Thursday, November 08, 2007

Volleyball and Pie

I am not at a PTA meeting this morning. This is me, being light of heart.

There are also merits to taking the high road. The Child had a volleyball game last night and many of the parents are the same ones who were being ridiculous on the weekend. I am happy to report that everyone was absolutely lovely to each other, laughing and joking and cheering for our kids like we always do. Maybe even more than we usually do. It was terrific.

The game? They went in with an undefeated record. Not so much now. However, it bears noting that after being smashed in the first game they came back and won the 2nd game 25-9. The Child was responsible for about 6 of those points, including her first ever spike at the net. It was a little piff of a thing but it surprised the frak out of the opposing team. And Bad Coach. And the snotty Princess. And The Child. Tee.

The girls started out with a 6 point lead in the 3rd game and then it went back and forth. Sadly, they lost, but they made the other team work for it, with a final score of 27-25. Hardly a drubbing. And for the record, our girls, who are 13 and 14, are "playing up", which means they have been facing high school sophomores and juniors all season. They so rock.

The Child still hates Bad Coach, who is still a Bad Coach and an idiot. But she told me last night that she wants to play CYO in the spring, even if he's the coach. (I continue to work behind the scenes to see to it that we have a good coach in the spring. I didn't engender all this political clout in my years on PTA for nuthin'. I know people. I'm going to work that like a mule in a field).

Meanwhile, parents are begging me to reconsider sending The Child to DC. Some of the folks that were such jerks at the rummage sale are even asking the head guy to credit their take to The Child's account. How do I feel about that? I'm not sure. On one hand, if I can send her without doing anymore fundraising and without paying for it myself, that would be a good thing. On the other, I'm still not sure, given a whole lot of stuff, whether this is really the group of kids with whom I want her spending a week in DC. I'm going to think and pray on it and talk to The Principal and see where that takes me. It'll take a very large and bright shiny sign to change my mind. Not to mention, Hat and I are seriously thinking that taking Rosie up on her suggestion of a road trip, with The Child, to Sandpoint in May. That sounds delicious. Almost delicious as pie. But not mincemeat.

About Mincemeat

Way back in the day, when there wasn't refrigeration and like that there, folks came up with a groovy idea for dealing with leftover meat that had begun to turn They chopped it up super fine, mixed it with strong liquors, dried fruits and other masking agents, popped it in a pastry and said, "Yum". Then they all died of food poisoning. But somehow the idea lived on.

Down the culinary road a pace, someone figured out that instead of rancid meat they should use fruit, like apples and green tomatoes. That's the sort of thing you find in most prepared jars of mincemeat today. But recipes I found for making the stuff from scratch very often still include some meat and suet. Personally, anything that calls for suet is a non-starter for me. Eeeww.

Anypie, many years ago I was on staff in the Continuing Education office at my alma mater. My boss was a charming, elegant man of refined tastes. The sort of gentleman you could picture in a smoking jacket, having a snifter of brandy in the parlour while his equally elegant and refined wife played a little Chopin on the baby grand. One Christmas he hosted a dinner party in his equisitely appointed home for the entire staff. A long table was set with a crisp white cloth, English bone china and gleaming silver candlesticks. The meal, which he and his wife had prepared, was a sumptuous event with many courses. We started with Oysters Rockefeller and, I think, champagne (the school was by mandate a tea total sort of place but that did not apply to the lifestyles of many players off campus) and ended with pie.

Mincemeat pie. Very lovely looking pie, flakey and perfectly browned crust from which oozed luxurious mincemeat. 'Cept, it was traditional mincemeat. As in beef. As in beef with sugar and apples and raisins. You know what? You cannot douse beef with enough brandy to make someone forget that they are eating sugared meat.

I love sweet and savory combinations. But there are limits. Would you put hard sauce on a burrito? Whipped cream on turkey? No. Meat is not a dessert. There. I said it.

I must away. I shall leave you with this, a little sumpin sumpin found recently while reading about pie. It made me laugh.

From Epulario (The Italian Banquet), published in 1598. The English translation:

To Make Pie That the Birds May Be Alive In them and Flie Out When It Is Cut Up

Make the coffin of a great pie or pastry, in the bottome thereof make a hole as big as your fist, or bigger if you will, let the sides of the coffin bee somwhat higher then ordinary pies, which done put it full of flower and bake it, and being baked, open the hole in the bottome, and take out the flower. Then having a pie of the bigness of the hole in the bottome of the coffin aforesaid, you shal put it into the coffin, withall put into the said coffin round about the aforesaid pie as many small live birds as the empty coffin will hold, besides the pie aforesaid. And this is to be at such time as you send the pie to the table, and set before the guests: where uncovering or cutting up the lid of the great pie, all the birds will flie out, which is to delight and pleasure shew to the company. And because they shall not bee altogether mocked, you shall cut open the small pie, and in this sort you may make many others, the like you may do with a tart.

Labels: , , ,

32 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

So, I inspired a whole post on mincemeat, she says beaming. I'm so homoured.

November 08, 2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Honoured.

If my fingers could spell.

November 08, 2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger Nunnie's Attic opined...

Ok well congratulations to The Child for a good year!

Did you not think of the Friends episode where Rachael made a trifle with lady fingers and fruit and ground beef sauteed with peas and onions? Tastes like feet.

Ah to make a coffin of a great pastry thereof... great literary works at hand (the size of your fist.)

Love,
Julie

November 08, 2007 10:38 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

No we will not reconsider and further I was thinking about it and she needs to return the money earned on the rummage sale to the general cause because if she keeps it it will be under false pretenses

November 08, 2007 10:50 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

No worries, honey. I'm turning it in today and I agree. As The wise Hat put it, "The knot in your stomach went away the second you made the decision. Trust that". Or maybe she said something about pie. I forget. Either way, she's right and you're right and we'd rather go see Rosie anyhoodles.

November 08, 2007 11:44 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, Anne. "You're the meaning in my life, you're my inspiration"...

Julie, LOL! I remember that!

November 08, 2007 11:45 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Let's not go that far.

Is the cherry pie cool yet, I'd love a slice now. No ice cream, thanks.

November 08, 2007 11:50 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

But Anne, I like singing Chicago songs to my readers while I serve them cherry pie without ice cream. Coffee or tea?

November 08, 2007 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I love when you and The Spouse have conversations on your blog because then I can feel like I'm still there.

I've never spiked a volleyball, or scored 6 points at any team sport in my life. Proud again.

November 08, 2007 12:07 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Any post about pie is good by me. I agree, more or less, about sugared meat, but with a few exceptions. Orange chicken at my favorite chinese restaurant, turkey with cranberry relish rocks, sauerbraten with some yummy gingersnap cookies added to the cooking pot. Mmmmm, I guess I like sweet with my meat after all (takes a bite of pepperoni and pineapple pizza).

November 08, 2007 12:13 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

KA-You make an excellent point. I for one am down with all those treats you mentioned. And yet, a sweet sauce with meat is one thing. Cookies cooked down to add spicy goodness to meat is as well. I am also a fan of a pure meat pie. But meat pie masquerading as the pudding? Nope.

November 08, 2007 12:16 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP: You've got the picture in your mirror to prove it.

November 08, 2007 12:16 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Congrats to the Child on her spike and their comeback win - that had to feel awesome for her. And meat in pies just makes me shudder. Not to mention birds. Because birds leave something behind that should never ever be included in a pie.

November 08, 2007 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Holy mother of pearl, Eric and I agreed on something? heh heh. I keeed. Hi Eric! See you at Christmas! Where I will bedazzle all y'all with my pie eating abilities.
(much to the delight and pleasure shew to the company)

November 08, 2007 12:41 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I've never had a mincemeat pie, but mince pie is my absolute favorite. Every Christmas, it was a family tradition that my uncle and I would have a mince pie for the two of us. But he's dead now.

Back in the sixties, my mom once made "chicken a l'orange" by rubbing Cornish game hens with Tang (Instant breakfast drink). Hence, I learned to cook.

November 08, 2007 12:45 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

I like the fake mincemeat. But only if there's no pumpkin or banana cream (the good kind, not the southern kind with nutmeg, sorry, and not the cheap kind) or apple or apple-rhubarb or cherry or blueberry even if it has a difficult aftertaste. Or lemon meringue. Or cheesecake. Does cheesecake count as pie?

You know, Santa Barbara makes a nice road trip, too.

November 08, 2007 12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Buck - I'm with you - I LOVE mince pie and I even have a jar in my cupboard. I will make us one for Thanksgiving and we can hoard it all to ourselves!

xo nayb

November 08, 2007 1:00 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Well done to the child! And well done for you to be able to lighten your heart and just move along.. I went down a very similar (nearly identical- odd, eh??) path about this time last year. Just stepping back and taking stock of where you are going at how your energy is being invested can be a real revelation.

Actually it occurred to me today that perhaps I'm overdue for that particular 12 point psychic check up right now.

And no offense to the Mince fans out there- but ewww.... can't even stand to smell it cooking.

November 08, 2007 1:22 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

My mom made traditional mincemeat pies every Thanksgiving and Christmas and they smelled so good and tasted so like a bad 4 letter word. My dad loved them.

Oh, please, please come and visit. May is OK I was just thinking a bit sooner but May is beautifully delish....blooms all over the place, wild violets, baby deer and the swallows are nesting under the little balcony. You loved Chicago I know but you will all...the child, Angela and even the spouse should he need a break... not only love Sandpoint, you will want to meld into the earth and grow here. We have a big room to spread out in, a futon in the laundry room for the child and a big bed in the snorage room (warning the litter boxes reside there too). Room for everyone. Start planning now...look at dates and that way I have something wonderful to look forward to all winter long. AND, you will get to meet Gina too!!! Talk to HAT...I'm OK and not a serial killer yet.

November 08, 2007 1:48 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Nayb - Mince pies. Just another thing I knew I liked about you.
We, indeed, have a date for pie. No one else can have any.

November 08, 2007 2:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Of course, Cowbell, meat of all sorts make you shudder. But still.

Hat, perhaps we should have a pie eating contest as part of the games on Christmas night...

Buck, I had a grandmother who made Beef Bourguignon with Pepsi. Because she didn't drink.

See that there, Booda? In the pantheon of pies, one would have to be ever so desperate to eat mince. And there would, I dare say, need to be large quantities of whipping cream involved.

And yes, I've heard that about Santa Barbara...

You are a very nice person, Neighb. Possessed of questionable tastes, but very nice.

Doralong, come sit over here with the non-mince folks. Anne finished off the cherry pie but this peach one looks to die for.

Baby deer???? We're so coming, Ro.

No one else is going to want any, Buck.

November 08, 2007 2:33 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

singing is fine, tea, thanks, I like singing, sugar, no milk, thanks.

November 08, 2007 3:31 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Good for the child and good for you!

mincemeat ekkk

November 08, 2007 4:21 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

6 of 9 points for The Child?..
That's 2/3'ds..That's 66.66+ percent!..(I like extrapolating for effect)..That's AWESOME!!..
Plus!..Nice segue into the mince meat pie thingy.Don't you just love the way they talked back when I was young?
I have never had mince meat pie,but I did mix sweet peas with fruit cocktail one time when the pickin's were slim..It was pretty good.

November 08, 2007 6:06 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

...and Anne's lyrical comment just before mine..That's poetry right there!

November 08, 2007 6:14 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Poetry? thank, sling.

Good tea, great pie, you make the crust or is that one of those crusts that you unfold and bake?

I'mp wif Kimberwe, excuse me for talking with my mouth full, about the orange chicken, sweet meat is ok, but meat sweets isn't.

November 08, 2007 6:36 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I can't believe that in 26 comments no one riffed off of "Meat is not Dessert."

Am I the only sexually frustrated person here??!

November 08, 2007 7:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Mouse, one of the other reasons I like you so much...

Sling o' my heart, love the math...points out a flaw on my part. 6 points for sure over the course of the match. But considering that she is rarely on the court all night and has smarmy princess girl playing up on her all the time etc. etc. etc....it's still pretty good. And that spike? Damn.

And Anne is a poet and don't know it. Tee.

Anne, truth be told, I am all on board with the unfold and bake crust. Trader Joe's has an EXCELLENT one. But I also make killer flakey fabulous crust from scratch. Merely depends on the time and inclination thing.

You know, Red, I too thought that was one of the better lines in that post and was equally dismayed that no one noticed. Although, obviously, the reference to meat was to actual meat. Off an animal. For human consumption. So, yeah, looks like you might be the only one who read it that way. Unless the Hat did. She's in heat, you know.

November 08, 2007 7:56 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Oh shit,oh dear..That was my bad math 'Rainey..I misread that The Child's team got 9 points...all those tiny letters..anyway..
6 out of 25!..That's umm...6/25ths..That's practically 25 percent...AWESOME!..I'll shut up now.

November 08, 2007 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

It's true. I am in heat.
(head hang of shame)

November 08, 2007 10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

My mom occasionally made traditional mincemeat for the holidays, and then made pies out of it...scrumptious pies. I'm willing to accept, however, that it's an acquired taste.

Sort of like fried okra. ;)

p.s. congrats to The Child re: the sporting endeavors, and applause for Doing The Right Thing!

November 09, 2007 1:07 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

(Hat, there's no shame in being in heat - chin up! I'm sure that's what led to the spankery over at
Rosemary's place this morning.)

November 09, 2007 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home