Saturday, June 17, 2006

It's Not Even 9 Yet

Odd thing about a week-day rising time of 5:30 a.m.: on the weekends you can sleep in for 2 hours and still wake up "early". Another odd thing, having an official 7th grader in our midst. She claims not to feel any different and requested apple strudel for breakfast. She had to settle for granola.

After school got out yesterday morning The Child and I met friends for dim sum. It was fantastic. Excellent little buns and dumplings abounded, washed down with tea and then beer. Little hard to chat with everyone over the large table and goodie laden lazy susan in the center but I was next to Karl and we talked about food. Specifically the business about how cuisine comes from the peasant class; that the notion of taking something offal (Charlie! I made a pun) and turning it into edible, even sumptuous food came out the economics of needing to use every bit of what one had, citing Anthony Bourdain, remembering elders eating pigs feet and all that. I do enjoy talking about food while eating good food.

Then The Child and I toddled off to purchase an organizer so she can practise with it before school starts again. She was totally on board with this and gleefully examined the variety available. She insisted I get one for myself (specifically the one with the Eiffel Tower and the dancing kitty in a beret that said "Bonjour!"). She was giddy about these purchases, examining both organizers in detail. She rapsodized about the various sections, delighted in the cunning little zipper pocket that contained a bookmark, post it notes and themed eraser (hers has a semi-anime thing going on with a panda and strawberries motif). "Oh," I said, "You and I have the same disease".

"What?"

"Office Supplyitis".

She laughed.

"Office Supplyitis," I continued, "Characterized by a feverish delight in the constant purchase of notebooks, file folders and various organization systems". I added that there is no known cure for the condition but that symptoms can be alleviated by actually using the organizational items one purchases.

She laughed again. (OK, this is the cool part of your kid getting older. When she isn't thinking you are the dumbest person ever you can totally talk and joke on a semi-adult level. I love that).
Must run. Have misplaced a Netflix disc that we had intended to watch last night and desperately wish to have it in hand for this evening's viewing pleasure. Also must search for a moo-shu pork recipe as have not made it before but has been requested by Child. (Note: last paragraph significantly influenced by fact that have been re-reading Bridget Jones' Diary. v.g.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I love the fact that you and The Child connected over the Office Supplyitis. I'd give anything to be able to do that with A Child. Is The Child responsible for financing the outing?

Iwanski showed me how I can finally link you. Karioke was involved. Great evening!

June 17, 2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger Hina opined...

I've had a sick family on my hands for the last week, so I haven't been reading your blog. But I just got all caught up and I have to say... I really enjoyed reading about you and your daughter. It's so nice to hear another mom talk about a real-life relationship with her child.

About the post regarding the field trip... It's so refreshing to know that you had the courage to look at yourself in the eye and challenge your own actions. So many people (including myself) would probably justify themselves to the ends of the earth.

Hats off to you, for being a great mom and an even better person :)

June 17, 2006 10:59 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Jon, Find a convenient time and I'll happily loan you The Child. And no, in this case Mom ponied up for the goods. But sometimes she buys me coffee.

Hina, Hope everyone is healthy again. And thanks for the snaps. I haven't felt like that great of a mom but guess I get points for trying. (Feel free to file these musing away for when Iman gets older. Just so you know you aren't going crazy).

June 17, 2006 11:24 AM  
Blogger Amy opined...

oh goodness... it eases my mind a bit to know that others suffer from supplyitis as well... give me paper, paper and pens... paper and pens and folders! - gimme!

sounds like you're going to have a great summer with The Child

June 17, 2006 1:40 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

If I whined about wanting something, "Aww, I need a new aquarium," my dear grandmother would retort, "Dear Buck, people in Hell want ice-water!"
She also paid me $3.50 a day to work in her dry-cleaning shop. This was in 1971. We're the same age, dear heart.

June 17, 2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I saw a thing on 20/20 about parents whose kids contracted Office Supplyitis from them.

It's sad. They're enver the same after it.

They wind up having to attend special schools. Like Yale and Harvard.

June 17, 2006 5:09 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Sounds like your going to have a good summer!

June 17, 2006 5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Lorraine, two things I wanted to tell you:

1) Jonathan and I often talk about food when eating good food! It's just so much fun!! :)

2) I also have Office Supplitis--I can't walk into an Office Supply Store without spending wads of money on useless filing tools.

Too bad I don't always use them...but oh what fun!! :)

June 18, 2006 5:50 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ms. HP: Maybe we should form a support group.

June 18, 2006 9:12 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

I love office supplies too! I even to to the supply section in our office and poke around to see if I find anything interesting.

Every year there is a search for the perfect planner (rarely or imperfectly used) and the perfect gel pen. I have decided that the answer to my ongoing organizational woes is to forego folders and opt for a paper sorter. And I must get a label maker and a shredder. I've also just discovered www.addconsults.com/ store/. Even though I don't have ADD, I think I need to thoroughly investigate their offerings. Particularly their "soft clothes for the hypersensitive."

June 20, 2006 8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home