Saturday, November 04, 2006

Fashion Icons

Ok. I think you get by now that I liked a lot of what was going on in the '80s. It should be noted, in the interest of full disclosure, that I was rather suceptible to the fashion of the time as well. Here are two of my influences.

I had a fantastic apricot colored satin dress that I bought at Deluxe Junk, which had cap sleeves, a shirtwaist and tiny covered buttons, not unlike the dress in the opening of Cyndi's video. I loved that frakking dress. I wish I still had it. I wish I could still fit in it.



And as for Madonna, I was never the hugest fan. I liked some of her earlier stuff very much and while on some level I've respected the fact that she's taken on the entertainment industry on her own terms, lots of times she kinda makes me go "meh". I mean, really, being controversial for the sake of being controversial...that's kind of adolescent and sheesh, she's only a year younger than I am. On the other hand, sometimes I think she and I could totally hang.

Despite my conflicted feelings about Madonna, I really love this song. I love it more than "Holiday", which is the early Madonna song everyone is supposed to love. But this one is my favorite. It came before all the Madonna "stuff": before Sean, before salacious MTV Music Awards appearances, before Sex and even, I think before "Desperately Seeking Susan" (which is one of my favorite movies). And I loved the look...the hair, the lace mitts (totally had some...two pairs, one black and one white)...the bobby socks with heels...and as I type this I think I should feel embarrassed but dang it, I worked it. And isn't that what youth is all about?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Borderline was always my favorite Madonna song. Until the Like a Prayer album.

November 05, 2006 12:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Why am I not surprised?

November 05, 2006 3:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I share your attitude about Madonna. She does have a smoking body for a woman her (our) age, though. And I really like her dance songs. "Borderline", though, is one I can barely tolerate as it was played to death by aerobics instructors, myself included. There are a dozen or so songs that aerobics classes ruined for me. Sad.

November 06, 2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I knew there was something wrong with aerobics.

November 06, 2006 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home