Monday, November 06, 2006

Soapbox Alert. Watch Your Step.

Yesterday we received our 412th GOTV call. It began "Hi, this is Senator Patty Murray and I hate automated messages as much as you do. But Tuesday we have a historic opportunity". And she's right.

Vote. If you vote absentee, get that sucker in the mail today. If you vote in person then clear your calendar, get up early if you have to, grab your voter registration and get to the polls.

Voter turnout in this country has been steadily declining, from 62% in 1960 to 53% in 2004. There are a lot of reasons why people don't vote, from the sense that one vote doesn't count to complete disallusionment with political parties and the process. After what we saw in Florida in 2000 I don't know how anyone can say one vote doesn't matter, but I still hear it said. And I'll grant that there are many, many things wrong with our system, much to be cynical about. Fine, the system isn't perfect. You're really going to cede your Constitutional right to vote because everything isn't humming along the way you think it should? Geez, if we applied that line of thinking to any other aspect of life we'd be pretty unproductive, unlovable people. You're going to be waiting a long time for perfection. You have the right and the obligation to vote tomorrow. So do it!

It astonishes me. People fight and die all over the world for the right to vote. And I'm not just talking about soldiers. I mean regular every day people like you and me. They are willing to die for something that any red-blooded American is entitled to do from the age of 18. And yet far too many of us can't be bothered. I'm telling you to bother. Be a responsible citizen. Show up and make your voice heard. Elections are stolen in this country all the time but I can't help but believe that it's an absence of voters that makes it so easy. If we all show up, if we are all invested in the process, I truly do believe things can be different.

To my Republican readers: if you are pleased with the way President Bush has done his job then there is nothing I can say that will change your mind. Personally, I don't blame him for the troubles we're facing nearly so much as I blame the corrupt rubber-stamp Republican Congress that has given him a pass on his agenda. We can change that tomorrow. It is the job of Congress to provide checks and balances on the President. This Congress has failed in that duty. Tomorrow is a referendum on their performance. I'd love to see you all send a message by voting Democrat tomorrow if for no other reason than to say, "Dude, this is so NOT the party of Eisenhower. Dang, it's not even the party of Reagan. Get your acts together". But if you don't feel that way that's fine. Go vote Republican...just make sure to vote. Because you can. Go in peace.

To my international readers: Most Americans are well aware that the failures of this administration are affecting you and yours in very negative ways. We know that goodwill has been squandered and that diplomacy has taken a back seat to empire building. (Actually, I think diplomacy was actually kicked off the bus). A lot of us are very ashamed of that and we are going to try to fix it. Wish us luck.

To the choir: you know what is at stake (and no, I don't mean my cheese shipment from Wisconsin). A Democratic majority isn't going to magically usher in a new era of peace, justice and prosperity for our nation. But it will put a stop to the runaway failures of Bush & Co. He cannot keep defiling the Constitution, waging war and taking money out of your pocket for his rich friends if the Dems have the votes to stop him. You know that. So get your ass out of your house tomorrow and vote. And if you have time, call and email everyone you know to make sure they vote, too. It doesn't matter what the pundits are telling us, we don't win if we don't show up and turn out that vote with the same vigor and resolve that the Republicans are bringing to the job. Do your part. If you don't vote, you can't complain. Just saying.

To my Washington state readers: Please don't let the Pineapple Express keep you from the polls tomorrow. Get out your waders and bumbershoots, forge every stream and vote!

I'm going to be working tomorrow from sunup to sundown to help. Because I can. And I'm excited about that. I'm excited to make coffee, remind people to drink water and lay out buffets of take-away Chinese food. I'm looking forward to the spirit, the jokes and the comraderie because it will be exciting. And I can't wait to go to the victory party tomorrow night and hang with all the other folks who have worked so hard to keep Washington blue. I expect that we'll watch the numbers and have plenty to celebrate with every new precinct counted. A cheer will go up anytime another state in the Union goes blue. (I will personally be doing a little happy dance when Bob Casey defeats Rick Santorum in Pennsylvania).

I'm also nervous. Whether or not I go to bed happy tomorrow night will depend on whether we were successful in turning out the vote. I think we can do it but it's a long way from here to there. But I'm hopeful. You know me, Perky McPerkerson.

I won't be blogging tomorrow and I'll miss you but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Too much is at stake and I really want my cheese.



True Majority has an online Election Preparedness Kit that you might want to check out. Additionally, if you should encounter any problems at the polls or see something (not enough working machines, people getting hassled, whatever) you can call 1-866-OUR-VOTE for assistance. This is a nonpartisan effort to make sure that our elections are free and fair.

Labels:

26 Comments:

Blogger Unknown opined...

You go, girl! And thanks for what you do for our country.

November 06, 2006 10:44 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Just doing my bit, sir. Just doing my bit.

November 06, 2006 10:55 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You're welcome, Rachael. Now go vote. Do it for that cute little butterfly girl of yours.

November 06, 2006 11:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Good post (and that from me, a Republican). I hate that so many people simply don't bother to vote, whatever party they support. How sad. I'll never forget how hard we fought for the right to vote at 18 instead of 21. Friends were going to Vietnam, and they couldn't vote. 1971 was an awesome year! Sadly, at the time of the 1972 election, though I was a freshman in college, I was still just 17 and couldn't vote. Oh how I wanted to vote out Richard Nixon! I was a rabid Democrat then. Funny how we change. But then, the parties have changed. I'm not excited about a lot that has happened in the Republican party, nor do I agree with everything our president has done, but I am scared of some of the changes the Dems want (higher taxes mostly). So I will vote a very mixed ballot - voting for a couple of Dems locally because I like their positions on some issues better, and Idaho is a bit TOO Republican for my tastes these days - and probably even a Democrat for governor. My husband's vote will cancel mine out, though. He's strictly a party guy. I am still reviewing positions to decide how I'm voting on the national races. It's an interesting year.

November 06, 2006 11:56 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Not that it will make any difference, Gina, but I don't think rolling back some of the tax cuts that have been given to the rich are going to necessarily translate into higher taxes for the rest of us. Remember, it was under a Democrat that we reduced the deficit and built a surplus, a surplus that has been squandered by supposedly fiscally responsible Republicans.

That said, I applaud the fact that you, as a Republican, are looking to hold your party accountable. They owe that to you.

Just vote, baby. Just vote.

November 06, 2006 12:25 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

I'll resist my contrarian urge to launch into an arcane lecture about rational voter apathy, Lorraine, and instead just second everything you wrote. People who don't vote have no right to complain when this country is circling the drain. And people who don't complain are no friends of mine.

November 06, 2006 12:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Voting and complaining are our patriotic duty. You know that.

November 06, 2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Yeah Lorraine!

God bless America!

November 06, 2006 4:28 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Also, I hope Gina sees through those Republican lies about tax increases. There's still time to see the light.

Unless she's a millionaire, she has nothing to worry about.

November 06, 2006 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

These things you say so eloquently,should be self-evident to any one born in this country.Naturalized citizens cherish the right to vote.Countless people in the world pray for it.The fact that so many in this country don't do it,is beyond my comprehension.
Well done lorraine,kick some ass tomorrow...

November 06, 2006 4:34 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm hoping all people of goodwill see through the Republicans lies tomorrow, Iwanski.

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Sling.

November 06, 2006 4:45 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

NUmber one: I love you SOO MUCH
Number Two: Thank you for the lengthy comment on my blog... made me think... which is why you are my favorite Aunt!!
Number three: I met the governor today
Number four: I was very excited about the usage of the "pineapple express" in your blog because I know what that is!!
Number five: I love YOU SOOOO MUCH and Thanksgiving is almost here!!! :)
Number six: I promise you I will be an avid voter at age 18

November 06, 2006 5:48 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Molly,

#1: Back atcha.
#2: You're welcome. I like that you think. It's why you're my favorite neice.
#3: Cool! How come? Skipping school to lobby again?
#4: You're so smart.
#5: Ditto & whoopee!
#6: I know you will, Peanut. I know you will and I'm proud of you.

November 06, 2006 7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

My wife and I live in a state far, far away from you. We are a tiny blue minority in a very, very red state. We have already early voted using our special red-state voting strategy: not straight (Democrat) ticket, but first voting for every Democrat, but since there are many races without one, we then vote Libertarian. I did vote for one Republican, so that I will have the ability to say I voted for her when I complain about something or another. (She did not have a Democrat or Libertarian opponent to vote for.) I would love to win something sometime. Good luck with being blue.

November 06, 2006 9:30 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Lorraine,Thank you for this post! My husband and I just went over the "list". We will take our kids including the exchange student with us! Ok, back to singing.

November 06, 2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Good for you, Ed.

CM: Taking the kids to the polls...yes! That is one of the most important things you can do next to actually voting. They need to see that it matters to you and then it just might matter to them. (Lord knows I'm the way I am because of Dame Judi & Sean).

November 06, 2006 9:40 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Nice post Lorraine!

November 07, 2006 3:21 AM  
Blogger Dan opined...

I still can't believe that so many people actually trust one party over another -- as if one party was made of super-good humans while another party was made of no-good humans. The enthusiastic trust just boggles my mind!

May the best crook win!

November 07, 2006 5:20 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dan, While there are those, in both parties, who do the good v. evil thing, I don't believe I'm among them. I don't like a lot of the Republican leadership but I don't think every Republican is a horrible person (I know at least 5 who aren't). And I don't believe all Dems are saints (not even Barak).

Despite the myriad imperfections of both humans and the organizations and processes they create, I figure I can't effect change or bitch about what's not working if I haven't shown up.

And yes, I still believe in Santa Claus.

Thanks, Grish.

November 07, 2006 6:37 AM  
Blogger jLow opined...

L - Great post (as per usual). And yes, ma'am, I went and voted EARLY last week. nanner nanner

I know you won't be posting today (Election Day) but I saw the news this morning about the weather in your area and I just want to say I hope you and yours are all safe and dry.

November 07, 2006 6:49 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Good girl! And yeah, it's pretty gnarly but so far we are all safe. Dry, not so much.

November 07, 2006 6:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Lorraine and Iwanski...

I guess lies are in the eye of the beholder. ;) I mean that in the nicest possible way, really. I think there are lies on both sides. For me, the tax cuts were HUGE, and I'm far from a millionaire. With W2 income in the $100,000 a year range for the two of us combined, I went from getting a $100 refund in 2004 to a $3,000 refund in 2005, and this was while we both made more money at our jobs and I lost less money in my side business (less of a write-off). So, yeah, I think the tax cuts helped.

Regardless, I am not keen on all the red politicians and think ALL elected officials need to be held accountable much more so than they have been.

This will be an interesting evening.

November 07, 2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger Dan opined...

Lorraine, your point is well-taken, but consider my situtation. I'm going to re-post a comment here that I just posted on Sling's blog.

I hear "Go out and vote" shouted endlessly, like an unexamined mantra. And it always comes from folks who are happy with a candidate or a party and who assume the same is true for everyone else in the entire country.

My problem is that no packaged deal fits with my belief system ... and I can't bring myself to compromise half of my belief system by voting for one or the other. I agree with half of what Democrats believe in and half of what Republicans believe in. I'm screwed!

I'm glad so many of my friends fit perfectly with one of the available parties. I don't think I will ever come close. (And please don't tell me that write-ins will make a difference, or that I should run myself -- that's like suggesting I open a restaurant because I can't find one to dine in.)

Never assume that if someone doesn't vote they're lazy. In some extremely important cases, they haven't found someone who represents their views.

November 07, 2006 2:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Gina, (and I hope this doesn't sound patronizing because it isn't meant to be) Your heart is in the right place. Too much of politics is spin and deception and all the rest. But you know what? I can't bring myself to believe that your situation is going to deteriorate between now and '08. And it might even get better. Know why? Because this President (who has disappointed you) is going to have to work with the Dems now. And that can only be a good thing.

Dan, A) Given the general tone of comments to this post I applaud you speaking in a dissenting voice. Because, you know, I'm kind of about that stuff. and 2) I guess the only thing that bothers me is that because you haven't found a place/party/whatever that corresponds enough to your views, you feel disenfranchised from the entire process. That kinda sucks. But dude, I totally honor you for bringing all this to the party. (The bloggy party, obviously).

November 08, 2006 1:17 AM  
Blogger Dan opined...

Thanks Lorraine for the kind words. This morning, by the way, I'm feeling no different than yesterday. Not happier, not sadder. A party that represents a different 50% of my belief system will be in power in two months. That's about all I can say.

It's just another day! And I guess there's something Zen in that ... which is good. ;)

November 08, 2006 5:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Lorraine - totally NOT patronizing! I don't think things will change much between now and '08 either. It's just that I doubt the tax cuts will be made permanent, and that's a bit of a concern. What does concern me is that with the a Democratic Congress and a Republican president, nothing will get accomplished. We're back to gridlock. And with the numbers so close, no one party having a huge majority, that is even more of a problem. I just saw a chart on TV that showed that, since1949, when the GOP has been in control of the Executive and Legislative branches, the stock market has gone up an average of 13.8%. With a GOP pres and either a Dem or split Congress, it has gone up only 6.8%, and THAT has a big effect on the economy. The only thing I kind of hang onto is that a lot of the Dems who won claim to be moderates, holding a lot of my same beliefs. So maybe everything will be okay. We'll have to wait and see.

Now, to respond to Dan... Dude...I'm in the same boat. In fact, I'll bet there are a lot more of us than you might think. I think they call us moderates. We don't like 100% of what either party stands for, so what do you do? You vote on a candidate by candidate basis for the one who best represents your views. You can't just not vote. Do your friends really fit perfectly into one party or another, or are they just not telling you how they really feel? Anyway, don't give up hope.... vote, vote, vote... I don't know where you live, but if you don't live in one of those totally Red or totally Blue states, then your vote is important. It's tought to live in a state that is so overwhelmingly one color or another because you do tend to think one vote doesn't matter at all. That's my situation. But I still voted, even though I know one of the guys I voted for has no prayer. But at least I exercised my constitutional right - a right people in Iraq died for. A right a lot of people in the world would kill to have. Chin up, dude, chin up.

November 08, 2006 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home