Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Things in Omaha That Made Me Laugh (or Smile or Otherwise Happy)

When I go to Omaha, as I now do at least once a year, the impression that is given is that I go to visit my Poodle. Which is true. Why else would a person go to Omaha, Nebraska for vacation if not for a Poodle? But there is something else I get from it. For me, being in JP's beautiful Old Market loft apartment is like a spa vacation. First of all, JP is just the consummate host. He insists on paying for everything. (Sometimes I force him to let me pay for things but it always involves threatening to create a scene). Second, he's the sort of host who says, "Wake me when you get up". Like, if he were by himself he'd wake up when he freaking wanted to but he doesn't want me to have to fend for myself. (I don't wake him up. I get up and make coffee and he hears me and comes toddling out). Which leads me to #3: he makes sure there is coffee around because he knows I love it; even though he doesn't really drink coffee. (His friend Minogue also knows this about both of us and when she came over she brought a bag of coffee from Scooters, the local beanery). And that parenthetical statement leads me to No. 4, which is that JP has some really nice friends and they are all super nice to me. Actually, they make me feel a little like a local hero.

But most of all, it is a spa vacation because the whole time I am there we do whatever we want. We eat when, where and what we want, drink when and where we want, watch stuff on TV if we want, sit around talking if we want, entertain if we want. There is not a smitch of obligation about the time and it feels languorous and restorative - a total break and the complete opposite of my real life, which is full of obligation and deadline and expectation and responsibility. (Not that there is ultimately anything wrong with that but lordy, a girl needs a break once in a while).

The other thing about being in Omaha is that there is a lot of laughing. And laughing is a very healthy thing.

Miss Smay, holding forth. Always amusing.

The birthday boy received a lot of gifts to ease his transition into his golden years. Like reading glasses and adult diapers.

They were pretty comfy.
They also provided a source of endless amusement for Miss Smay.

Here he is, using a diaper to assist his Lady Gaga impersonation.
Jon (pretty much all JP's friends are required by law to have a name that begins with "J". I was grandfathered in) wasn't any good at the Kung Fu dance on the Wii so he used the controller as a microphone and rocked out instead.

Then we danced.

Minogue, the most photogenic woman in the world. Also one of the sweetest. Provided, that is, she does not receive crappy service in her favorite restaurant. You do not want to be on the receiving end of her ire in that circumstance.
My Poodle...who I love very much.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

This is my favoritest thing you have ever written, for obvious reasons. And also because someone who didn't know me and read this might think I was a somewhat decent person, whether it be true or not.

Omaha misses you, and is anxiously awaiting your next spa visit.

June 16, 2010 3:34 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Muuuah!

June 16, 2010 4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

And I realize now, that it was not just the writing but your photo selection as well that portrayed me as somewhat decent. And Lord knows how many other photos you had to choose from.

Bless you. I'm paying for dinner next time we meet.

June 16, 2010 10:23 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

JP sounds like a very nice, decent man.

June 17, 2010 6:58 AM  
Blogger Molly Alyssum opined...

I love this whole thing. :) Expecially the diaper picture.

June 17, 2010 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

P, L, H & BTs

Sometimes it is best to think of what one will say before saying it so that is why this comment is here and not the previous days.

It would not surprise me at all if both The Child and Super Spouse do the (Snicker, Snicker, Snicker), whenever they see you getting ready for work or coming home from the long day. Am sure I would. I mean cmon now, you just returned from the lifetime trip to D.C., follow it up with a stop off at buddy land in Omaha and expect some sympathy when life returns to normal for you and they have off?

Peace

(Snicker, Snicker, Snicker)

:+}

June 18, 2010 12:38 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Wait!

I just looked at the pictures again.

Nice do!

June 18, 2010 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Minogue opined...

Ok, sweetest? Maybe. Most photogenic? Not sure about that.

I am now armed with my own camera - a Canon Rebel XTi with two, count 'em, TWO lenses - and am also anxiously awaiting your next visit so we can trollup through the cornfields and tip cows.

Hope the Child liked her souvenir. She so deserved it. Hope you've enjoyed your souvenir(s) as well.

And I emailed said favorite restaurant, to no avail. Not happy.

June 18, 2010 3:45 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I kid you not,my word veri is 'ulisess'..No doubt,in honor of your superfantastic oddysey of travelin' fun!

June 18, 2010 11:35 PM  
Blogger heat opined...

How fun of a time was that? Yes, we are all anxiously awaiting another visit. Thanks for dancing with me, fancy feet :-)

June 21, 2010 10:10 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Sounds lovely, Rainey. :)

Friends like your Poodle really make life ever-so-sweet. :) :)

June 21, 2010 8:36 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 25, 2010 9:03 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Great post, great pics--- I had to delete my green with envy post.

June 25, 2010 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home