Tuesday, January 31, 2006

SOTU Bingo


I won! I won!

The Child was poised with a double diagonal and had the President only uttered the words "small business initiatives" she would have skunked me. As it was, I slid in with "no child left behind".

The Child felt the speech overall to be boring but she enjoyed tallying the number of times W winked at people.

I was interested in/amused by the following:

Apparently, we are no longer engaged in a "war on terror". It is mostly an "offensive" and sometimes a "struggle" but it is not a war. (If it was, I would have won earlier).

In another semantic twist, there is no "domestic surrveillance", it is a "terrorist surrveillance program". That's bloody brilliant. Especially the 'program' part. "Officer, I'm wasn't speeding. I'm implementing my Vehicle Alacrity Program. And it's for your own good". The applications are endless.

It was fun when the Dems all stood to applaud when W mentioned the defeat, if you will, of his efforts to reform (destroy) Social Security, mostly because it was about the only chance he had to do any finger wagging. At the end of the day, after all his "mandate, political capital" crap, the "problem" of baby boomers will now be addressed by a bi-partisan commission charged with forging bi-partisan solutions. It sounded a little like he was saying they needed him but you could tell which way the olive branch was being extended.

I stand by my earlier Sam Alito/unmaking America stuff of a few weeks ago and I'm saddened by his confirmation. But the good news is that Smuggy McSmuggerson has to go to work every day knowing that the only justice who blows more than he does (58-42) is Clarence Thomas (52-48). That's something.

God help, I mean, bless, America.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

Great, Now I have to go look up Alacrity.

February 01, 2006 8:00 AM  
Blogger Viola opined...

I was not intending to watch the State of the Union speech, mainly because I've not yet got into US politics (what with being a non-resident alien and not being able to vote); but also because I have an almost allergic aversion to George W. Bush (he's so creepy).

Although we didn't do the competition thing, I watched the speech and enjoyed the post-speech analysis in spite of having to look at the man.

February 02, 2006 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home