Friday, January 27, 2006

Girl Power


The Cantwell event today was a gas. 17 local women, all of whom have made profound contributions to life in Washington state were honored with the first Helen Jackson "Women of Valor" award. Helen was the wife of our late, great senator Scoop Jackson, who's legacy of commitment to justice and the environment is being continued by Maria today. I don't necessarily consider myself a feminist but there was a pretty groovy girl vibe in the room today. 17 amazing community leaders of all ages and races. 2 women senators from Washington. Senator Clinton. Our woman governor calling in to let us know that the civil rights bill had passed. It was rather inspiring. I wish I'd brought The Child after I saw other girls and young women in attendance. Maybe I just like seeing strong women with good haircuts and nice suits.

The event was so well orchestrated that I almost felt like I didn't need to be there. Just walked around the room directing people to tables, mostly. Everyone was in a great mood, the food looked decent and I ran into a woman from church. That was fun. And even though the awards ceremony went long, by the time the VIPs had been directed toward their private reception, there wasn't anything else to do so I got away early. Just enough time to get some balloons for tomorrow's party and the tuna and octopus for the sushi The Spouse is making tonight.

No, I didn't meet Hillary. All that separated us were 10 round tables and some Secret Service guys. But I got a few pictures.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home