Friday, May 12, 2006

6 Degrees of Separation



"Six degrees of separation is the theory that anyone on earth can be connected to any other person on the planet through a chain of acquaintances that has no more than five intermediaries". Thus spake Wikipedia. I've no doubt that this is true.

Allow me to demonstrate. The Spouse used to work in the movie biz. At a cast/crew party I met and spoke, briefly, to the lovely and talented Natasha Richardson. In those few moments I began a chain of connection that gets me pretty much to any and all actors on at least 2 continents.

For example:
Me>Tasha>Liam Neeson
Me>Tasha>Colin Firth (which makes me dizzy with joy)
Me>Tasha>Alan Rickman>all the Harry Potter stars (The Child loves that one).

Never mind that Natasha's mother is Vanessa Redgrave, which puts me 3 degrees from anyone Vanessa has ever known or worked with. Let's put the celebrity factor aside for a moment. Factoring in regular, ordinary people puts me 3 degrees from every hotel clerk, waiter or Palestinian Ms. Redgrave ever met. Which puts me 4 degrees to everyone each of those people ever met.

Here are some more examples:

Me>Tasha>Lindsay Lohan

I've met a cousin of The Neighbor's who went to St. Andrews College and spilled beer on Prince William:
Me>Erica>Wills>Diana.

JM's mom was once hit on by Louis Armstrong:
Me>JM>his mom>Louis>Grace Kelly

Sometimes, in my idle hours, I play this game and marvel at all the people to whom I am connected. And again, those are the ones easily traced through their filmography on the IMDb. All chains of connection we establish through our lives would be equally fascinating, were we able to trace them. What are the links that follow from me to the guy who checked my groceries this morning? Who does he know? It really is a very small world.

And that is why the NSA is getting in on the fun. They aren't accessing our phone records because they want to know about us. No, you silly rabbits, they just want to know everyone we've ever talked to so they can determine whether one of those people talked to someone who talked to someone else who talked to someone in, let's say, al Qaeda. It's a benign game of 6 degrees of separation so let's all just relax.

Here's a fun one: Me>John Kerry>George W. Bush. What is great about that is it gets me 3 degrees to Stephen Colbert and only 4 to Jon Stewart. No, wait, Kerry's been on The Daily Show. Jon Stewart in 3.

And my Bacon number? It's 3.
Me>Spouse>Keifer Sutherland>Kevin Bacon

Your turn.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Iwanski opined...

Me > Michael Moore

1 degree.

May 12, 2006 3:12 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

That's hot.

May 12, 2006 3:29 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Me > Doug Feith > George Bush.

Me > Lorraine > Maria Cantwell.

Me > Ron Dellums (nude!) > Tip O'Neill (not nude).

This is fun!

May 12, 2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ah, I knew the Dellums-in-the-shower story had myriad uses.

May 12, 2006 4:08 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Also, when I was a child, I threw up on the guy who played Buckwheat.

Me > [puke] > Buckwheat

May 12, 2006 4:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

No, the puke doesn't count...once again you get there in 1.

May 12, 2006 4:32 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Depends on what he had for breakfast. Upchuck cream of buck wheat

May 12, 2006 11:57 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

I once waited on Julia and Keifer at a restaurant in North Carolina. Joe Pesci too. Oh yeah and the big guy from Beetlejuice.

May 13, 2006 12:30 AM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

Me>charlie>Kurt Vonnegut

Me>charlie>the Marx Brothers

Me>charlie>Chairman Mao

May 13, 2006 8:09 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Nicole, Excellent...you realize that waiting on Jules & Keifer makes your Bacon number a mere 2? There are actors in Hollywood farther removed than that!

Edy, And what about the Yalta heavyweights? Talk about connected!

May 13, 2006 8:12 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Me>various drugged out and/or gay friends>RuPaul
Me>Joyce Johnson>Jack Kerouac
Me>John Brockman>Elaine Pagels
Me>John Brockman>Andy Warhol
Me>John Brockman>Claire Bloom
Me>John Brockman>Jack Nicholson
Me>John Brockman>Dennis Hopper
Me>John Brockman>David Gelernter>Unibomber
Me>Dale Peck (well, he's famously mean)
Me>Amy Ray
Me>struggling script writer friend>Pedro Almadovar

I used to work for John Brockman, who seemed to know every bloody big name on the planet. Not that I ever met any of them myself, except Elaine Pagels and some scruffy Russian spies, who weren't famous, but because he knew them we got a letter from that mole in the CIA (what was his name?) written from prison in pencil on yellow legal pad paper. Oh those were heady days. Also, my struggling script writer friend works in a video rental store in Hollywood where movies stars get movies. He once got chewed out by Faye Dunaway.

May 13, 2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger Diane S. opined...

Suddenly I feel so much better about the NSA!

And wow! 3 degrees of separation between you and Colin Firth. That would make me dizzy with joy too! (I have his version of Pride & Prejudice in my very small film collection - there aren't many movies I want to see more than twice.)

Does that make you four degrees of separation from Jane Austen? Because that would be just too cool.

May 13, 2006 2:41 PM  
Blogger Diane S. opined...

Hey Bad Alice!

You > Joyce Johnson > Jack Kerouac > My College Fiance's Mother > Me.

Cool.

Hi Alice!

May 13, 2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Bad Alice, You beautifully demonstrate the fact that it only takes one connection to hook you up very impressively with all sorts of names. Just thinking about where the Kerouac connection takes you makes a person feel light headed....

Diane S, The Spouse recently gave me the DVD set of "P&P", the REAL one, with Colin. I heart him. I'm so lucky that The Spouse doesn't mind.

May 13, 2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Ooo I have that P&P! I still remember the first time I saw Coline Firth, in high school, when I saw Another Country on TV. He was a bit outshadowed at the time by Rupert, but now I've matured.

Diane S.--Can we get from Kerouac to Colin Firth?

May 14, 2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Bad Alice:

you>Brockman>jack nicolson>faye dunaway>tasha>colin

I might be able to get you closer but 5 degrees is still 5 degrees.

And for the record, I too fell in love with Colin via "Another Country".

May 14, 2006 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home