Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Procrastination is Stupid

People who procrastinate are silly. That'd be me.

Here's what I need to do:

Call June for a lunch date (she's left 2 messages)
Call JJ to finalize some puppy arrangements.
Send out letters to next year's room parents (a letter that has been written for a week. I only have to find the room parent list, look up the addresses in the directory and address the envelopes).
Mail a registration form for schola camp for The Child. The form has been filled out since June and I wrote the check last week. Why is it still on my desk? Because I have to stop and look up the address of the Cathedral.

What is really silly is that all these things are weighing on me because they aren't done. And it will be the work of minutes to do them. So what's the hold up? I understand when I procrastinate about things that I don't enjoy doing. That is a perfectly sane thing to do. Not productive, but sane. But avoiding things that aren't hard to do and just need to be done? What's that about? Because every day I do things that don't exactly rock my world. I'm not thrilled to the marrow to swab the bathroom or unload the dishwasher. Laundry is probably the one thing I'd hire out if hiring out were an option. Sweeping and mopping are satisfying in the end result but I don't wake up saying, "Goody, today I get to sweep". But I do it, every day, without thinking. But looking up an address? Sticking a stamp on an envelope?

And while it is tempting to think about whether procrastination is inherited or learned that in itself would be adding another layer of procrastination to the whole ridiculous process so I won't. Although The Child got up, asked if I had made notes on her book report draft and since I hadn't yet said she would go work on her typing in the meantime. Which suggests that it is not hereditary.






Here's something I accomplished: yesterday it remained cool enough to iron everything that needed ironing. Not exactly brokering peace in the Middle East but is still felt good.





As I write Nicole is coaching The Child because she has a little scene in a movie this weekend (friend of The Spouse, no studios involved, don't get excited) and must deliver a line in French and she, The Child, wants to make sure to get it just right. Ironically, the line is "J'ai des devoir a faire" which for purposes of the story means "I have homework" but is more literally something like "I've got things to do". And because I'm so silly and easily manipulated, saying "J'ai des devoir a faire" inspires me to get all that pestery stuff done. Because everything sounds better in French. Pardonnez-moi, j'ai des devoir a faire. Bon jour.

See?

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown opined...

Except for the fact that you are a much more talented writer than I, you are a beautiful redhead, and you are an excellent gardener, we are surely twins separated at birth. I procrastinate about the same exact sort of stupid stuff. For example, my 2003 taxes (with a nice fat refund due me) are sitting on my desk, complete, just waiting to be put into an envelope and mailed. What's the holdup? Do I not WANT the money? A medical claim form, completed, that will bring me money once it's mailed, is sitting here awaiting an envelope, stamp, and mailing. What's the holdup? Some tops I bought from Victoria Secret that didn't fit, are sitting here, ready to go save the return label being taped to the package, waiting to be sent back for a refund. What's the damned holdup? WHY do I procrastinate so? In my case, I do think it's hereditary....my son suffers from the same disease.

July 26, 2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Gina, If it makes you feel any better, I don't know about the "better writer" bit, the hair comes out of a bottle and I only show you the pictures of my garden that are prospering.

Procrastinating about things where getting money are involved...I have totally done that and it REALLY doesn't make sense.

Guess we can blame mom, huh?

July 26, 2006 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I have been driving around a $90 pair of shoes in the trunk of my car, in a pre-paid UPS box, waiting to be dropped off at any UPS store, for a refund which probably won't be sent to me because I've had the shoes since March and they have a 30 day return policy.

THAT'S procrastination.

July 26, 2006 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I have stopped buying things based on the price after refund because I know full well I will never mail in the refund ticket.

July 26, 2006 2:33 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

I was going to comment but Ill do it later

July 26, 2006 3:15 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Nayb, I'd be inclined to give you the procrastination trophy but I think Gina's 3 year old tax return beats the shoes. Nice second place, though.

JP, No lie. When a salesperson tried to entice me with that sort of stuff I snort in their general direction.

July 26, 2006 3:58 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I finally did send off my first mail-in rebate a while back. It took about 4 months to get back but I did receive the money...

July 26, 2006 11:12 PM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

Oh boy l know how you feel Lorraine! So bl. much to do, so little time. I think l'll go and face the ironing. bah. :)

July 27, 2006 3:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Ahhhh....we are not alone! ;) And like "neighbor", I have some items I purchased online, didn't like, could have easily sent back for a refund, but they sat in my office for six months, too long past the date of purchase to be returned, so now I'm stuck with them - to the tune of $134. :( What is WRONG with me? I may well be able to blame Mom. I think she was also a procrastinator to some degree, though I do recall her religiously doing the bills right on schedule each month. Until onlne bill paying became available, I was always behind in my bills...not because I couldn't afford to pay them, but because I just couldn't bring myself to sit down, write the check, stamp the envelope, and mail the damned things. Worse yet, when I owned my own computer sales/service business, I would sometmes wait weeks before getting around to invoicing customers for their purchases, to the tune of hundreds and thousands of dollars. I finally hired someone to do that for me. I'm sick.

July 28, 2006 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home