexpected treat (salmon with apple chutney...yum). I was with a chappie named Ben, who I worked with at the Kerry event, and a young, earnest and adorable kid named Joe.

When the President was introduced it honestly was all I could do not to cry. Mostly because I'm a wet mess normally but I love the guy. He's not perfect, he wasn't perfect. But he was, and I know history will back me up here, one of the greatest presidents of the 20th century. And, like I commented to Charlie yesterday, say what you will about the guy, he wasn't an imperialist and I like that in a President.



Right. So he started his address by saying that he was sick and tired of hearing that Democrats don't know what they stand for and with all the spirit of a revivalist at a tent meeting proceeded to urge us to get out there and start speaking up. He talked about the difference between having a philosophy and an ideology. He suggested that with a philosophy you are willing to question and even admit when you are wrong or don't have an answer. But people who hold to an ideology already believe they are right. Their ideology will take precedence over evidence, eschews argument for attack. He celebrated the Democratic philosophy that believes everyone is equal. He said that Democrats stood for security that was predicated on working relationships, dialogue and alliances and not on "going it alone". He said that we believe in expansion of the middle class and complained bitterly and repeatedly at how this administration has given "tax cut after tax cut after tax cut to rich guys like me" at the expense of our troops, health and education programs and port security.

He also talked about how in order to grow the economy we have to come up with a new class of high wage jobs about every 5 to 8 years. And, he said, the next class is just sitting there, "like a bird nest on the ground". Renewable sources of energy is the way to go, not only because it will reduce our dependence on unstable states and start reversing green house emissions, etc. but because "we'd make a killing".

Probably his best line of the night was when he was citing The One Percent Doctrine, Ron Suskind's new book, in which the White House neo-cons deride those of us who live in a "reality-based community".

"I'm not kidding you," Bill said. "That's how they think. And folks, let me tell you, I grew up in an alcoholic home. I spent my childhood trying to get into a reality based community. And I like it here".

There were people who hated Bill Clinton with a passion way before he did anything stupid. I'm still trying to understand exactly why that is, or why some people still hate him so viciously today that they continue vilify and blame him. But after last night I think part of it could just be plain jealousy. Bill Clinton is a very, very intelligent man but able to communicate in a plain-spoken way that engages rather than alienates. He is really, really funny. He could do stand-up if he wanted. Plus he's charming and looks great: lean, healthy and handsome.

In sorting through the photos I realized there were over 80 pictures. Which is crazy. And most of them didn't turn out because I was at table 113 and he was up by table 6. But I weeded through and found a few to share. They're not great but they'll do. I was especially pleased that I managed to get one with the characteristic thumb gesture.


Hail to the chief.

8 Comments:

Blogger Allan opined...

Wow.Great evening!
I used to work for him- indirectly- and am proud to have done so.
I'm even glad he did the Monica thing.
Why not?
Leaders who are sexually repressed seem to start wars to replace the other fun they are missing- to this day, Hitler's recurring impotence is rumored to have played a large role in his mad lust for war and power - I'm just sayin' is all...

August 01, 2006 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I am all agog. (That's very fun to say, btw.)

I was not really a fan until after he left office and I realized how good he was. Sometimes all it takes to be a good president is not sucking so horribly.

It doesn't happen very often.

August 01, 2006 12:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

God, I miss having a real president. I'm glad you got to be there.

He came to San Diego for a candidate I was working for in 2000, and seeing him speak on her behalf you would have thought they had been close friends for years.

He has a touch and charisma that can't be explained.

August 01, 2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Lorraine, history will back you up on that.

The man was born to lead this country.

Bush was born to manage a Chevron station, at best.

August 01, 2006 3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

The last pic is priceless...it's his inimitable thumb gesture. He's such a rock star, it makes me teary eyed to see these pics. DANG. Thank you for posting, your thoughts and his speech were great reading today.

~BBB

August 01, 2006 3:31 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I too love the thumb. Good times. Good times...

August 01, 2006 5:50 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Oh, gosh . . . remember the balanced budgets, the judicious use of force in the former Yugoslavia, the constant and nearly successful efforts to broker an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal?

Good times, good times.

[Sigh.]

August 01, 2006 10:44 PM  
Blogger Mary opined...

Good job on thumb. Must have been a boost to hear him. lucky.

August 02, 2006 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home