Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Making a List, Checking it Twice


This is the last full day of time alone at home before Christmas break begins. (The Child goes to Catholic school so I get to call it Christmas break. Because we're breaking for Christmas). While I revel in the silence I also have to shake off the vestiges of sloth that still cling and bust a move on my to do list:

1 -Clear my extremely small desk of the pile of ephemera that is occupying half the space. It won't actually take too long to clear it up as most of it is stuff that lives somewhere else but I need to deal with it before it falls on me and hurts me.

2- Pungle some bills and check the Christmas budget. (We learned the word "pungle" on "Sez You" this weekend. It means to "make a payment or contribution of money". I much prefer to pungle a bill than to pay it).

3-Bake 12 individual eggnog bundt cakes for all the teachers and staff at school. (This is actually way less impressive than it sounds as the recipe is predicated on a cake mix and the bundt pan, which makes six cakes at a time, does all the work. Still, at least this year I remembered to do something for everyone who is not paid enough to educate my child. And yes, a check would be nicer but I don't have that kind of dough. Please tell me it's the thought that counts).

4-Work on my book. It's so close to being done and I really don't want to drag it with me into '06. I really don't.

5-Thaw hamburger.

6-Iron.

7-Call my senators to thank them for their votes on Friday against making permanent provisions of the Patriot Act. Must also cheer on Senator Cantwell who is threatening a filibuster on the Defense appropriations bill because of Senator Ted "Am I Screaming Loud Enough for You" Stevens' 11th hour ANWR drilling add-on. What is up with that? If you can't get something passed, tack it onto must-have legislation? I realize both parties do it but shouldn't there be a law to stop that sort of behavior? Like the bucket of oil in ANWR is going to fix anything. Sheesh.

8-Keep The Dog from eating pinecones.

9-Make a booboo face because there isn't a "fresh" episode of "Gilmore girls" until '06.

I was so happy when I woke up this morning and knew I didn't have to drive on a field trip. I am so happy to have my house to myself for one last day. (I will be happy to have The Child and The Spouse home as well but it's a different kind of happy). I'm so happy that I'm going to have some ribbon candy and a cuppa joe while I preheat the Viking (my oven, not The Spouse).

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Curious Servant opined...

The only way to get those add ons out of bills is to grant the president the line-item veto.

Tough one to sell to congress because most feel that sooner or later they will want to lay that game as well.

Ah well...

Merry Christmas!

December 20, 2005 5:32 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Now after that serious comment, I have a frivolous one--I want that eggnog cake recipe. Hand it over, or I'll slip your dog pinecones.

I have to use pungle now. Woa, I'm entering the pungle jungle, where ferocious beasts await, like T-mobile, and student loans. AAAAAGH!

December 21, 2005 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home