Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Corn Dogs


Who doesn't love them? (And if you don't, keep it to yourself for I am feeling rhapsodic and prefer to have my mood left entirely alone).

I was planning to share the recipe and then totally forgot but Nicole's request reminded me, so here it is. The funny thing about this recipe is that it came from "Saveur" magazine...which is several editorial rungs above "Good Housekeeping". It still cracks me up that I got a carnival food recipe from a chichi magazine. These are super delicious.

Corn Dogs

1 c. flour
2/3 c. yellow cornmeal
2 T. sugar
1 ½ t. baking powder
¼ t. dry mustard
1 egg, lightly beaten
¾ c. milk
vegetable oil
8 hot dogs
8 wooden skewers

Sift together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and mustard in a bowl. Whisk together egg, milk and 2 t. oil in another bowl. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, beating with a wooden spoon until batter is smooth.


Heat oil to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, dry hot dogs with paper towels, then skewer them with wooden skewers. Dip hot dogs into batter until evenly coated. Gently place battered hot dogs in hot oil and fry, turning once or twice, until crisp and golden, about 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towels.

Here's a trick for coating the dogs that I learned from Alton Brown over on the Food Network. Put the batter into a pint glass and then you can just pop the dogs into the batter for even coating.

Serve with mustard and ketchup.

7 Comments:

Blogger Iwanski opined...

I love corn dogs.

Love them. Somehow forgot about their existence, however, and have not eaten a corn dog in many years.

I am putting my shoes on right now to go find corn dogs.

July 05, 2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I'm right behind Iwanski.

July 05, 2006 4:53 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Corndogs are awesome but I had no idea that we could make such things ourselves.

Your actually telling me that I DON'T have to buy them buy the box?!

July 05, 2006 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Nothing says lovin' like a fresh corn dog straight from the deep fryer. These are so damn tasty you won't never go back to the box. Use yerself a good hot dog and make sure the temperature be jest right and boy oh boy, smack my butt and call me Nancy they are good!

July 05, 2006 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Charlie, Knowin' how you Scots people like the fried foods...I don't know it from personal experience like but I'm pert damn sure they be better 'en haggis.

July 05, 2006 10:08 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

Yeah! Thank you. I'm going to make them for my combo Bastille Day, 4th of July Franco-American Independance Day celebration.

July 06, 2006 6:56 AM  
Blogger Amy opined...

Hey, check this out - that totally reminds me of grade school... they used to have corn dog day... and it was always a special day - which made it really nice - cause - corn dog day was pretty much every other day... madness...

I've made them before too but I'm gonna jot down this recipe and call it Lorraine Corny Corn Dogs... I know... I know... I need to get a hobby.. pft..

July 06, 2006 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home