Wednesday, October 11, 2006

So There


I did it. I started a file labeled "High Schools" and put some stuff in it from last night. I filed it behind this year's Parent Handbook and it's going to sit there until we need it. One more step toward making peace with my child getting older.

The hooha last night was just fine. I told The Principal that we were only going to one session because we needed to get home. (I didn't tell her we needed to get home to eat hoisin pork in homemade onion crepes and watch "Gilmore girls"). I let The Child decide which session we should attend and she chose the one for a school not previously on the list but which she's become enamoured of. (I am assuming this interest has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that a particular boy hopes to go there).

And I must admit, I was impressed. It sounded like a pretty fine school. The admissions dude talked about how they are unique among the Catholic high schools in that, while they do look at grades, they also look at leadership potential and a kid's school and community involvement. They do accomodate LD kids. It's not huge, it's closer to our house than our (so far) #1 choice and they have an undefeated girls volleyball team.

The Child was the only kid at our session (and she was very cute and attentive) so the school's principal gave her a school t-shirt. She also scored pens and rubber bracelets. She read the entire school prospectus in bed last night and woke up this morning just bursting to tell me all she'd learned.

I did not want to rain on her parade but I did feel compelled to tell her that we are in the "information" phase and no decisions are being made until next year. Which she got. But she's still excited.

Meanwhile, she looked particularly cute this morning. I told her that she looks very mature when she wears her uniform skirt instead of pants. (I don't know why this is but it's true). "Oh, well,"she said, nonchalantly hoisting her backpack on her shoulder, "that's probably because I've decided to start acting like I'm already in high school".

I think that's a good thing.

I said, "I realize this will fall on deaf ears because you're a kid and kids are always focused on their future but you know, don't forget to enjoy your time right now. As Warren Zevon said, 'Enjoy every sandwich'".

"Huh?"

I explained and then she said, "Who's Warren Zevon?"

"You know, the "Werewolves of London" guy".

"Oh, right. Him".

And then she sang "Ah-oooo, werewolves of London" all the way to school

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

"that's probably because I've decided to start acting like I'm already in high school"...
I think that's a good thing too.
Confident,decisive,and hopeful.
I enjoyed this post on several levels :)

October 11, 2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Ahh, high school...

I have many, many fond memories of keggers and drag races .. or was that college... it's hard to tell as it's all just a blur...:P

October 12, 2006 4:01 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Is that Patti Duke?

October 12, 2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Sling. I hope that's what she meant. And not what Grish thought of!

Yes, honey, that's the girl that's only seen the sights a girl can see from Brooklyn Heights.

October 12, 2006 9:31 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Charlie, I saw one having a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

October 12, 2006 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home