Sunday, December 11, 2005

Son of Rant


I am a Christian and I celebrate Christmas. I love Christmas. At the moment it is Advent, which we keep simply, but there are Christmas preparations afoot: cards being written & stamped with a Madonna and Child stamp (purchased from the United States Postal Service), purchasing and making gifts, baking a dozen egg nog mini-bundt cakes for assorted teachers and staff. The Child has an Advent concert at school on Friday and Lessons and Carols at church on Sunday. We are all looking forward to Christmas break.

When I go out shopping this week I will see garlands, lights and trees in all the stores. These decorations will speak Christmas to me because it is Christmastime. Everybody knows it. It's almost Hannukah, too, but I've learned from my Orthodox neighbors that it is a lesser feast in their tradition. While Easter and Passover are equivilent in importance and meaning, Christmas and Hannukah aren't. Except for the candles. But aside from the occassional menorah or monster-sized driedle, the stores are all decorated specifically for Christmas and, as I said, everyone knows it.

In no time at all, it will be Christmas Eve. We'll put up the tree and The Child will place the handkerchief angel on the top like she does every year. There will be the glory of the Vigil Mass, the robed children replicating the angel chorus, the garlands stretching between arches, paroles and ribbons hanging down from the oculus, the thick cloud of incense, all heralding the birth of the Babe born in a manger. The beautiful, song-filled, pine scented twelve days will begin. (The Church figures that if you are going to celebrate something like the incarnation of God you might want to take more than one day to do it).

It's Christmastime in the city, even for those who don't actually believe the Christmas story. Regardless of religious affiliation or lack thereof, this is a time to reflect on the timeless and resonant message of peace on earth, goodwill to all. Every time I make a purchase the clerk will wish me happy holidays. I will wish the same back. Although I might, depending on the circumstance, respond with "Merry Christmas", as that is the feast I celebrate. If I've judged aright, the clerk will smile and return "Merry Christmas".

Let me tell you a story about political correctness. We used to live next door to a very godly, very devout Jewish gentleman, Reb B. He came here as a child, a refugee, having lost nearly all his family in the Holocaust. One year, when Passover and Easter fell in the same week, The Child and I paid a call. His two grandsons, with their wives and children, were in for the holiday, as was the daughter who cared for him in his dotage. We took with us a teething toy as one of the babies was having a particularly rough time of it. We all chatted amiably for maybe 20 minutes. As we took our leave I said, "Have a happy Passover." Reb B smiled up at me from the heart of his family and said, "Happy Easter". He didn't believe that Jesus was the Messiah but he knew I did. In that simple exchange we offered one another grace, not because we had to be PC but out of respect.

The not-so-reverand Jerry Falwell says Christmas is under attack because, among other things, department store windows are bereft of the word "Christmas". Tha't insane. Using the generic "holidays" rather than intolerantly assuming everyone is Christian is not a bad thing. It is polite and respectful. (Sure, it can get a little silly. The big tree in front of the White House, the one all lit up with a star on the top? That's a Christmas tree). But "happy holidays" doesn't diminish Christmas. Being so involved with your stupid "culture war" that you fail to extend the love of Christ to others? That's a problem.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

wow, that was the opposite of what i expected you to say, yet now i think i agree with you. it does seem to be a bigger deal than it needs to be this year. i just don't get why it's suddenly now an issue after we've been following the same constitution for a couple of centuries. i blame george bush.

December 12, 2005 6:42 PM  
Blogger Morris opined...

I think its great that the Christian right is making sure that they dont bend at all and completly push people on the defense. I was listening to focus on the family last night and came to the relization that the Mainstream Christians are the only ones declaring a holy war about store front displays this will only accelerate the general populas's distaste for Christianity. The idea we should form a unified front against walmarts non use of the word christmas is ridiculas when there are bigger issues a foot. I have an idea why doesnt focus on the family actually have commentary that ummm focus's on the family? Sorry if I sound a bit crass I just really like your post and I could swing the other way. Just wait until the left relizes holidays come from Holy days. It will then be PC to say"Happy Days"until the whole Fonz thing rears its ugly head... again. Merry Festivus! lol

December 13, 2005 10:34 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Amen. It's weird to me that people want to force an affiliation between Christmas and stores selling stuff. I mean, stores are interested in our spending more, the more the better. That's remembering to keep the Christ in Christmas? Since when is Wal-Mart a great Christian force?

December 14, 2005 6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home