Monday, November 05, 2007

Tis the Season

I'll be the first to admit that I absolutely abhor the fact that Christmas advertising starts before Halloween. I hate going into stores before Thanksgiving and seeing all the trappings of the season yet to come. There was a big inflatable Santa in front of a UPS store this morning and I so wanted to pop it.

But that said, I am so getting into the holiday spirit. I'm very excited for Thanksgiving this year, especially because we're going to be joined by the lovely and vivacious Buck. For the last 15 plus years we've spent the holiday with my family but that tradition is changing (owing a lot to the fact that The Spouse has to work on the Friday after Thanksgiving and it's really become a stressor to try and rush down to the folks and then rush back. Hi, have you ever been in holiday traffic?) We'll miss the fam but it's going to be awesome to start our own tradition in this regard. Buck being with us is going to make it that much more special.

And, while we aren't going full bore on the Christmas thing, what with wanting to celebrate Thanksgiving and Advent first, thankyouverymuch, there are little plans afoot: settling on the menu and inviting guests and thinking about what sorts of gifties we'd like to shower on those in attendance (including The Hat...oh, the joy of family holidays frosted with Blogtopian goodness...we're so lucky).

But the holiday season is, for good and for ill, most definitely upon us and the magic of this time is palpable. There is much giddiness and delight in the family these days for lo, the best and most magical of holiday celebrations begins this Friday.

"What?," says you? "I'm looking at my calendar and see nothing. Unless you people get giddy about Veteran's Day?"

No, gentle and silly reader, not Veteran's Day...although who doesn't love a nice three day weekend? No, the feast of which I speak, the celebration which is getting us revved up is none other than the sacred and much adored celebration of Iwanskifest. Yes. On Friday we will receive our box o' gout from Tastes of Chicago and embark on a four day frenzy of eating in honor of our personal hero, John Iwanski.

This year is even more anticipated than last year. It is not unlike, I'm sure, how someone would feel who had always celebrated Christmas but never believed in Jesus. A nice enough holiday but missing some essence. And then that person becomes a believer and suddenly Christmas is more than tinsel and presents. Last year we celebrate Iwanskifest because it seemed like a good excuse for a party. But now, having actually met the man and been in his presence, it will be so much more meaningful.

Plus this year The Neighbor will actually be in town so she'll be able to join us if she wishes. Good times.

Now I must away to finish preparations. There is the Iwanski calendar to create and garlands of beer cans to string. Busy busy.

Oh, and sorry I'm so late posting, for those of you who have your deadlines. I was busy spending the morning resigning from things.

Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Being one of those who adores Christmas but not the religiousy ooky stuff that goes with it - I must say that a good ol' fayshun holiday Mass will no doubt overwhelm me into conversion. Baby Jesus help us ALL is that happens! Happy Gout!

November 05, 2007 12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Is that happens? Is? pft

November 05, 2007 12:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Baby Jesus will still love you even if you just come for the pie.

tee.

November 05, 2007 12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Can you really get gout from a box? That's kind of scary. Plus, it makes me wonder what other medical conditions you can get from a --

I'll stop there. That's SO not where I was meaning to go with this.

November 05, 2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I am still getting over Easter....it's going to be Christmas soon? Crap.

November 05, 2007 2:45 PM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Bring out the Goutfest!

I'm curious about your last sentence, please explain "resigning from things."

November 05, 2007 3:05 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It takes a wise man to know when to stop. "Wise man". Get it? Another Christmas joke. I'm so full of holiday spirit.

Rosie, you'll feel much better if you devote the 9th-12th eating deep dish pizza, ribs, Chicago style hot dogs and cheesecake. Trust me.

SCG: Remember to tell Bear that if he is a very good boy, the Great Iwanski and his helper Miss Healthypants will leave celery sticks and mineral water in his stocking.

And the things will probably be tomorrow's blog post. Gotta keep ya coming back for more, right?

November 05, 2007 3:16 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Pack of agnostic heathens that we are 'tis simply known as "Da Holidays"..

From Turkey Day on it pretty much tends to be an eat, drink and have as many friends as possible drop in fest. Yes, we are pretty well beyond redemption.

As to gifties, the kids get the haul, the Beast and I get a few tokens under the tree and we splurge on something large the house needs. The house got a new dishwasher last year- how lucky! And this year the house needs new office furniture for Dora's lovely redone office space. Which shall indeed be arriving early.

It's fair, the beast got swell new flooring for his office for Memorial Day after all.

November 05, 2007 3:19 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

I'm sure Martha Stewart has a lovely little article on stringing empty beer cans into festive garlands.

November 05, 2007 3:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Doralong, may "da holidays" be merry and bright. My house is jealous of your house and is now asking for new bathroom tile for Christmas.

Kimberly Ann, I am quite sure she does, LOL!

November 05, 2007 3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Hmmm...resigning from things...
gosh, I'm all in a tither now! Are you resigning from...NO! You would never resign from...however...but what HAPPENED?!?! OOOHHHH!!! I bet you resigned from...NO you wouldn't, would you? Pins and needles, I am so on pins and needles! It's like one of those shows that leaves you hanging until the next week! *sigh*
Ok, so I may be over reacting just a titch...thats just me, though drama, drama, drama
hahahahahahahahaa...hmmmmmm

November 05, 2007 4:21 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MN Fan, in the wake of the writer's strike, this is my little way of keeping you supplied with an adequate dose of suspense and drama. "Tomorrow on 'Days of Our Thing'..."

November 05, 2007 4:39 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Oh don't you just know I love the holidays!.I can't wait to get all maudlin and sentimental on my blog during this most wonderful time of the year...I hope you're not resigning as my press secretary...
Where did I put Allison Janney's phone number?..

November 05, 2007 6:27 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Buck is VERY exciting over this year's Thanksgiving plans.

However, Buck's mom is mad at you.

November 05, 2007 7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Lorraine, you are too funny!! *smiles*

I know I don't comment often, but I do read your blog entries, and always enjoy them!!

Thanks for celebrating the wonderful Iwanskifest holiday...and good gout to you! :)

Love,

MHP :)

November 05, 2007 7:24 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, absolutely NOT. Tell that biatch Allison to back the h-e-double hockey sticks off...promoting the Sling/Iwanski ticket is my absolute number one priority.

Ok, it's like number 6. But still. Ali better back off.

Buck, ooh, the wrath of the Buck Mom. I can deal.

Love you, MHP. Oh and btw, when we were talking about the festival the other night I said something about the Great Iwanski and his helper and The Child fixed me with a look, cleared her throat with great meaning and said, "Uh, hello? AUNT Healthypants".

November 05, 2007 9:20 PM  
Blogger Nunnie's Attic opined...

"It is not unlike, I'm sure, how someone would feel who had always celebrated Christmas but never believed in Jesus. A nice enough holiday but missing some essence." I love that! Midnight mass is such an important part of our celebration. I can't imagine Christmas without it. But, I know what I'm celebrating and "Santa" isn't it.

Love,
Julie

November 06, 2007 3:43 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

I remember the iwanski fest from last year!!! yes, now you have met him and you have been to chicago to taste the treats here... I cant wait to see how this year's celebration goes.

November 06, 2007 6:11 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Julie...ah, Midnight Mass...we haven't been in years...not since I was preggers with The Child. Our parish church also happens to be the cathedral church of the archdioses...long waits on line for limited seating...not very festive.

We go to the Children's Mass on Christmas Eve...only have to get there 2 hours early for that one! But The Spouse and I usually watch Midnight Mass on TV...if for no other reason than to hear "Adeste Fideles".

November 06, 2007 6:34 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Exactly, Mouse. It's going to be a much richer celebration. Plus, I think I still have our CTA tickets. They'd make a superfantastic wreath, no?

November 06, 2007 6:35 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

(I just love it when the mn fan stops in for some posting. It's so different around here now that mn fan is commenting!)

November 06, 2007 9:25 AM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Blazes! I missed this one.

I hope you have a joyous time.
I am as honored today as the first time I heard of the notion of Iwanskifest.

Meanwhile, here in Chicago, the actual Iwanski is suffering while Miss Healthypants chases him around with a broom and forces him to eat salad.

November 07, 2007 2:49 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

SCG: I know! Don'tcha just love her?

No, sir, the honor is ours. And for the record, we are traditionalists. If there is ever a progressive movement to turn Iwanskifest into some sort of kashi & salad eatin', mineral water swillin' ghost of itself there will be hell to pay and you can tell MHP that for me!

November 07, 2007 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home