Saturday, July 08, 2006

Horse Race

Dang it! Last night we were watching "Batman Begins" and out of nowhere I say, "Oh! Remind me to charge the battery for the camera". And no one did and of course, I didn't remember. So I hope there's enough juice to chronicle at least a bit of today's outing to the track. It's Costco Family Day at Emerald Downs, which means we have tickets to get in and coupons for chips & soda. Yum. One doesn't necessary think of horse racing and family being in the same category but it's all in how you look at it. Kids like horses.

Originally we had a largish party planned, then The Spouse couldn't go because of this independent film project he's working on. So The Child invited a friend. Then another couple neglected to write down the date and now my BIL and his wife are making hemming and hawing noises. So it could just be The Neighbor and the kids and me. But that's ok, too, because, you know, I'm dreadfully fond of The Neighbor.

So I have a system at the track. I don't pay a lick of attention to the odds or the horse's history. But if I like the horse's name, I bet on it to win. This system was perfected the first time we went to one of these things. My SIL and I chose the horse together and won in the first two races. After that, not so much. But we still just couldn't bring ourselves to bet on a horse with a "stupid" name.

It's kinda fun at the track. There's an actual guy with an actual horn that blows that "da da da da tah da" thing that you always think of in connection to horse races. It's fun to go look at the horses in the paddock and of course, who doesn't love eating a hotdog in a sporting venue? It's a beautiful day today, which will be nice because horses and mud are not so fun. I'm a very conservative gambler (which I'm sure, given the events of the last few days comes as a total shock to you). I am willing to lose a set amount and basically figure that if I break even I've done well. It's not about the betting (although I felt a bit like I was in a movie the first time I placed a bet for some horse to win and another to show, kinda like being in "The Sting"). It's a novelty, something we don't usually do. And it is always fun to spend a Saturday afternoon with people you like. Plus, it'll get me away from the computer. Which is a good thing right now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Grish opined...

Sounds like fun. I've never actually been to the track but I remember watching it on TV back when they had some kind of a virtual bingo type thing that my parents played every week.

Hope eric is enjoying his working vacation.

July 08, 2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Different subject. Cherries were on sale so I tried your cherry drink thing last night. Damn, that was good! I'll make it for The Hag. I've already named the drink a "Lorraine."

July 08, 2006 11:04 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Jon, Glad you liked it. We call it "The Cardinal", but I don't mind it being called for me. Such a claim to fame.

July 08, 2006 11:06 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Going to the track is definitely family friendly,my kids used to love it.My own system is to pick a horse with decent odds(8 to 1 or better) and bet them to place or show.

July 08, 2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, That system makes too much sense. Stop it. (Although maybe I'll give a shot).

July 08, 2006 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home