Saturday, June 17, 2006

Sheesh

Regarding the search for the missing Netflix disc:

I knew I'd seen it. I could not justify reporting it as missing because even though it was, in fact, missing it wasn't lost in the mail. It had entered my home and the missing happened after that fact. Sure that it had merely found its way into a pile o' papers (and possibly into a pile o' papers that had since been removed to the recycling) I:

looked through the papers in my desk (minimal amount, mostly already organized but did find a 4th receipt for film left at Costco)

searched through all the papers on the top of my desk (far more serious situation), all the papers strewn throughout The Child's room and the 2nd pile of papers in the kitchen. (Edy, I do NOT usually have this many hotspots...just been a little off the routine the last 2 days).

I then sorted through the miscellany that has accumulated on top of and behind the baker's rack that houses all the A/V equipment. Nothing.

Small items of furniture are moved away from walls. Nada.

There's only one place left to look. So out I go and begin to carefully and systematically remove every piece of paper from the big recycling bin outside (which, by the way, is 3/4 full). Zilch.

Now convinced that I'll have to report the disc as lost and pay $19 or whatever for a copy of "The Chosen" (which I like very much but am not sure I need to own), I throw in the proverbial towel and take The Neighbor with me to Trader Joe's. And Costco.

Arriving home I am greeted by a gleeful Child. "Mom! Mom! Guess what? You know that Netflix disc you lost? It came in the mail today!"

The advancing senility of her mother is of great amusement to her at present. Wait until she has to start spoon feeding me. That'll learn her.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm thinking now that you can take any topic whatsoever and turn it into pure entertainment. I probably already knew that but I can be kind of slow on the uptake.

I'm considering breaking into your house and hiding things just to read the story you'll come up with.

June 17, 2006 6:36 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Your not alone. The other day I looked for a computer archive on CD for 3 days.

Until eventually remembering that at the time I made the archive I had a backup hard drive on my computer which I had to tear apart and then put the drive INTO the computer because the external case stopped working.

I found the folder when I was organizing my mp3s...

June 17, 2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

jp, Just make sure you hide somewhere fairly obvious, like on top of the piano. I can't guarantee I'd find you quick enough otherwise.

Charlie, You are so fortunate to have the Sensible One. A good brain cooling keeps one youthful, so I hear. When my hearing aid is turned up.

Grish, Thank you. That is very comforting. See you in the Home.

June 18, 2006 7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Hilarious!! :) :)

June 18, 2006 5:44 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Miss Healthypants: You can say that for your synapses are young and supple. Just you frackin' wait, girlie!

June 18, 2006 9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home