Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Stuff Around the House


So all the cool kids are doing it (like here and here and here) so what the hey. It's certainly a good solution for those "blogger's block" times when you don't have much to say.

This is my chicken cookie jar, looking out the window at the very sunny back garden. I think she is wondering why the heck it's nice now, when everyone has gone back to school and work.

I found this cookie jar in a mega-thrift shop in Yachats, Oregon. The town motto is "La di dah". I'm not kidding. We were there for a family reunion about 7 years ago and, as is the way of our people, the women went shopping while the men went golfing. (Except my sainted brother who had taken all the younger kids to a zoo or museum or something).

I saw this cookie jar and I had to have it. I don't know why. I don't bake cookies that often and when I do there aren't enough left to put in a cookie jar. It's not the most accurate representation of a chicken. But there was something about it that said, "Take me home". I kept walking away and coming back and finally, amid the mocking of my family, bought it. They all threatened to inundate me with chicken ceramics for the rest of my life but to date none of them have. Although they still tease me about the chicken.

I still can't explain the presence of the chicken in my life. I'm really not a ceramic chicken cookie jar kind of gal. (Which is why the womenfolk found my choice so odd. It was out of character and therefore worthy of twitting). But there she sits and I still love her so she stays.

Also, as you know, The Spouse and I have been catching up on "Battlestar Gallactica" and finding it very enjoyable. We also find it amusing that the humans derisively refer to the Cylons as "toasters". What's even funnier is that whenever you actually see a toaster it's like this one:


Our frackin' toaster. It has a plan.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Glad you're enjoying BG.

And remember, if you ever catch The Spouse talking to the toaster, he might be a cylon.

May 30, 2006 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Cute chicken -

Speaking of chickens, here's a website with an oh so cool chicken coop setup - omlet.com - check out the latest in urban chicken keeping. For a mere $800+ (and how many dozens of eggs will that buy?) they send you the coop and three chickens -

Tempting.....

May 30, 2006 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oops - wrong website - it's omlet.us -

May 30, 2006 2:58 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

My sister informed me that she has an Alien Gumball Head, and it will be given to me next time I see her.

I cannot wait.

May 30, 2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

More people are killed every year in toaster-related accidents than by genocidal robots. It's true. Look it up.

May 30, 2006 3:42 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

jp: I've been keeping an eye on him. You know They look like us now.

Charlie: Cluck cluck.

Neighb: Hmmmm...$400 per family for all the eggs we can eat...hmmm again...

Iwanski: I'm so happy for you. Please post a picture.

Pat: I'm sure you're right. But now I'm keeping an eye on both the toaster and The Spouse.

May 30, 2006 3:51 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Hmmm, I think my grandma had a chicken just like that.

As far as the toaster goes.

The tin heads aren't very smart. It's the ones that look like us you have to watch out for... :)

May 31, 2006 1:51 AM  
Blogger Hapamama opined...

isn't it heinous that we have to wait until October?????

June 01, 2006 4:43 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hapmama, It's giving us time to catch up. Can you believe we weren't regular viewers? I'm just not sure we're going to get all the previous seasons PLUS last season's reruns under our belt before October. Pressure!

June 01, 2006 6:52 AM  
Blogger Hapamama opined...

It's a tad stunning that you weren't already watching, but you excel at so many things it can be overlooked ;) As for me, I have a feeling that October will come much more quickly once our June Bug arrives!

June 01, 2006 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home