Thursday, June 01, 2006

I Have Nothing Meaningful To Say And If You Don't Believe Me, Just Read This

Sometimes you just have to indulge in a random brain dump.

Things I'm Thankful For:

I planted my vegetable garden. This is a major accomplishment. I direct sowed the Japanese eggplant, which was probably really stupid, but everything else should grow just fine.

There are 2 weeks left of school The Child is eating hot lunch every one of those days. I am officially done making lunches. I hate making school lunches. I know. Make her do it. Sometimes she does. But even so I still have to make sure there's lunch stuff around because otherwise she'd just pack baggies of sugar. School doesn't start again until September 11. 3 months and 2 weeks of not making school lunches. Heaven.

Something I Started Doing Again:

Working out. I had been going to Curves for about 1.5 years but quit in January because I was bored out of my mind. (No reflection on The Neighbor, who I go with. I always like spending time with her). But our good friend BBB is getting married in September and The Child is in the wedding. This is an excuse to buy something really fantastic for my Mother of the Junior Bridesmaid outfit but there's about 5 pounds I should do something about if I want that fantastic-still-to-be-found ensemble to look like something other than a sausage casing. So it's back to lifting weights and staying away from fried Snickers bars for a few months, at least.

Here's a Word I Always Have Trouble Pronouncing:

archipelago

I Have Issues with Ally Sheedy
Last night I happened on a sanitized-for-your-protection airing of "The Breakfast Club". It's still a pretty ok movie if you're into the teen angst and parental alienation thing. I look on it as research.

Ally Sheedy is in "The Breakfast Club". She kinda bugs me. Here's why:

At the age of 8 I wrote a little tale called Marshmallows for Mouse Pillows about a family of intrepid mice who have to periodically raid the kitchen for fresh marshmallows because, as you know, marshmallows get hard if they are left out in the air. Adventures and mayhem ensued. I was very proud of it. It was illustrated and everything. I held on to the manuscript for a long time, sure that one day I would have it published.

When I was 17 Ally Sheedy, who was then 12, published a book called She was Nice to Mice. It had never ocurred to me that a kid could try to publish something. The book was something of a phenom, owing to the youth of the author (she wasn't acting yet). My mom gave me an article about it that she found in Newsweek. This was meant to encourage and inspire but all I could think was that I had missed the boat. I would never publish anything, ever, and certainly not in the fictional intrepid mouse genre. I am reminded of this dark time whenever I see Ally Sheedy.

Breeding
I'm fairly liberal regarding a lot of social issues but am sick to the teeth of people in Hollywood getting knocked up before they get married. I don't judge their morality or lack thereof, as that's not my job. What I hate is the glamour that then necessarily attaches to such behavior. The average high school girl in the average American town isn't going to be able to put her kid in Baby Prada, hire 4 nannies and an au pair and still get dates if the dad bails. It really, really bugs me. Plus, apparently they've passed a law in Hollywood that you can't give your child a normal name if you ever want to work again. With all this in mind I'd like to celebrate the fact that Mira Sorvino just gave birth to her second child and named him Johnny. The child was fathered by - wait for it - her husband! I love a rebel. Snaps.

Movies I Have Never Seen & Books I Have Never Read But I'm Fine with It
"Pretty in Pink"
"Urban Cowboy"
"Pulp Fiction"

War and Peace
Ulysses
The House of the Seven Gables

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I didn't used to hate Ally Sheedy, but I do now. I'd put a curse upon her but I think Short Circuit already took care of that.

June 01, 2006 12:41 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

jp, Thanks for the support.

June 01, 2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I hate the cleaned-up, commerical-loaded movies on AMC. They ruined the Breakfast Club and no other channel shows it anymore.

The proper Breakfast Club movie exists only on DVD.

AMC must die.

And I would recommend seeing Pulp Fiction because it is amazingly interesting from start to finish. One of the last things in the a scene with Samuel L Jackson and a nervous hold-up man. The sight of Samuel L. Jackson's wallet is worth the price of admission alone.

If you ever do decide to watch it, make sure the Child is at least 300 miles from your home.

June 01, 2006 3:35 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I used to work out on a regular basis. Up till about 5 years ago, when I quit and became lazy. I have been thinking of starting up again, just haven't for some reason.

On breeding... I can't believe someone would actually have the audacity to have a child in wedlock in this day and age. What's this world coming to?

June 01, 2006 5:49 PM  
Blogger Jenn opined...

Im am completely with you 100% with having the baby out of wedlock. Or saying your getting married and then intentionally waiting until after the birth... then never doing it (ahem TomKat). It does send the wrong message. But Im not gonna lie, Im gonna gush over the kids when they're cute!

June 02, 2006 7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You know, every once in awhile I get the urge to fish out the old Spandex sports alb (although at my age, what's to damage?) and do a few turns around the Tempietto, but when I have such impure thoughts I just have a nice sit-down on my cathedra (which is still firm, thank you), have a glass of malaga and a biscotto, and sure enough, it passes.

You shouldn't be okay with War and Peace. The others, Feh!

June 02, 2006 1:00 PM  
Blogger Display Name opined...

mmmm...baggies of sugar...

June 02, 2006 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home