Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Resigning from Things

I got an email yesterday from Seattle Coffee Girl, which apropos of nothing, asked where I was on the liturgy book I finished writing a whole way long time ago. Hi. That would be one of the more classic examples of how out of whack my priorities have gotten. I haven't done a lick on it, even though there are only about 3 chapters left to edit. I haven't even thought about presses that might be interested in such a thing. (SCG, in her inimitable style, sent me links to about half a dozen this morning, including submission guidelines).

The point is, that things like book projects and building my business and general attentiveness to my family have all been swamped by meetings and fundraising and other obligations that have absolutely no bearing, at all, on anything to which I am truly committed. I've hinted at all this recently and was working my way out of it but this weekend it all came to a head.

I'll spare you the details because, well, frankly I know how you are. You'll get all outraged on my behalf and pledge to form arse kicking squads and all that. Which is always nice but I'm over the anger and don't need to feed into it anymore. Suffice to say that the frickety frakkety rummage sale was an even bigger waste of time and emotional energy than expected. Also, for the record, sometimes other people are soooooo stoopid.

By the time it was all over I sat, looked at my life and said, "Whoa, Nelly".

My poor, bedraggled little priorities are sitting huddled in a corner, begging for a crust of bread. They kinda look like the waif children that the Ghost of Christmas Future pulls out of his cloak when he's messing with Ebenezer Scrooge's weak mind. My priorities need to be given a nice hot bath, pulled up to the table and fed a warm, nutritious meal. I think fried okra and applesauce cake should be involved.

I'm usually the sort of person who is very clear about my limits and not afraid to say "no". I'm also usually pretty good at listening to my instincts. But once in a while I'll talk myself out of or into something because the instinct itself doesn't make immediate sense. Let me tell you, in the course of my life, there has never been a time when my gut feeling about something was wrong. Nev. Er. It doesn't matter if it doesn't compute at the time, I should trust it.

After this weekend I was more sure than ever that the rut I was in owed in large part to being over committed to things outside my passion and enough was enough. So.

A) I resigned from the PTA board. I loved working with the other board members and feel really good about what we accomplished. But I was beginning to get sucked into the inevitable politics of being in a leadership role. When the nitpicking starts to matter (and I should stress that the nitpicking was coming from outside the group), when I find myself getting stressed about things I can't do anything about, that's a good sign that I've been at something too long. I wanted to get out before I burned out because I love love love The Child's school and want to be able to continue being a booster.

2) We decided that The Child is not going to go to DC in the spring. There are a ton of reasons, any one of which is cause enough. But primarily, the fundraising is taking way way way too much time...time that she needs to be spending on the tours/exams/application process involved with high school. And, because of the way the fundraising is going, I've become really concerned that after all this time and effort the parents are still going to be on the hook for a portion of the costs. Her trip to France this summer is far more important than spending a week in DC with a bunch of princesses and little kings in the company of their over-protective and insular parents. (Did I say that out loud? Oops). I love the east coast and would like her first trip back there to be full of fun and adventure...like mine was. That trustworthy gut of mine tells me that this particular trip would be anything but.

And how's she doing with all this? At first she was hesitant about the finality of the decision. (We had discussed the possibility but that's not the same). Golly, she is such a game kid...up for anything, even if it means that she's going to be surrounded by poo-heads. She had good questions and offered suggestions, though never actually pleading to still go on the trip. Then I suggested that perhaps we can arrange for The Godmom to schedule their trip to southern California (read, Disneyland) during that week. Or that maybe she and P can do something special while the other kids are gone.

Who is P, you ask?

That would be the other kid in the class whose family has decided that the Bravo Sierra around this trip wasn't worth it and pulled out earlier than we did.

Anyway, as soon as she realized that there were other opportunities for adventure besides DC she was downright jiggy with it. It was never about the specifics for her and all about the thrill of going and doing.

And moi? I am so lighthearted today that I've had to lash myself to my chair in order to write this post. In fact, I feel a song coming on:




Jimmy Cliff "I Can See Clearly Now"

Labels: , ,

37 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

You mean like this?

Funny Picture

Stupid blogger comments wont allow image tags

November 06, 2007 10:48 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes. Poor, bedraggled and downtrodden little priorities.

You make me laugh, honey.

November 06, 2007 10:50 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I can hear your sigh from here, yay, you!

and. like this part matters a lot.

I'm so impressed you know the army alphabet.

November 06, 2007 10:51 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

We'll get ourselves to DC one day, Anne. And when we do, we're looking y'all up.

And I don't know where I get that army stuff. My dad was a Marine. Semper Fi!

November 06, 2007 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

But I LIKE to get all outraged and form arse-kicking squads. Don't take that away from me.

If you were me and I was you I'd totally give you the details, wouldn't I?

Yes, I would. Spill.

November 06, 2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I think this calls for Pink Squirrels for you, me and the Nayb.

Hat, can you come down and help us celebrate?

WOOOO to the HOOOO!

November 06, 2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP, I'll call you tonight.

SCG, yum and yum again.

November 06, 2007 12:09 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

Oh yes, the France trip is much more important. I have big things planned. (I didn't say that with my witch voice. I swear.)

November 06, 2007 12:15 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Nic, A) I know you are a good witch and 2) as we were talking about it The Child did that scale thing with her hands and DC tumbled out of its pan while France shot up to the ceiling. Pretty much a no brainer.

November 06, 2007 12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Fistly, that was one of thee best posts you have ever written and
B: "I'm over the anger and don't need to feed into it anymore" you are so mature. Do you get nose bleeds from that high high high road you are taking?
And finally:
(Hat packs a bag to come up for Pink Squirrel celebrationy things)

November 06, 2007 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Fistly?
hah hah!
That was my Freudian rage slipping out.
I meant 'firstly'. tee

November 06, 2007 12:39 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Really, Hat? Golly, you are easily impressed. I mean, thanks.

No nose bleeds...just a little altitude sickness. I'm sure I'll become accustomed to it.

Please adjust your Freudian slip and come on down.

November 06, 2007 12:42 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

No is a very empowering word..

And the ability to step back and realign priorities is the only way to keep your sanity.

November 06, 2007 1:18 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dig me, Doralong, all full of "no" and sane. It feels awe to the some.

November 06, 2007 1:19 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Three cheers for resigning! Hip, hip hooray!

November 06, 2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

A toast to the big quitter!

November 06, 2007 1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Congrats on the re-establishing of priorities! 'Tis always a good thing, but it's amazing how easy it is to let slide.

But please, Lorraine...not the fried okra! Not THAT!!! (As you may have deduced, I have a History with fried okra. It isn't pretty.)

November 06, 2007 2:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thank you, Syd. And I'm sorry, but the poor little priorities loooove fried okra. I make really, really good fried okra. Really.

November 06, 2007 2:53 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Forget DC....here is what you need to do. Pack up the kid, go pick up Hat, drive over to Sandpoint...it can be done in a day easily and park your butts in my beautiful downstairs and laze for a long weekend before the snow flies....it is so beautiful here. You can sleep in, hike, walk, do whatever your little sweet hearts desire. I can't cook but I do clean up really well....well whadda you think???

November 06, 2007 3:53 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I think, Rosie, that the only thing more clever than your Hatty daughter is her mumsie. I bet Sandpoint is lovely in May. Conversations shall ensue.

November 06, 2007 8:39 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

You clearly know the difference between resigning,and prioritizing.
Personally,I think a trip to "The C.
Continent" should take priority over a trip within the colonies.At least at this stage of The Child's life,even though a passport will be required for both soon enough.But,as usual,I digress.
Anybesides..I admire your ability to supress your hostility,and channel it into more positive,and socially acceptable standards of behavior.
As for me,I want to break someone..er..something.

November 06, 2007 9:32 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 06, 2007 9:32 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 06, 2007 9:32 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 06, 2007 9:36 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 06, 2007 9:36 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

...so I decided to break my previous record of deleted comments

November 06, 2007 9:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ya were hittin' the "publish your comment" button a little hard there for a while, weren'tcha, Pookie?

It's ok. It makes me feel special.

And thanks for the support. And, you know, the willingness to break things on our behalf. I like knowing you have our back.

November 06, 2007 10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Yum. Part corn meal, part flour, a little salt, sliced okra dropped in and shaken till dusty and covered, and into the hot frying pan... Crisp deliciousness. Served with pickled cucumbers, fresh sliced tomatoes, blackeyed peas, and corn bread. I am drooling now.

quitting is good. All hail the quitter!

November 07, 2007 4:19 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

You have Okra way out there?? Wow, there is civilization indeed..

November 07, 2007 5:37 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Exactly, Tater. And what is not to like about that, I ask you? Although I serve mine with a tomato marmelade. Your way sounds yummers, too.

Doralong, well...fresh is super impossible to find...I'm pretty sure no one actually grows it here, certainly not on a large scale. So if it appears it is in a smaller time window even than figs. I rely on frozen.

I know. I know.

Does the fact that I also enjoy grits help?

November 07, 2007 6:32 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

I knew you were a woman of impeccable taste.

November 07, 2007 7:16 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, D, quite the genteel Southern woman. Except for the fact that I'm not from the South and actually haven't ever even been to the South and only ever to Texas (twice), which I do not consider to be the South so much as it's own incredibly bizarre region.

November 07, 2007 7:30 AM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

oh i love that song. oh and the memories of going to see "cool runnings"... one of the best bad movies ever.

November 07, 2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Such a happy tune, Monica. And this is my favorite version evah.

November 07, 2007 3:46 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I totally understand where your coming from and my aforementioned commenting is from my new computer network at the "shop" which has just recently gained internet access...

November 07, 2007 9:41 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish! How's the shop going, anyway?

November 08, 2007 6:57 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Was just reading through posts that I missed and seen your question. :)

The shop has taken alot out of me and the wife thus far and we haven't even opened to the public yet. It's difficult juggling everything and then there's legal stuff and then there's that nagging devil telling you your going to fail but we're opening next week regardless..lol

You ventured much further into your business idea yet?

November 14, 2007 1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home