Monday, December 19, 2005

Field Trip


On my list of Top Ten Things I Most Hate About Being a Mom, field trips is right up there with having my kid puke on me. I've mentioned before that I'm really not all that enamoured of other people's kids and the ones I do like are never the ones assigned to me. I am marked for the satanic combination of drama queens and bullies every time. Or I'll get the kid who says things like, "Mrs. T, why does your car smell funny?" (Probably because I bothered to clean it out for you, you little s*&t). I also really enjoy it when the kids start up a conversation about something like sex or drugs or rock and roll and then ask me to weigh in which assures I'll be put in Dutch with another parent however deftly I answer. ("Mrs. T said WHAT?")

The whole field trip thing makes me sick to my stomach. I hate getting stuck with jerky kids, I hate being worried that I'm going to have an accident with someone else's jerky kid in my car, I hate having to make sure I have my jerky kids with me at all times, therefore impeding my ability to appreciate the art or play or whatever we are out to see in the first place. I also hate being in the position of having The Child around. If I'm not on a field trip I know she will be well behaved, stay with her chaperone and generally be a model citizen. If I'm in charge then I have all her "let's see how far I can push mom" nonesense on top of the other jerky kids. And even if The Child isn't in a testing mode, I'm operating with some sort of hyper-momness that makes me jump at any hint of imperfection because, well, I'm there and I can never quite shake the feeling that I'm being judged. ('Ah,' I imagine The Teacher thinking, 'that explains it...). I'm not a model parent and I'm fine with that most of the time; but it gets fraught with Teacher and other parents watching.

I don't sign up for this gig very often, since I firmly believe that 'no' is a holy word. Actually, I never sign up but I am sometimes persuaded. Sometimes there aren't enough chaperones which would result in the little darlings being denied their off-campus educational excursion unless I agree to go along. Such a scenario has it's gratifications as it usually involves teachers prostrating themselves at my feet and begging. Which somehow mitigates whatever judgements they may hold. ("Yes, she's a sucky parent but she did drive on the field trip to the power station").

The Child recently asked why we don't have a van. I told her that we don't need a big car because we don't have a big family and that my compact is more fuel efficient. The real reason? So I never have to have more than 2 children not my own in my car at anytime.

Anyway, they're going to see "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" today, which would actually be fairly fun (except for the whole in-charge-of-other-people's-kids thing) but I've decided that I have too many Christmas related things I want to do today plus I'm feeling guilty about all the time The Dog spent alone this weekend. So I'm just going to drop off and pick up the little darlings. Which should ease some of the stress. Unless my car smells funny....

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You should mess with them. Instead of cleaning the car, fill the back with empty beer cans. Wear your bathrobe, slippers, hair in curlers, green facial cream, and blacken out some teeth. Yell obscene things at people out the windows. Make a wrong turn and start driving toward an abandoned farm house, ocassionally looking in the rear view mirror and laughing hysterically.

December 19, 2005 12:16 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

That is excellent advice. Now I can't wait for the next field trip!

December 19, 2005 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

MMMM Kiddie Vomit

December 19, 2005 5:50 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Field trips are right up there with the fund-raising drives in which you feel obliged to inflict wrapping paper/cookie dough/candy bars on coworkers and family. I was about to say I would prefer the field trips, but actually I would prefer to just write a check.

December 20, 2005 7:46 AM  
Blogger Dominique opined...

YAY! I know the feeling and as our daughter also goes to Catholic School we do all the driving too. So, when it came to buying a new vehicle I chose a truck with only two doors and nary a one of those weird truck backseats! Three seats only in my vehicle, including the driver. They quit asking me to drive! Good luck!

December 21, 2005 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home