Friday, January 12, 2007

Bearer of Glad Tidings

It was the standard routine. The Spouse kissed me goodbye, then kissed The Dog, whispering softly into his shaggy ears, "I'll miss you most of all". (Yes. He really says that. Right in front of me). As the door closed behind him my alarm went off. The Dog had started to lick my nose so it was easier than usual to rise right away and besides, it's grocery day and I haven't planned a menu yet.

Here was the plan: have some coffee, plan the menu and make the grocery list, rouse The Child, leave the house by 7:30 to pick up a classmate in order to get to school by 8 in order to get to coffee by 8:30, assuming certain road conditions or what-have-you. Because I've been late for coffee the last few weeks and that's not good.

Then I noticed that there's still a bit of snow on the ground and the temperature had dropped significantly last night. Best check the news because school might have a late start and there's certainly no way I'm going to rush around and force The Child to hustle out of bed if we don't have to be there until 10.

The ticker on the morning news was just getting to King County private schools when I turned on the TV. There was a long list of "Our Lady ofs" before the saints started. But there was a clear trend: hardly anyone was starting late. And then St. G flashed on: school closed. Just like all the other iced over private schools. Closed, closed, closed! Another snow day!

I would make a terrible school principal.

The Child went to bed assuming there would be school, thus she will be sleeping for several more hours. When she stumbles out with a wondering expression I'll be able to tell her the superfantastic news. And since she's caught up on her home work and since it's a 3 day weekend anyway because of Martin Luther King Day, she now has 4 days stretched before her. And snow is involved.

This so rocks.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger jLow opined...

Maaannnn - we don't ever get no friggin snow days down here.

This so sucks.

But y'all have a WONDERFUL 4 day weekend!!

January 12, 2007 6:47 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

I'm tempted to say 'cool', but that would be asking for trouble.

It's funny, but I grew up in the Middle East, where we had 'rain days'. The heavens used to burst open only two, maybe three times a year. The whole infrastructure of the country (the roads, the drains etc) was totally unequipped to deal with large amount of water. So, invariably, two hours of rain meant: flooded roads, inaccessible parts of town... AND... CLOSED SCHOOLS!!!

Ahh... happy days...

January 12, 2007 6:58 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

As I had asplained to you, I tell him that every morning to make him feel special.

January 12, 2007 7:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Lucky duckie! Despite the insanely cold temps here, schools are open. Snow days are few and far between here.

January 12, 2007 7:54 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I'm so excited for The Child to have an unexpected snow day...how cool is this! Let's hope this elevates your status a few notches with her...

FUN!

Are you still coffee-ing with your gals? Happy grocery shopping! Oooh, must remember to send you my family's recipe for spaghetti sauce (which I'm going to make this week). Dontchya just know it has chile powder in it. Don't tell the Italians what New Mexicans do with their food!

January 12, 2007 8:00 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I don't think there is a more joyful phrase to a child than "Snow Day." That should have been the name of my blog, come to think of it.

January 12, 2007 8:46 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I miss snow days!

January 12, 2007 9:42 AM  
Blogger Elroy opined...

My kids only got a stinking 2 hour delay. This is so not fair.

January 12, 2007 9:46 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, that's what you get for livin' deep in the heart of Texas! Y'all have a good weekend, too.

Rain days. That's funny. (I don't mean to laugh but all the Midwesterners keep mocking my snow days and it feels good to be smug about rain).

Whatever, Spouse. I suppose I should just be grateful that you still kiss me goodbye.

Gina, I personally believe that if it's going to be that cold then there should be snow on the ground!

SCG: My spagetti recipe uses little red chilies...and it's an Italian recipe. So maybe those New Mexicans knew what they were doing. I don't know if there was coffee or not, I was busy waiting to give The Child the good word. I'm about to venture out now and see if I can navigate the roads. Still snowed in up there?

J: No kidding...you should have seen her face.

K: See comment to Jlow. Replace "Texas" with "Florida".

January 12, 2007 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

This is getting out of hand. Her education is being compromised.

I'll write the principal and see if we can't schedule some make-up days in the summer.

January 12, 2007 10:05 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Look at it this way, Leroy. At least you don't have JP threatening to complain to the principal.

January 12, 2007 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

In Utah, snow days are simply refered to as "this is Utah so get your butt out of bed" days. Which is far too long to say so we just stick to general grumbling.

January 12, 2007 12:29 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Utah is harsh.

January 12, 2007 12:56 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Yay for the child!

January 12, 2007 2:16 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Huzzah!

January 12, 2007 5:33 PM  
Blogger Middle Child opined...

Funny world isn't it...sometimes here if it gets past about40-45degrees celsius and the school is not airconditioned they are kind enough to close down... not when I was a kid though...we just formed little puddles of humanity on the desks in the heat... and were just melted blobs by going home time ;)

January 12, 2007 8:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish & Iwanski, Yay & huzzah, indeed.

MC: Liking the image of little puddles of humanity...

January 12, 2007 9:33 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I'm gonna have to heartily disagree with you on one salient point lorraine,..I think you would make a wonderful school principal. ;)

January 13, 2007 12:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yeah, right, Sling. I can see it now. "Golly, it's MLK weekend. Let's see...no school on Monday. Well, crap, what's the point of a 4 day week? No school until next Monday. Who's in?"

January 13, 2007 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home