Thursday, December 15, 2005

Le Tour Eiffel



Today is the birthday of Gustave Eiffel who designed one of my favorite buildings in the world.

I fell in love with France after spending a short but wonderful week there in 1998. It wasn't a tourist trip...we had gone to celebrate the wedding of an American friend to a Frenchman. We lived with French people, ate with them, drank with them, smoked with them (it was self-defense) and had a fabulous time.

I would love to see more of the country someday and spending real time in Paris is high on my list of things to do. The first time we were only there to change trains. We did get a petite taste of Paris, nonetheless. We rode the Metro accompanied by an accordian player and we got to see the Eiffel Tower. We were on the last leg of our return trip to Paris and as we approached the station The Spouse grabbed my shoulder and said, "Look!" I turned and saw the Eiffel Tower off in the distance and then in a flash we were in the train station. It could not have been more fleeting and yet I saw it and that was enough. So much so that even when I finally get to Paris I don't know that I'll need to actually go to the Eiffel Tower. It would be enough just to be able to see it from my hotel window. It's enough for me now just knowing it's there. I can't imagine that touring it would make me love it more, although I suppose it would be worth the crowds to see the view of Paris from atop it.

Happy birthday, Gustave and thanks for the groovy landmark. And thank you Spouse for making sure I got to see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home