Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Scrambled Goose Eggs

First of all, let's hear it for the boy! Specifically, The Spouse, who successfully reformatted and tidied up my computer in defiance of the malicious malware. Huzzah, huzzah.

Second, the great Mug Mystery of '08 has been solved. It's amazing what a sleuth can turn up with an invoice and an 800 number. (The mug came from my friend Alameda Fats. Wasn't that nice?)

Moving on, did you realize that today is New Year's Eve? Because I just realized that. Yes, I knew it was coming etc etc etc but all a sudden it is the middle of the week and the end of the year and nearly the beginning of the new year and I all, "What?"

Suffice to say, I haven't taken much time to reflect upon resolutions for the New Year. Not that I necessarily make extensive lists of resolutions; mostly because New Year's is only one of several "new starts" in my year. I always consider my birthday a new year. There's a "new year" ish feeling to the start of any fresh month. The first day of school, even though I'm not the one going, typically calls me to reflect and remember and envision. And it even includes a traditional imbibing.

Point is, I feel like this post should be somewhat profound but all I can think about is the following 3 things:

1) In my dream last night The Spouse gave me a mountain ash tree that was just putting out new leaves. Given the nature of mountain ash trees in springtime mode, this gave the tree the overall appearance of soft, lacy fuzziness and I kept being taken by its beauty while he struggled to plant it just so in front of the new townhouse we'd bought (in the dream). And it wasn't a bad place to live except it was full of someone else's furniture, the bathroom didn't work and the phone was bad because I couldn't hear the buyer at Christie's who was going to make telephone bids on an 18th century console that I really wanted for the house and then we got disconnected.

2) MAB is out of town as of last night and could be gone through the 18th. I'm not nervous about having the whole responsibility of managing the house on my shoulders. I am very sad to think that I might not have occasion for hysterical laughter until the middle of the month. We share an office. Practically speaking it's a demmed good thing that we get along as well as we do. But it is a gift, too. We're starting to finish each other's sentences. I'm really going to miss her. I'm also going to be really busy. I hope nothing major happens while she's gone but if it does it'll look good on my resume. Assuming, you know, that I correctly solve whatever it is.

3) I must go on line and make sure that caviar store hasn't fallen victim to the economy because I gotta get over there today.

Labels: , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

are you having blini with the caviar?

call me if you need to laugh at someone.

December 31, 2008 7:43 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Hurrah for Spouse - I'd renew his contract for another year!

As for the dream - you will just have to get a permanent rep for Christie's - hell if you can afford the new townhouse you can afford that.

Oh Lord, please not the caviar store???

Buon Anno e auguri to everyone chez-vous - damn one sentence 3 langugages I'm becoming cosmopolitan.

December 31, 2008 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Mutual champagn-ya toast at midnight, again? And is that midnight your time, or midnight my time?

Come to think of it, I might not still be awake at midnight your time...

December 31, 2008 8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Yay!!! Happy New Years Eve!!!

Wow, we may have lived through the Bush admin. Still a few more days but less than a month now. Yay!!!

Poor Indian dudes, Spouse will put them out of bus. oh well, grats to him.

Peace, Love, Harmony and Beautiful Thoughts to you and yours.

Peace

:+}

December 31, 2008 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, RAINEY!!!

December 31, 2008 1:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Latkes, Anne. Really good latkes. And thank you for the laugh hotline offer. I'll take you up on that.

Done and done, Wills. And of course the caviar store! You know how I love my caviar store! Happy New Year to you and Laurent, you cosmopolitan thing, you.

JP, I believe the tradition is champagn-ya toast at midnight your time and THEN at midnight my time. Hello? And I'll frakking wake your lazy butt up at midnight my time if I have to, ya slacker.

Anonyba, right? I must say, the closer we get to 1/20/09 the happier I become. Happy New Year to you and the boy!

December 31, 2008 3:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, SILLY HAT SYD!

December 31, 2008 3:37 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama opined...

Happy New Year, friends!

December 31, 2008 4:44 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Happy New year Rainey!..and a happy blogger whiplash to Silly Hat SYD!
More brown liquor please..

December 31, 2008 6:43 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Happy New Year, Rainey! And Huzzah to the Spouse! :)

December 31, 2008 6:48 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Happy New Year....may you be blessed with all that God can give.

January 01, 2009 11:08 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

2009 is gonna be a good year!
Keep the spouse. He does good work.
Weird dream.
Happy new year.

January 01, 2009 12:27 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Happy New Year LOrraine!!! Love you, hope to meet you in real life in 2009

January 01, 2009 9:00 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

You have such elegant dreams.

Happy New Year!!

January 02, 2009 9:21 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

OOooo. I'd love to eat caviar with you.

I was once at a fancy-schmancy dinner party where they served it as an appetizer accompanied by thimble-sized glasses of sub-zero Russian vodka. My god, that was a slice of heaven.

Happy New Year to you! (I just got home from Texas)

January 02, 2009 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home