Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Entertainment News & Other Fascinating Tidbits




Entertainment News

The season finale of "Gilmore girls" was last night. jp said all that needs to be said. Except this: I still love the girls and hope that the perilous plot lines unearthed last night will be happily resolved next season. At least there will be a next season, unlike "The West Wing" which still has me mildly depressed.

On a perkier note, however, I finally watched an entire episode of "Boston Legal". The plan was to go to bed because my Daily Productivity Factor is, sadly, increasingly compromised by any bedtime later than 10:30. But the show came on and there on the screen was the inimitable Parker Posey. That was enough for me. It was most enjoyable and I will have to either start taping it or just blow off Wednesdays. It's a happy thing to find a good, new show since so many of my standbys are going or gone.

Tom Cruise was in Aberdeen, Washington yesterday. For those of you unfamiliar with the smaller burgs in Washington state, picture the smallest, pokiest town you've ever been in. Aberdeen is bigger than that but it still has all the big hair, double wides and (I'm just guessing here so I could be wrong but I doubt it) more than one set of married cousins. Tom had a promotional appearance at the mall which would suggest that the whole nutjob thing is starting to take a toll on his cache. Apparently Katie was with him which is fab because I've been sure that he's had her stashed in Pat's basement. I would have missed this whole episode save for the intrepid reporting of my mother. She emailed me the news under the heading "Stupid Things". I love my mom.

Other Fascinating Tidbits

Digging in the garden really works your abs. Ow.

I know that "occasion" is spelled with 2 c's and 1 s but I still have to look it up to be sure. Every single time.

"Nonplussed" is one of the coolest words ever but it confuses me because it doesn't mean what it seems like it should mean. I always think it's in the same category as "nonchalance" when it actually runs to the opposite end of the meaning spectrum. In an effort to solve this problem I have written the definition -"at a loss for words"- on a post-it note and put it above my desk.

I enjoy saying "John Negroponte". Seriously, I chant it a few times every day because I love the way it sounds. It is right up there with Boutros Boutros-Ghali for sheer entertainment value.

7 Comments:

Blogger Hapamama opined...

Parker Posey is going to be on Boston Legal as a regular?

May 10, 2006 4:55 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I don't know if she's a regular or a just for now but according to IMDb she's been in a few episodes. Love it. I even love her when I don't love the movie she's in. Like "House of Yes". House of Ick. But I still love her.

May 10, 2006 5:05 PM  
Blogger Hapamama opined...

I LOVE "HOUSE OF YES" - even w/the ick factor! If she's going to be on for a while I'll have to take a nap beforehand so I can see her. Thanks for the info!

May 10, 2006 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Glad you liked BL; hopefully it'll repeat this summer so you can catch up because last night wasn't even them at their best. I could listen to James Spader talk for hours. And while having heard the name before, I'm embarrassed that I didn't know that was Parker Posey although she did look familiar from something... She was good, though.

May 10, 2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Last night's BL really didn't do the show justice they are usually better than that. Maybe Alan had a cold or something...

However, if you liked it even remotely wait until you see them in top form.

I don't know who Parker Posey is but I assumed she was the 'blink' lady with the treo. :)

By the way Tivo rocks!

May 10, 2006 11:59 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

I like hippotame, my fav funny word. Hey, does nonplussed come from non plus as in me neither or not that either?

May 11, 2006 7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

My red satin beanie and swirly cape lend me a certain sangfroid akin to "nonchalance," so I'm speaking ex cathedra here. "Chaleur" is French for heat, so it literally means "no heat"--or "cool," as in"kewel." Kewel Italian cardinals have "sprezzatura,"a term invented, I believe, by Machiavelli for the same thing, but of course no Italian would settle for a French word for such an important attribute.

Jiggers, the Copts! Gotta run.

May 12, 2006 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home