Saturday, October 07, 2006

We Laughed. We Cried. We Ate Risotto.

Both The Spouse and I were very excited about last night's premiere of "Battlestar Galactica". I mention this because you may not have picked up on the fact that we are, how you say, fans of the show. But first we had our typical Friday night family dinner-&-a-movie.

Dinner was one of the best risottos I've ever made. It was sausage risotto but instead of grilling the sausages and serving them on top of the rice I took the meat out of the casings and scrambled it with the onions and arborio before adding the stock. There were bits of sausage-y goodness in every bite. It was really nice.

Movie was a surprisingly good film, "The Greatest Game Ever Played".

Dame Judi had recommended the film. Which is about golf. Which she doesn't play. So the fact that she was so emphatic about our need to see it was compelling. And while I suppose it is, on the face of it, about golf it is really about following your dreams (even if your father is a jerk about them) and about class and nationalism (and how being "the best" has the power to transcend that) and about the importance of keeping your head in the game and about how mothers are wonderful people (ok, that bit might have been more subtle than some of the other themes but I picked up on it). It is stylistic, beautifully made and well-acted. Sometimes Disney really gets it right. There. I said it. Highly recommend the film.

And then....

There are not even enough superlatives in my lexicon to tell you how good "Battlestar Galactica" was last night. The show airs on the SciFi channel but the only thing remotely scifi about it is that there are spaceships and robots. (The cylons. The ones with the plan).

The premise -if you don't know- is that the cylons, created by man, have evolved and rebelled and have turned on humankind. There is a remnant of survivors and the story has to do with saving the human race, fighting the cylons (who outnumber the humans by some superfantastically high number) and figuring out how to start over again. The story is way more about politics and religion and what motivates people to do what they do than it is about aliens and technology. And. I. Love. It.

Trivia: Did you know that the reason JP thought I would like this show was because I was a fan of "The West Wing"? "Battlestar Galactica": adventure show for wonks.

This is going to be a lazy day and I deserve it, don't you think? I'm going to play "Age of Empires III", I'm going to read the November issue of Martha Stewart Living and I may even take a nap. I may make some applesauce but that's a more contemplative thing than it is a doing thing. And it will make the house smell really nice. The Child is in charge of dinner. Should be a perfectly lovely day. Hope yours is, too.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Renee opined...

Thanks for filling me in about the show. I felt stupid asking.
The only TV we get to watch around here is TV that has made it to DVD.
Has battlestar?

October 07, 2006 2:20 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Charlie - ;o)

Renee - It is on DVD. The third season just started and we hadn't seen it before. JP raved about it so much that we caught up via Netflix. There is a miniseries that comes first, which introduces the basic premise and main characters...a must-view if you're going to get into it. But be warned, it gets pretty intense, on just about every level. "A Room with a View" it's not.

October 07, 2006 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I tivo'd "The greatest game ever played",and have watched it several times.It's an excellent film for all the reasons you said.
I did pick up on the whole,"How wonderful Moms are" aspect,but found myself more focused on the, "Up yours establishment,eat shit and die!" nuance of the story. :)

October 07, 2006 2:53 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, sure, Sling. That would resonate with you, wouldn't it? For the record, you can join my country club if you want to. You know, after I knock down some poor kid's cottage to build one.

October 07, 2006 3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Trivia: Did you know that I never once sat through an entire episode of The West Wing? Mostly I just wanted someone else to get hooked on this show, and I chose you. It was part of my plan.

October 07, 2006 8:34 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hello? Did we just identify the 12th cylon?

October 07, 2006 8:57 PM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

It is good to just enjoy evenings in with the family, eat well and enjoy a good show. I am finding it more difficult these days to get my brood together to do so- the older ones always want to go out with their mates and Sam is too young to watch some oth the shows we like- arghh. We had a sausage casserole yesterday though and believe it or not- ate together!
We're enjoying our Sunday here too.
Bests

October 08, 2006 5:04 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Mmm, sausage casserole. That sounds yummy. The trick, I suppose, is to enjoy it when you can get it. We're not quite yet to the "I've got other plans" stage with The Child but I can see it glimmering in the distance.

October 08, 2006 8:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Second try....

I had the weirdest dream last night about making pizza with risotto in it (on it? in the crust?) and then I wake up and read this post. Strange indeed. Now I'm craving risotto - specifically sausage risotto. :)

I think The Greatest Game Ever Played is one of the all time great movies. The fact that it's a true story adds even more to it. I am a golfer (or was in a past life) so enjoyed it on that level as well. As for BSG... I saw the movie, but have watched only snippets of the series. Guess I should get the DVDs and catch up, then start tivo'ing it. :)

October 09, 2006 10:17 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ah, Gina, I see the mind-meld is starting to work...soon you will be planning your menues...soon you will be planning your menues...

And if you have TiVo, by all means, start recording the shows and catch up! And find someone who TiVoed Friday night's episode. Do it now! (Or not).

October 09, 2006 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home