Friday, August 01, 2008

Coffee Flavored Kisses


Kids, Mama is just plum wrung out and it's only 9:20 and I have so much to do I can't think straight. Nothing like a cup of coffee and some pop music to give me the 10 minutes needed to figure out a game plan.

Among other things I have to go pick up my SIL's ashes, as we're having a memorial service/wake here for her tomorrow. That's going to be weird. The picking up the ashes part. The celebration should be lovely.

Anyburdens, it will not come as a surprise to you that I was a big fan of the Monkees. ("OH!", says JP, "That explains Hannah Montana"). Of course, there was a period there where liking the Monkees was pretty much the most uncool thing you could admit. After all, weren't they "the Pre-Fab Four", 4 guys who answered a casting call and lip synced other folks' songs while fronting" for studio musicians?

No.

Not even the casting call bit. Only one of 'em - Michael, I think, but don't quote me - saw the ad.

Yes, there were session players involved from time to time. Everyone, including the Beatles, used studio people. But Mike and Peter were real musicians. (Davy was actually better on drums but since he was so short he disappeared behind the kit. Mickey learned some basics but in concert someone else took the drums when he had a lead vocal). Yes, they sang other people's songs. Other people sang their songs. (Linda Ronstadt's "Different Drum", for example? Mike wrote that). As they went on they fought for more and more creative control over their work. Because they cared about it. And they all really sang.

Dig me, defending the Monkees. It's not the first time, won't be the last.

Were they a brilliant band? No. But they sure were fun. And their sound still pleases me.

Of course, I had a crush on Davy Jones (who, in his dotage, still looks pretty hot, btw) but I loved Mickey and my favorite Monkee songs are the ones where he sings lead. His voice is just a big bowl of creamy goodness.



The Monkees "Last Train to Clarksville"

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Will be thinking of you three tomorrow during SIL's memorial. Be well...

August 01, 2008 10:29 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

There was a time when it wasn't cool to like the Monkees?..

August 01, 2008 1:40 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 01, 2008 1:40 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

A friend from my youth had three favorite bands: The Replacements, The Monkees and Metallica.

August 01, 2008 1:52 PM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

wow, i was such an impressionable child...the monkees were a t.v. fave for years.

lil' davey jones made me feel more secure about being short. god bless him!

but then peter made me very partial to tall, skinny boys.

hm, they could sing?

August 01, 2008 3:05 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, SCG!

Believe it or not, Sling. I believe it began shortly after 1967, the year they sold more records than the Stones and Beatles combined.

BA: I'm down with 2 out of those 3.

Oh, Danny, you really are a ho-ar. (Ok, people, do we actually have a universal, accepted spelling for that? JP?)

August 01, 2008 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Hmm, ok monkees are cool.

Peace, love, harmony and beautiful thoughts to you yours and hers.

Peace

:+}

August 01, 2008 4:45 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

Ha! I'm with Sling. Valerie is one of the most underrated jukebox tunes. Probably because it's only on about three jukeboxes.

It oughta be on more.

Here. Take all my extra peace and love for tomorrow.

August 01, 2008 6:19 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Anonyba, ain't they just? Peace back to you and his.

Booda, that's so kind...sure you can spare it? Hugs.

August 01, 2008 7:46 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

I'm sorry I am late to the posting, but my thoughts are with you all belatedly.

I can't tell you the number of times I have stood at my sink singing "Pleasant Valley Sunday". That becomes slightly scarier from a former opera singer.

August 03, 2008 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home