Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Let the Games Begin


The Child brought home the playoff bracket for this week's games. (She also recorded her predictions at each level, with her team in the "Champions" spot). Hers is the top seeded team, owing to their undefeated record. Other teams went 7-0 but all of them had matches that went to a 3rd game.

They are looking extremely good going into tonight. Everyone is healthy (knock wood - I hope they all play Quaker Meeting at recess). The weakest link on the team at least has a good serve. Everyone else is plenty skilled, if not downright talented. The Child's game has improved so much since last year. She's too short to spike but she's learned how to set, her bumps are dead-on (most of the time) and she is one of the best servers on the squad (this from a kid who was lucky to get the ball to the net last year). Here's how far she's come: she has a guaranteed berth as a starter.

So we're in for a zany week. Or not. It's a sudden death tournament, baby. The second they lose they are eliminated and the season ends, not with a bang but a whimper. (TS Eliot: sportswriter. Who knew?) The sudden deathness of it all has The Child a little restive. She really just wants to think about the championship game on Saturday. The fact that there are 3 do-or-die games between does not make her comfortable. Oh goody. Another "teaching moment".

So I tell her that she has to take one day at a time and give it her best in each game. That's all any of them can do. I tell her that if they talk to each other and keep their heads in the game (always their weakness) they should do well. Very well. They should kick it all the way to Saturday. But first things first.

And of course, I'm just as anxious. You know I love being at home on school nights. You know I love leisurely dinners. This week could be full of rushing, gobbled meals and nary enough time for The Child to do homework but I'm ok with that. I hope it is like that because I want to see them in that final game as much as they want it. And you know I must mean that because tonight's game isn't even until 7:30 which means I have to tape "Gilmore girls".

You'll also be happy to know that I have planned my playoff wardrobe and under no circumstances will my sweatshirt be involved. I learned that lesson. Go Dragons!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Go Dragons! Keep us posted...

April 25, 2006 9:30 AM  
Blogger Middle Child opined...

Whoa serious spotie stuff here...tread warily Middle child.

April 27, 2006 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home